Good choice for a buggy newb!!!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think that i might get a fantom 21 motor for about 180. I have heard great things about fantom, and its a good deal for a fast motor.
Now my next question is , will i need to swap the stock steering servo on the mayhem?? It seems that it doesn't have that much toque?

Thanx

I was just told by a guy who could have tried to sell me either the Fantom .21 or the OS RG.21. He said the Fantom is a great motor ONLY if you have a spare carb to swap out with the stock carb it comes with. He runs the store and races every weekend and is currently racing with the OS RG.21. He stated that the RG is a very reliable motor with tons of lowend torque and is well suited for a tight track like ours(longest straight away is 65-70 ft long). Price I'm paying is $100.00.

OK guyz, sorry for all the confusion. I have finally made up my mind on what buggy i want and i really appreciate all the input cuz i had noooo idea when i first came into this!!!

I am going to get a kyosho mp777, i have decided because i have made up my mind that i want to build a racer only, and i will be spending about 800-900 for everything. I am almost was positive i was going to get a mayhem, but i dont have a lhs that carries, and i would have to get new radio anyways.

Mp777 kit 320-400
Not sure on motor yet, i am going to see what the people at my track are running 150-250
Airtronics mx3s radio 180( one of these servos i am going to use for throttle)
Starterbox 80-90
Venom failsafe or ofna
Hitec 645 high torque metal gear steering servo 35
tires 40

Do i have to do all my own fluidz such as diffs, shocks???

Thankyou very much everybody, i am still a little weary about the durability of the mp777 though

mxboy100 said:
OK guyz, sorry for all the confusion. I have finally made up my mind on what buggy i want and i really appreciate all the input cuz i had noooo idea when i first came into this!!!

I am going to get a kyosho mp777, i have decided because i have made up my mind that i want to build a racer only, and i will be spending about 800-900 for everything. I am almost was positive i was going to get a mayhem, but i dont have a lhs that carries, and i would have to get new radio anyways.

Mp777 kit 320-400
Not sure on motor yet, i am going to see what the people at my track are running 150-250
Airtronics mx3s radio 180( one of these servos i am going to use for throttle)
Starterbox 80-90
Venom failsafe or ofna
Hitec 645 high torque metal gear steering servo 35
tires 40

Do i have to do all my own fluidz such as diffs, shocks???

Thankyou very much everybody, i am still a little weary about the durability of the mp777 though

The MP777 is a great bug. I have not heard anything negative about durabiltiy, I have however heard that it is a very expensive bug to maintain. I personally looked at the Kyosho's, the 777 and special 1. They are sweet rides. Alot of people recomend them. Stock parts for the Kyosho are expensive and sometimes hard to find. You have read alot of peoples opinions and gotten alot of great advice. That is why I love this site, and the folks on this site. Ultimately the decision is yours and yours alone. Just remember, expenisve is not always better. If you are an experienced model builder than a kit is the way to go, they are not easy to put together either. Expect to put a few weeks or more into getting it together, unless you have the luxury of building on it for more than a couple of hours a day. Also just one more opinion... the OS RG X... great mill. Alot of guys run em at my track and they spend less time tuning than some of the more expensive and touchy mills. Great low end... gets the whole shot off the line, and really powers out of tight turns well. JMO Anyway... good luck and always remember have fun.

Tom

Last edited:
if you got one of the mayems for 460 and an RG for about 110 from the SE link sarge posted you'd still be under your budget and have the Extra mill for your savage and the nicer radio you wanted....just my :2cents:

Ya, thats a possibility. I am just bummed, because i dont have any stores around here that carry mayhem products, or kyosho(1 store, but i can't stand them).

Theres one guys at my track who only practices his mayhem, and he said that he likes it, but wishes he would have gone with the pro so he could have stronger parts. I watched him and he wasn't very good(to say the least), so i guess i can see why he said that. But it looked very sturdy, but he then showed me all of the chassis flex, it was bad, is that a problem with the mayhem??

I just bought an S3 and an XB8, I have been told by several reliable people that getting Kyosho parts as Tower will not be carrying Kyosho any more. I own two Mayhems and have no problem getting parts, I drive 1hr& 15 min to buy locally or buy online. I stock up on certain parts for all my buggies to have on hand at the track. I wouldn't reccomend the K car at present, not only might parts be hard to get, but their more exspensive than Mayhem,Mugen,and Xray. If you stick with one of those three, you CAN'T go wrong.

The mayhem does have some chassis flex but not enough to hurt anything. Believe me when I say that. I design and build parts for the mayhem. So much of my track time is trying to break, bend and just plain kill my Mayhem. I have shock towers designed and built and for sale on ebay as well as a servo topplate and center diff top plate. I'm in the process of designing a one piece chassis braces hopefully avalible in a few weeks.

It's never been an issue, every chassis has to have a certain amount of flex. My two Mayhems jump and handle the bumps and whoops with no problem. You'll just have to go with what you're most comfortable with. You already no my and several others oppinion on which ones to buy, now it's up to you to work thru the advice you've been given.

okay, well, since it seems that parts are impossible to buy for the kyosho now, now i guess my options have been narrowed down pretty far. Because what ever i buy i plan on only using for racing. Well, heres my thoughts on all of the buggies:
ofnas: they break at my track all the time, so not very durable, kind of old
kyosho: awsome, but hard to get parts, pricey
mayhem: awsome, raceable, durable, cheap
xterminator: awsome, but not a very sharp turning radius for tight tracks, durable

So, i guess that i am pretty much down to a mayhem. OK, so now all i need to do is go through all the websites that have been given and find which places have the best prices on mayhem and motor, batteries, failsafe, starterbox maybe, etc..

Thanx guys, i have made my decision.Mayhem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope shipping doesn't take long!

Good decision it will be a great buggy for ya.

Hey Dude,

Congrats on the decision. It is hard decision to make with all the buggies out there. All of them have good and bad points and some are just like buying a chevy or a ford, same type of stuff just different name on the front. Let us know how it goes.

Yeah, i can't wait, i am also checking out ebay to see what kinda deals i can find on there for little parts that i have going to need for the mayhem.!!

can't wait

Check out this stie, I just bought a Mugen Prospec & a ton of parts for less than anywhere else and I was able to buy it locally. Thier price for the Myhem is $468.00 + $6.95 shipping. Stock tires work great on hardpacked clay tracks, stay with the plastic shock spacers but you'll want the aftermarket shock towers. A better steering servo can't hurt but it comes with a decent one. If you order over the phone, ask for Jim, tell him Kyle from Port saint Lucie told you, he'll hook you up.

http://www.southeastrc.com/item/SWK1200

Kool, ok. This is the best price that i have seen yet!! even kooler

Might be a bit off topic - I just broke my Mayhem RTR in. Wow, was that an easy process. Started right up, leaned out the LSN a little bit to keep it running and poof! heat cycled the guy. Easy. Not like breaking in a Hyper 8 Port...omg, I almost blew a blood vessel on that one...

Tell me about it. I had the same experience witht he Hyper 8 port. Most confusing was my HPI SS12 motor on the RS4-3 SS, though.

I am having one hell of a time with tuning my OS RG X.. I think I am going to have a corinary!

Back