What can I do with old motors?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidB1126

Team Bomb Pop
Supporter
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
  4. Scale Builder
Got 3 Titan 12T brushed motors sittin on the shelf.

Don't have a brushed esc, anymore. As I was kind of a dummy and sold of my old xl5 from the rustler. The other xl5 I had from the slash, I fried it due to reverse polarity so I tossed it.

All of that was like 2 years ago

Might consider getting a brushed esc and maybe convert the rustler back to brushed just to try it out.

See on how 90s brushed power is compared to 2020s modern brushless power.

Idk.

Do I want to go with a traxxas esc? heck no. Cause its overpriced. As we all know traxxas likes to overprice their junk stuff electronics.

Looking at the Hobbywing Quickrun 1060 G2 brushed esc. Any opinions on that esc? Are their other cheaper options?

Or should I put get a esc, put it in the slash, and run insanely high gearing and try to burn them up?

Or should I just continue to let those motors sit on the shelf and sit there to show off how beautiful vintage motors were? If I do, Ill de solder the wires off so I have some spare wire I can use.

1 Titan motor was from the rustler
2 Titain motors was from the slash. But they are all the same, doesn't matter which car they came out of
Last time I used them, I ran them in a bucket of water to clean out the motor and get rid of some squealing sounds.
run insanely high gearing and try to burn them up?
Watched one of Telecomando RC's video about comparing a BL2s to a Titan 12T in a slash 4x4
Nothing like that brushed electrical motor burning smell.

I'd get a brushless esc that can handle brushed. Gives you options. Castle sidewinder I know does. That's a lil south of $70. I'm sure there are others.

Got 3 Titan 12T brushed motors sittin on the shelf.

Don't have a brushed esc, anymore. As I was kind of a dummy and sold of my old xl5 from the rustler. The other xl5 I had from the slash, I fried it due to reverse polarity so I tossed it.

All of that was like 2 years ago

Might consider getting a brushed esc and maybe convert the rustler back to brushed just to try it out.

See on how 90s brushed power is compared to 2020s modern brushless power.

Idk.

Do I want to go with a traxxas esc? heck no. Cause its overpriced. As we all know traxxas likes to overprice their junk stuff electronics.

Looking at the Hobbywing Quickrun 1060 G2 brushed esc. Any opinions on that esc? Are their other cheaper options?

Or should I put get a esc, put it in the slash, and run insanely high gearing and try to burn them up?

Or should I just continue to let those motors sit on the shelf and sit there to show off how beautiful vintage motors were? If I do, Ill de solder the wires off so I have some spare wire I can use.

1 Titan motor was from the rustler
2 Titain motors was from the slash. But they are all the same, doesn't matter which car they came out of
Last time I used them, I ran them in a bucket of water to clean out the motor and get rid of some squealing sounds.

Watched one of Telecomando RC's video about comparing a BL2s to a Titan 12T in a slash 4x4
Nothing like that brushed electrical motor burning smell.
Wrap them in bacon and you’ve got yourself a snack.

Could throw a propeller on one, rig it up on a little stand, and use it as a battery discharger. With 3, you could make it adjustable for different cell counts by putting motors in series.

Could rig up an RC Dyno, using them as the load with a current meter and a switch to select different levels of resistance.

I don't got a 6s. But I do got 3x 2s's to do it.
Possible to hook up 3 batteries at once?

We have a swap meets down here every few months. May find a cheap ESC that way. Or be able to unload those motors to someone else for cheap. Titan 12 turns are $12 on ebay, so it may not even be worth the time effort to do anything with them. But like you I still wouldn't throw them away. Id put them away for a rainy day. Never know what type of roller may come your way for cheap or even free that you could put one in. I got a Slash roller for $20 once. Perfect for an old 12T.

I used to curse the titan 12T. Poor quality, short life span. Now that it's discontinued though, they actually have some value. The local track has a slash class that requires a brushed 12T. Last time I was there, they were offering $20-30 for any you had. Guess they want to keep that class going?

Personally, I'd go with the above suggestion and use them for target practice.

David, pack that 12T brush motor away for ten years. By then you'll be an old hand at RC and may want to try your hand at a resto. Keep your ear to the ground for a matching brush ESC and you'll have a display power unit for that shelf queen in your future.

Still have a Tamiya/Johnson mod brush motor from a buggy install back 1999. One of these days the right application will come along and it'll get used again.

I have half a dozen Xl5's if you want to try putting a brushed setup on something. I also have an 8 track player for car audio if your interested. The fancy kind with rewind even.

If you want to sell them I suspect the return will be minimal. They are $25 new so I would ask $12 used at most. Then shipping is going be about $5. So your getting about $7 each for them. Which is better than a sharp stick in the eye, but then add in the time for selling them and getting to the post. Add in the gas getting there and back and your paying someone $5 each to take them.

So the obvious choices are stick them in a draw until you find something to do with them or put them out with the trash.

Back