Team N301 - Nitro no prep drag racing - List Race #4

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnydmd

Beer drinker and hell racer
Supporter
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
Race #4 in the books. Humid, but not too hot day at around 90. Good track conditions made for some fast, and very close races. Ongoing health issues for two members continue to leave us shorthanded, but we look forward to the imminent returns as they continue to heal. One other member had a last minute scheduling conflict that further depleted things. That being said, this day would show just how far everyone has come with the cars this season as we laid down some of the best licks of the year.

367400743_149132871557929_3127813385876109914_n.jpg

We started the day here:

367408818_695478812409728_4233335626517429879_n.jpg

Note: I mistakenly circled Incinerator as the round 1 winner, as actually Hissed Off took the race, running down the Nova in an epic battle, ending my Bro-in-law's reign of terror :) Again he absolutely nailed the tree, which has been a common theme and everybody else has taken notice. This caused him to win driving Invader 1, against Cujo, who redlighted because he got twitchy knowing this.

The big mover of the day was Holy Ghost who moved straight up the list with some insanely close wins against Invader 2 and KillerNova. The ghost eventually got a shot at #1 against its nemesis and arch-rival Hissed Off (which, is now wearing a Gen2 Viper Ofna Viper skin incidentally) and came up just short as he had to get out of it on the big end.

Invader 1 also moved up despite having a myriad of technical and tuning issues. The fastest car of the day had to be KillerNova, but a series of DQ's for crossing kept it from running straight up the list. Eventually some adjustments were figured out and he had it rolling, and after the list race we did some grudging and it beat both Invader 2 and Hissed Off in a couple of very close races.

We ended the list like this:
367410882_967072571266282_8409440361086752887_n.jpg

Invader 2 was definitely much improved from last time, with the engine fully broken in and more dialed in, and the tire rub issues resolved. It really launched hard and out 60 footed every car it faced but kept getting run down as the engine just bogged down on the big end with a plume of blue smoke. It was a little perplexing. I leaned it as much as possible, but it didn't help. Then on the drive home it dawned on me that the return line was far too short and building up way too much pressure at high rpms. That .30 moves a LOT of air compared to a .21, especially being a short stroke engine too. With a tiny 2.5 oz Jato tank, it's just shoving fuel in when it gets cranking. I had a similar problem before with the original Invader and having too short of a return line. I noticed that the car did run much better when the tank was nearly dry, but at half full or 3/4's it was really having the bog issue on the big end. I had an idea on that drive, that rather than coil up a bunch of line, I could use one of the little Sullivan tanks I wasn't using for anything as an expansion chamber that would really give a lot of pressure relief, and in theory give me a much more consistent, wider tuning window.
20230813_220844.jpg

This I will test out this evening when I get home from work.

Next, and final 2023 N301 list race will be Mid-September, with a cookout and presentation of the belt to the champion to keep for a year.

Back