What would you do??

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mickstix

RCTalk Champion
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Here's the scenario.. I'm almost done breaking in this SH .28 big block.. I've run 4 tanks of fuel through it doing the old "idle, 1/4, 1/2 throttle figure 8's method" then the weather turned cold and it set for 2 weeks.. When I went to finish the breakin I couldn't get it to run, and after gettin the needles out of whack I found that the glow ignitor was the issue.. So, now the weathers nice, I've got 2 ignitors, and I put the motor back to stock "factory" settings, which are 3 full turns out on both the HSN and LSN, and 1mm on the idle.. Now, today I get ready to go, I warm up the block, prime the carb, put on the ignitor and start it.. It'll start ok and idle, as long as the glow ignitor is hooked up.. If I pull the ignitor it'll die immediately.. So, no biggy, it's not broken in fully yet, I'll just run it with the ignitor.. But, even with the juice hooked up, if I even touch the throttle, it'll die.. Ok, it's way too rich.. Now here's the issue.. Everything I've read says to breakin the motor with the LSN at factory spec, and tune with the HSN?? But I know the LSN is way too rich.. So much so that I can't even get it to run w/o flooding it.. And when I tune the LSN, it took almost 3/4 of a turn (lean) to get it to run w/o the ignitor and be able to give it throttle.. But I dont want to screw this motor up, so is there something else I should do, with the HSN, to get it to run for the rest of breakin, or go ahead and lean out the LSN now, then worry about the HSN once I'm done breaking it in?? (BTW: For these last 2 or more tanks of breakin, I'm going to finish with the "heat cycle" method, cause I'm not comfortable doing full pull passes with it just yet, this early in it's life..) Is that ok? So, what would you do in this situation?? :whhooo: I seem to be able to give others advice pretty easily on what I think they should do, but on mine I'm scared to death I'm gonna lunch the thing, since my 1st motor (a small block in a differnt car) bit the dust pretty early in life.. Ok, Thanks again for reading through my novel and helpin me decide what to do.. lol.. :D

Last edited:
You've got 4 tanks on it so you're going to have to do what it takes to stay running. 3/4 turn sounds like a lot to me for a lsn,I'd try leaning the hsn some first. That also makes a difference on what happens when you give it some throttle. Use the servo trim to raise the idle speed some until you get it tuned also if it dies a lot.
Are you using a temp gun? As long as your temps are good and decent smoke, you won't hurt it by leaning it to stay running. I wouldn't be afraid to pin the throttle some either,just short blasts though until you get few more tanks through it.

Leaning the LSN is no problem. Heat the engine to 180-200 range 2. start the engine if it won't run without the glow heater lean the LPN 1 hour at a time till it will idle. With your hand work the thottle in and out look at the smoke as soon as you pull the thottle you should have a puff of smoke and instantly start to clear. If the engine wont take the thottle lean the LPN till it will. You hhave 4 Tanks on the engine right. Make a couple of laps on the track and check the temp i would run it around 190 or so till i had 1/2 gal. on it . Then you can race tune your engine and not worry. Remember most engine are damaged in the first gal of fuel. Once you have run a gal. or so inspect the con rod and replace if it has the less bit free play. Then run it like you stole it and it will take it.

Thanks guys, for the suggestions!! I just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing something wrong by leaning the LSN before it was broken in..

Olds, no I'm still using the original plug.. Looked clean (lean) last time I looked at it, before starting this process over.. I have a new plug to try though if you think I should? Would a spent plug cause it to act way rich? I've not figured out (or even tried really) reading plugs yet.. I take em out and if there clean and glow bright I assume there good. If there greasy looking (and burn bright) I wipe em' off with carb cleaner and assume there good.. hehe :p

Lean the LSN, totally normal. A lot of SH engines need that much adjustment initially.
The LRP's come 3 turns out, tuned properly they are closer to 2 turns out. Just an example...
You'll do more damage overleaning the HSN than you will overleaning the LSN. Just remeber to reduce the idle gap. 1/2mm is ideal.

Thanks for the reassurance!! Now if the weather would cooperate I could get this damn thing finished and have some actual fun with it!! :) Weatherman says rain again tomorrow.. Arggg.. :(

Try raising the idle 1st before leaning it out +1 on heating it up to 180-200
what #plug are you using

I'd definitely try the new plug. Glow plugs are always the first suspect. No matter how they look.

I eventually did put a new plug in. Didnt make a noticeable difference.. This is an old thread though.. This was the "calm" before the Diagnostic Time Again "storm".. :D lol..

Back