Troubleshooting a Hobao Hyper SS Truggy Engine Overheating and Performance Issues

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JacksonG122

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hey guys I recently bought a Hobao hyper ss truggy with a hyper 30. Engine.
I got it run in and tuned fairly well over the break and was happy with where I was at, perfect idle a good reactive lsn and a super quick hsn maybe even slightly lean. All was good.

Now suddenly I have an issue where the engine just takes so much to even slightly move and even at wot it's like I'm only half throttle, and it's absolutely drinking fuel and the engine is running insanely hot, so hot that I'm melting the exhaust gasket and coupler,
It's not running to lean because there is smoke as normal.
I do have a video of this issue if I can be directed on where to post it
Thanks

Hey guys I recently bought a Hobao hyper ss truggy with a hyper 30. Engine.
I got it run in and tuned fairly well over the break and was happy with where I was at, perfect idle a good reactive lsn and a super quick hsn maybe even slightly lean. All was good.

Now suddenly I have an issue where the engine just takes so much to even slightly move and even at wot it's like I'm only half throttle, and it's absolutely drinking fuel and the engine is running insanely hot, so hot that I'm melting the exhaust gasket and coupler,
It's not running to lean because there is smoke as normal.
I do have a video of this issue if I can be directed on where to post it
Thanks

Leak in the fuel line or tank? That could both have the engine running lean and running out of fuel sooner than expected. I had the seal under the cap of one of my nitro's fuel tanks go bad and it caused symptoms like that, and it took me a while to notice because the fuel that sloshed out would just run out the drip-tube.

Leak in the fuel line or tank? That could both have the engine running lean and running out of fuel sooner than expected. I had the seal under the cap of one of my nitro's fuel tanks go bad and it caused symptoms like that, and it took me a while to notice because the fuel that sloshed out would just run out the drip-tube.
Unfortunately not the case, seal is immaculate and all my lines are new

Thanks for the prompt response

I can't stress enough that it's not just a case of the lsn or hsn being out of tune I had it bang on before this issue came about,
I also do not have a temp gun unfortunately, but even just in that run there I wouldn't be able to leave my hand on the engine for any longer then a second

Sounds way too rich on, both needles I'd say. Especially LSN.

But that can't be causing high temperatures. I read about someone having this on a other forum with rich engine but very hot, and the cause seemed to be the brakes somehow frictioning when driving

Sounds way too rich on, both needles I'd say. Especially LSN.

But that can't be causing high temperatures. I read about someone having this on a other forum with rich engine but very hot, and the cause seemed to be the brakes somehow frictioning when driving
I will have to check the breaks out, but I can't imagine there would be any reason for them to be suddenly stuck and causing this,
I would also expect that the engine would rev up even at wot,
I would check your clutch pads and brakes.
What am I looking for on the clutch pads?
Sorry I'm still fairly new at all this

I will have to check the breaks out, but I can't imagine there would be any reason for them to be suddenly stuck and causing this,

Make sure they look normal and nothing is hanging up or rubbing causing extra friction.

Also, any binding in the driveline anywhere can cause the same effect as the brakes dragging so if you dont find any issues with the brakes or clutch then Id start tearing down the rest of the driveline and check all the gears and bearings starting at the center diff/tranny all the way out to all 4 wheels if need be.

Check if the clutch pads have a lot of wear. I would imagine it is not the clutch springs.

Check if the clutch pads have a lot of wear. I would imagine it is not the clutch springs.
Would clutch pads being worn or even stuff like brakes being slightly jammed and or driveline being compromised give me absolutely high end revs? I thought if I pulled throttle and the carbon was open the engine would reach Max rpm regardless of clutch or jamming of some sort?

Alright I have done a bit of pulling apart, nothing wrong with the breaks, nothing wrong with any shafts or anything.
But I have noticed when I plug the outlets in my engine and do a pressure test i have a leak coming from the flywheel area?
This meant to happen? And is this the issue? I did a little googling but haven't really seen people having my issue with this leak?

Leaking bearing? That sucks. And it explains the weird engine sound and why it started sounding like this all of a sudden. Have you seen nitro fuel residues or oil around the flywheel after running?

Leaking bearing? That sucks. And it explains the weird engine sound and why it started sounding like this all of a sudden. Have you seen nitro fuel residues or oil around the flywheel after running?
No I haven't noticed anything like that at all, And there was no residue either. So now I'm thinking it's the rear bearing potentially,
It may be worth doing them both obviously but I'm kind of in shock that an engine so new can have this happen so quickly

Back