Good choice for a buggy newb!!!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
most club tracks will allow the motor. as there are a ton of RTR buggies out there that people are gettin into the class/hobby with that come w/ those motors.

legal sanctioned events, yeh need a 21, but most club races ur fine.

-Ult

FastEddy said:
As your looking at the budget, dont forget to add an additional $100-300 for support equipment.
Starter box, temp gun, glow stick, fuel, tools, fail safe. It ads up quick.

Yes, you are absolutely right. The support equipment does add up quickly. Although the starterbox is not really a necesity right away if you get a mill with a pullstart. Although the starter box is a great thing to have. Those 1/8 scale big blocks eat up fuel quick. The only reason I didn't include that into my original statement was because he said he already has a nitro RC. The reason I suggested the Xterm Pro other than the fact its a great buggy at a great price, is because you get to add your own .21 mill and it will be ROAR legal. The 24.7 that comes on all other XTerms is a great mill but not ROAR legal. :2cents:

Last edited:
Hey godale03,
Glad to hear ya like the x-term. (saw your earlier post) Sounds like it is not the "crappy" car you were worried about at first.
I think the XTM stuff is overlooked for some reason. Not as many hop-ups? Hobby People were the only ones that carried them? (Now I see Tower selling them.) I have to order on-line and I can't say enough about Hobby People.

I love my X-term. Here is a recent post off their forum. http://globalservices.globalhobby.com/globalforum/viewtopic.php?t=10613
Bought my kid the x-cell. I haven't run it, but it seems like a great little car. (I told him what broke, he fixed. For that reason, I won't run it) Started to get one for me.

mxboy100, fasteddy's storm looks like a heck of a deal. I think I would jump on it. :cheers:

digger said:
Hey godale03,
Glad to hear ya like the x-term. (saw your earlier post) Sounds like it is not the "crappy" car you were worried about at first.
I think the XTM stuff is overlooked for some reason. Not as many hop-ups? Hobby People were the only ones that carried them? (Now I see Tower selling them.) I have to order on-line and I can't say enough about Hobby People.

I love my X-term. Here is a recent post off their forum. http://globalservices.globalhobby.com/globalforum/viewtopic.php?t=10613
Bought my kid the x-cell. I haven't run it, but it seems like a great little car. (I told him what broke, he fixed. For that reason, I won't run it) Started to get one for me.

Yeah Digger,

The buggy is great... runs great and I get alot of folks asking me what it is and when I tell them they are amazed. They thought it was something more high dollar. I don't run any of the Xterm Decals so she goes anonomous. I hope this buggy catches on and I will not hesitate to recomend this buggy to anyone. Tough right out of the box. Hopefully it will catch on so more hopup stuff starts to show up. My LHS acutually stocks them so I got to see the buggy up close before I bought it. In fact the owner actually races one. Thanks for the advice in that post a few weeks ago. You were right... not a bad purchase at all... The buggy handles even better since I changed the grease to silicone in the diffs.

Tom

Last edited:
godale03,
I love the stories!!! Puts a big smile on my face. :D :D
I can't afford a high end buggy like some. I love it when they have found out they have been beaten by some "entry level, no name, backyard basher." Or even that they can't make an x-term look bad.

They have added a few hop-ups to their list. So maybe they will catch on.
Best o luck with yours. :cheers:

digger said:
godale03,
I love the stories!!! Puts a big smile on my face. :D :D
I can't afford a high end buggy like some. I love it when they have found out they have been beaten by some "entry level, no name, backyard basher." Or even that they can't make an x-term look bad.

They have added a few hop-ups to their list. So maybe they will catch on.
Best o luck with yours. :cheers:

As well with yours my friend!

Tom :cheers:

Well, since my lhs is hobbypeople, i am gonna look into the xterm pro. Cuz i have the x-cellerator, and it is a great car. So i would imagine that the xterm is not different.
So i would get the pro:
Then i need a radio, which i dont have a high end dollar one, but i race stock radios.

So i could just run a certain channel in the xterm and another in my savage. Ill swap the crystals in the tx.

Whats a good motor for racing, a .21 is all my track allows?? A good, easy to tune, cheap motor?

And i already have all the equipment. I think that i will eventually go to starter box tho.

Thanx for all ur input guyz, this is why i always come to this forum!!!

i'm shocked that u HAVE to have a .21 for club races. dont buy a diff buggy b/c of it. use the .26 for practice and fun, then put a OS RG or a GS b01 for racing.

-Ult

See, i was originally planning on getting the mayhem, but the only problem is the only place that i know of to get them and parts are on golden horizons website. I was planning on taking that motor and putting it into my savage for racing, but i just got a new motor that i havent even broken in yet. I am not sure, i think my 2 main choices would be to build up the xterminator pro, or get a mayhem. But i still have to put down a couple hundred just for a new motor for the mayhem.

But ya, it suks that my local tracks dont have a class for larger motors on buggyz, unless i want to run with truggys, which there arent any at one of my tracks. Id be running alone.

xterminator pro: $300
motor: $200-250
radio: mx3 airtronics $180 ( I've gotta get this anyways, for all my other vehicles as well
tires: $50

Mayhem: $550
motor: $200-250
Radio: radios ok, but i would still get one anyways, since I've got all my other trucks $180
I might still be open to other buggyz still tho.

What about trying XTM's .21? Seems like it was between $130 and $170?
I have never been around one, but if it's anything like their 24.7....

Here is a link for the setup one guy has on his x-term. http://globalservices.globalhobby.com/globalforum/viewtopic.php?p=39288#39288 He seems like he is pretty intelligent. I know ya won't want to copy his setup, but it would be a place to start.

I know I keep posting links for another forum, but they have a section just for the x-term. The guys there will jump in and help just like the guys here. A great thing about this hobby... You might be racing against them today, but they will help you until the flag drops. :thumbup:

Mayhem $550.00 ? I know of two places with them in stock for $460. + $7-10.shipping.
The Mayhem comes with a good FM radio and a Very fast motor. Or you can buy used for around $265.- 400.00. Either way you can't go wrong.

digger: I am well known with the global hobby forum, i posted something there today, and everyone said that they love the xterm except for they wish it had a better turning radius for the track. So, thats a bummer, cuz all my tracks are tight.

Sgt Blamo: I am still very interested in a Mayhem, do you have any links to getting a mayhem for 460???????

mxboy100 said:
digger: I am well known with the global hobby forum, i posted something there today, and everyone said that they love the xterm except for they wish it had a better turning radius for the track. So, thats a bummer, cuz all my tracks are tight.

Sgt Blamo: I am still very interested in a Mayhem, do you have any links to getting a mayhem for 460???????

Check this RCNT Thread

I would get one but the layaway plan sucks...

Mxboy,
Here's two links for Mayhems that are NIB :
http://www.warrickcustomhobbies.com/inside/store/product.php?id=6380&cat=151

Here's another one with shipping @ $6.95 !
http://www.southeastrc.com/item/SWK1200

It's my opinion that you WONT find a better buggy for the price. There ARE better buggies, but they don't come with all the good stuff in this price range. The .26 motor it comes with is VERY immpressive, with excellent power all around. There is not a thing you will need to do with the Mayhem except learn to drive it, it's that simple.

:2cents:
mxboy100 said:

My track is tight as well and I have no problems. You can adjust the turning radius on the PRO in three different positions. I have mine handling great. So don't let people try to discourage you from the XTerm. Every buggy has its good and bad points but so ultimately the choice is up to you. In my opinion if your LHS is HobbyPeople then I would get a buggy that you could easily get parts for when you need them and not have to wait 5 days for shipping. Also if your LHS sells and services them then you are sure to find someone that is knowledgable right there in the store. XTM's don't seem to be too popular on this site, everyone wants the high dollar stuff, but if you are like me, and on a budget you will be quite surprised at how well the Xterm stacks up to the competition. Just my :2cents:

Last edited:
What do you guyz think about the jammin x1 cr??
I was at the track today, and a lot of people are racing them.

sweet buggy, smooth over jumps and turns, not many problems reported yet. thats all i know about it.

Back