Nitro Vs. Gas R/C Buggys (For Racing)

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaulFWI

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
Hello folks,

I am looking for a new hobby for myself and my three daughters, and have decided on RC buggies, for these reasons:

- We already do airplane RC
- They have 'toy' RC cars and love them
- We have a large (4 acre) rural yard and can build a track
- I used to race motocross, and buggy racing is similar

We have also decided on internal combustion-powered vehicles because they think that's "really cool," and I kind of still agree.

That means nitro/alcohol vs. gas. Here are my thoughts on that:

- A 1/8th scale track is more suitable for our back yard
- From my early RC plane days, I HATE the smell of methanol. Gasoline odor, OTOH, is divine
- I want kits, not ready-to-drive models with proprietary parts that can't be replaced, etc
- I can only find ONE nitro buggy kit: The Mugen Seiki MBX8R 1/8 Off-Road Competition Nitro Buggy Kit
- But I can find NO gas buggy kits! None at all!

So, I am torn. For some reason I LOVE small, cheap, two-stroke gas engines. They are easy to start, run great, smell great, and are super cheap for decent performance.

But my choice NEEDS to be a kit, and I see NO gas car kits.

Even tho I think nitro/methanol smells bad, I kind of like the performance aspect. I like the facts that there is competition in that area.

The girls will be happy with either choice. They just want IC - they want "real engines" like "real cars have."

By the way, they are 9, 11, and 13 years old.

Thank you in advance for any thoughts!

Most 8th scale comp race kits are mostly all nitro now. Anything smaller than 6th scale I would say is nitro.
If you want gas, you would have to get a huge 1/5 or 1/4th scale RC. - Primal RC, and Losi 5T, Losi DBXL, and others are 5th scale GAS cars.
There are other nitro buggy kits out there from race brands like Tekno, sworkz, associated, TLR (team losi racing), losi its self. ect.
Its just how it is now these days. Most 8th scale racers use nitro today most likely for their performance. Not a huge thing on 8th scale, and nitro/vs gas
@bill_delong could comment on that.

Losi 8IGHT series / lineup
Tekno NB48
Tekno NT48
Team Associated RC8B4.1
Team Associated RC8T4
Team Associated RC8B4 (last version)
And a whole lot of others. But just like I said, all 8th scale comp kits and cars are all nitro now.

All of the 8th scale offroad classes are
  • 8th Scale Electric Buggy
  • 8th Scale Electric Trugy
  • 8th Scale Nitro Buggy
  • 8th Scale Nitro Truggy
And some 8th scale tracks run 1/10 4WD SCT (Short Course Truck) as most short course trucks which are 4WD can handle 8th scale tracks, and are built up from 8th scale platforms/chassis. But all short course trucks are majority electric.

Last edited:
Most 8th scale comp race kits are mostly all nitro now. Anything smaller than 6th scale I would say is nitro.
If you want gas, you would have to get a huge 1/5 or 1/4th scale RC. - Primal RC, and Losi 5T, Losi DBXL, and others are 5th scale GAS cars.
There are other nitro buggy kits out there from race brands like Tekno, sworkz, associated, TLR (team losi racing), losi its self. ect.
Its just how it is now these days. Most 8th scale racers use nitro today most likely for their performance. Not a huge thing on 8th scale, and nitro/vs gas
@bill_delong could comment on that.

Losi 8IGHT series / lineup
Tekno NB48
Tekno NT48
Team Associated RC8B4.1
Team Associated RC8T4
Team Associated RC8B4 (last version)
And a whole lot of others. But just like I said, all 8th scale comp kits and cars are all nitro now.

All of the 8th scale offroad classes are
  • 8th Scale Electric Buggy
  • 8th Scale Electric Trugy
  • 8th Scale Nitro Buggy
  • 8th Scale Nitro Truggy
And some 8th scale tracks run 1/10 4WD SCT (Short Course Truck) as most short course trucks which are 4WD can handle 8th scale tracks, and are built up from 8th scale platforms/chassis. But all short course trucks are majority electric.

Thanks. Are there any gas KITS you know of? I see the big retailers selling only ready-to-drive cars.

I don't know how it is in the U.S. but here in middle europe there can be found every single part of the FG marder or FG monstertruck. If a gasser works, you almost never have to tune it. But a nitro powered RC needs to be tuned basically every day, and it can cost some time to understand how to tune. The 1/8th losi 8ight can come as a kit

I believe Dynamite/SH made at one time a gas .31 engine that will fit in a 1/8th nitro buggy. That's probably the only 1/8th gas option I've ever seen out there. Those engines can be found once in a while on eBay.

Thanks. Are there any gas KITS you know of? I see the big retailers selling only ready-to-drive cars.
Anything under 1/5 scale is going to be Nitro instead of gas. Losi and HPI tried the 1/8 scale gassers back about 10 years ago or so, and they were both turds. Gas just doesn't seem to work well in that small of an engine. Even when they work right, they lack power vs Nitro.

As for kits, there are still a handful of race kits out there, but it seems like most companies are going more and more toward RTR. Even Vanquish, which used to make some of the best crawler kits out there, is now 99% RTR. @WickedFog was just telling me the other day when he was on their website that they only have one kit left that's not RTR.

I guess I wasn't clear about something - I am NOT looking for a 1/8th gasser. If I did gas I realize it would be larger (1/5th most likely).

But I cannot find any gas *kits* available at all. They are all ready-to-go things that... I don't prefer.

I would prefer a gas car because I prefer gas engines, but want a kit-style thing. It looks like this might not be doable.

(I do know all about tuning nitro engines as I flew nitro RC planes back in college, decades ago...)

Because there is no 8th scale gas racers anymore. It's all nitro
The 8th scale nitro race kits, once you build it up, it is assembled as a roller. You have to buy servos gas tools engine and everything separate.
If you don't want to do that, the only other thing is RTRs.
Or you can look around on ebay and marketplace and see if you can find old 8th scale gas trucks/buggies.

Screenshot_20240110-111613.png

Screenshot_20240110-111620.png

Last edited:
I guess I wasn't clear about something - I am NOT looking for a 1/8th gasser. If I did gas I realize it would be larger (1/5th most likely).

But I cannot find any gas *kits* available at all. They are all ready-to-go things that... I don't prefer.

I would prefer a gas car because I prefer gas engines, but want a kit-style thing. It looks like this might not be doable.

(I do know all about tuning nitro engines as I flew nitro RC planes back in college, decades ago...)
I'm not aware of any 1/5 scale kits out there but then again I only own 1 fifth scale rig, and it's electric, so maybe there's one out there, but I'm not aware of it. PrimalRC has several 1/5 scale rigs. I have no idea if they are kits or not.

They are like semi kits.
Most of the axles are already assembled. Well, for the raminator trucks. Don't know about the other ones.
Thanks. But do they use standard parts like the motor, servos, RX, etc? I'm most concerned with being able to both repair and tune them a bit.

I see that if I go with a 1/8th nitro like the MBX8R 1/8 Off-Road Competition Nitro Buggy Kit, I'm going to be well over $1K for the car, even with cheap engine. That's a lot since I want at least two, maybe three. :)

OTOH it seems like you have to spend $1400 to get a 1/5th gasser that doesn't have awful reviews.

So price is not that far off. I realize the smaller nitro car is much more sophisticated and much faster.

Decisions...

Thanks. But do they use standard parts like the motor, servos, RX, etc? I'm most concerned with being able to both repair and tune them a bit.
Virtually all of them are going to use regular 1/5 scale servos, engines, motors, ESCs, etc. And TX/RX works for almost any scale.

I see that if I go with a 1/8th nitro like the MBX8R 1/8 Off-Road Competition Nitro Buggy Kit, I'm going to be well over $1K for the car, even with cheap engine. That's a lot since I want at least two, maybe three. :)

OTOH it seems like you have to spend $1400 to get a 1/5th gasser that doesn't have awful reviews.

So price is not that far off. I realize the smaller nitro car is much more sophisticated and much faster.

Decisions...
Really boils down to what you like and where you're going to run it. Either way, I'm sure you'll love it. :)

The HPI Baja 5b is a 1/5 scale gas kit. A true kit that you need to put together and choose your motor (Zenoah or Zenoah style) and electronics. It was re-released last year and there is tons of aftermarket parts to customize it to your liking.

Thanks. I see now that what the major retailers carry (Tower, Horizon) isn't everything.
The HPI Baja 5b looks great!

I now realize that size-wise 1/8th kind of fits my imagined space better. (Those 1/5th scale tracks are almost like full-scale MX tracks.)

But I know gas is slower. How do the 1/5th gas cars compare with 1/8th nitro is acceleration and top speed?

Last edited:
But I know gas is slower. How do the 1/5th gas cars compare with 1/8th nitro is acceleration and top speed?
Gas large scale RCs will cost a lot more money to drive like nitro 1/8ths in terms of scale. But seeing a regular large scale brap brap is impressive too because of it's more realistic handling, sound and weight. Just saying my view, I love both. Nitro is surely a lotta fun too, the high RPM screams sound great. But by the way, you said you didn't really like the nitro smell but that really depends on the fuel. I changed from brands of fuel once, and the firework exhaust smell turned into a completely different sweet odour

Where does the diff in cost come from? Because the kits/cars are similar price, the engines are similar price (you can get a .21 nitro or ~30CC gas engine for ~$150), radio RX and TX are the same.

You'll need a more expensive steering servo for the bigger car, but - where else would you spend more?

Or do you mean for parts when stuff breaks?

Of course, there is the fact that gas costs 10% what nitro fuel does...
I am now seriously interested in this line:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3338431315...nH9WkJrcf7YycEBkltYSJfiA==|tkp:Bk9SR57sk92eYw

Price is really incredibly and all the reviews are great.

I doubt it's sturdy enough for huge jumps but probably we don't need to do that.

(No, it's not a kit - that's a negative, but, the cost...)

Where does the diff in cost come from? Because the kits/cars are similar price, the engines are similar price (you can get a .21 nitro or ~30CC gas engine for ~$150), radio RX and TX are the same.

You'll need a more expensive steering servo for the bigger car, but - where else would you spend more?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/333843131582?epid=18031291112&hash=item4dba99ecbe:g:sToAAOSwbDtjtDvq&amdata=enc:AQAIAAAA8CJrShQZfvM7EDdnE0n2fFh1rOryHK7svs0bLKOXcYvDhg5EUYrAxSvboPJX0tQ1epdxdl4vIUE4SZtwxm6CKJgYHzApQIcw0j8mEFj7sczq5KYpiz+9rhgo8AX0J7aaCTcbkiKBoDrWg0K2R3NQopysNFOSlIPfSpmbzbPK68XDoxhVp3HxpG/9V66xld/gcXHnQgk0TbbSByAHESo14bGAr2+yC+9QiGO3sVBjvv9W98xgx5t9QjqFaIPhULSMXRyH1r1kyFY/qOtnl0zN2WF+uvsuHidMnnMjEKHdhVnH9WkJrcf7YycEBkltYSJfiA==|tkp:Bk9SR57sk92eYw

I doubt it's sturdy enough for huge jumps but probably we don't need to do that.

I've been following along with this. Not sure where to chime in. What exactly is your beef with RTR Rc's? I get that you like to tinker. We ALL do. Haven't left a single one stock in 30 years. Any name brand RC will have every replacement part available. If there's a weak spot an after market company will make a better part. Trust me. 1/8 scale has some rollers you can build yourself. But, if you've never done this before, you'll be asking us what to put in it. Can't guarantee someone will have an answer.

When you get into the larger scales, 1/6 or 1/5 gas, they're almost always RTR. Rovan has been around for years. Every piece is replaceable. Taylor Rc makes higher CC motors, expansion pipes and carb kits. For ALL of them. Refer to the first paragraph.

Take a breath. Buy a couple different RTR RC's. Build your track. Test them. You will need to tinker. Every track is different. Go from there.

NOT trying to be a jerk. Seriously. Just trying to help.

Fifth scale gas vehicles need expensive engines and upgrades to be able to match the speed and acceleration of 1/8th scale nitro. It’s not even a comparison. I have a Baja 5B, it’s just a big heavy vehicle and it needs a lot of space to open up.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/333843131582?epid=18031291112&hash=item4dba99ecbe:g:sToAAOSwbDtjtDvq&amdata=enc:AQAIAAAA8CJrShQZfvM7EDdnE0n2fFh1rOryHK7svs0bLKOXcYvDhg5EUYrAxSvboPJX0tQ1epdxdl4vIUE4SZtwxm6CKJgYHzApQIcw0j8mEFj7sczq5KYpiz+9rhgo8AX0J7aaCTcbkiKBoDrWg0K2R3NQopysNFOSlIPfSpmbzbPK68XDoxhVp3HxpG/9V66xld/gcXHnQgk0TbbSByAHESo14bGAr2+yC+9QiGO3sVBjvv9W98xgx5t9QjqFaIPhULSMXRyH1r1kyFY/qOtnl0zN2WF+uvsuHidMnnMjEKHdhVnH9WkJrcf7YycEBkltYSJfiA==|tkp:Bk9SR57sk92eYw

@Tunedpipe is the one. He has two.

Back