Good choice for a buggy newb!!!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The kit is nice, but you're looking at a whole lot-o-money. About $485-535 = kit, $150 minimum for radio, $150 and up for a decent motor, $75 min used servos. Don't buy the X1 RTR, you would be way better off buying the Mayhem RTR, as it beat out the X1 in this months buggy shoot out. If you're going to go big, go with the Mugen MBX5 or the TT XB4,S3, or Kyosho 777 spcl1. Those are the serious racing buggies. If you just want to have fun and race a bit, go with the Mayhem. No other RTR comes close. JMO

Just to let you know in order to build a good car it will cost a lot more than 700. I would go with the mayhem... To build a relly high end buggy your looking at about 1200. Good engine,buggy,tires,equip, and all that.

PiErow, that was the point I was trying to make. And I was using some "used prices too.
If money is the main concern and you want new, then go with the Mayhem, or you could buy a used "race" buggy like I did and am doing. I bought two used Mayhems, both RTR's. One has the stock .26, and it flat out screams. the other has a almost new Hyper.21, 8port, which is decent, but the Sportwerks .26 kicks it's but! Just because the Mayhem is RTR doesn't make it junk. Actualy, I think it's one of THE best RTR's out there! And I'm not a brand loyal guy either, I simply like what works!

The radio that comes with the rtr mayhem, how many model memory is it, is it any good?
I think its the jr x3i??

I think I've come up to the conclusion of either getting a jammin x1cr, or a mayhem.

I have been driving a tmaxx for about 2 and a half years now. I wanted another rc that had better handling, yet could still b bashed. I didnt have a ton of money to spend either. I went for the XTM X-Terminator also. Ended up buyin it off AC48 on this forum. I have had it for a while now and I'm more impressed with it every day. It isnt even the pro but it still can take an unbelieveable amount of bashing without breaking. Just broke my first part the other day because of a runaway, and its nothin major either. As for the turning radius, i have not had a problem with it. I would highly recommend a Xterminator. You will be able to pick one up without droppin so much money, and its a blast! Hope this info is helpfull!

-Cobra198

I believe 3 or 4 model memory. If you're thinking about the Jammn RTR, hands down, go with the Mayhem! I say Mayhem, reiod! No better RTR on the matket for the money! And just so ya don't think I'm biased, I own two Mayhems and am buying a Kyosho K II, or A 777 Spcl 1, & an XB4 S3. In addition, I own two Revo's and two Savage'(one highly moddified).

PS.
I'm recommending the Mayhem only because I believe it to be the best buggy for you based on what you posted, research and my firsthand experiance.

ok, i am about 85% sure i am getting the mayhem rtr. Even though i am going to have a .26, i am going to most likely use that as a back up for my race savage or something. So now i am going to need a decent, durable, fast .21 motor??? Since u know i am on a budget i would really like to keep under 200 bux??

Thanx a lot guyz, to everyone who has helped me this far, especially sgt blamo!!!

Try the OFNA Hyper 8 port. I have seen them under 130 bucks and they are easy to keep in tune. Then get a good pipe to fit your driving needs. Hyper 8 port is a little weak on the low endbut a tuned pipe cures that. Absolutely screams at the top end, though.

Thunder Tiger .21 is supposed to be a good motor, or so I've heard. There are a ton of decent .21 motors for under 200.00. Why can't you run the .26, is it a linited class you'll be running in? You ought to check out Ebay, as I've seen some good used Mayhems.

Ya, my tracks only let .21, and there really isnt anyone that races in the unlimited class. So, i am forced to go to a 21. I saw somethin on the sh 21?? any good

SH is supposed to be good, as are Picco and Collari. I 'v ealso heard that the Fantom .21 is a good, powerfull motor too.

Wow, 2 hp, thats all??
Will that keep up even???

1 horsepower ratings are rarely accurite.
2 it will do just fine on small to medium size tracks
if you want to go faster, youll need to spend more money. same as every other form of motorsport.

okey dokey, o well, I've heard good things about that motor, ill consider it, thanz corrado

i would lean towards the Mayhem also

no problem, if you can muster up about 230 you can pick up a novarossi P5 which is one of the best racing engines you can get. its come down a lot in price due to recent availability, and the new P7.

The RG is a great mill from all that I have read.

Back