why doesn't hpi have a buggy?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NooP

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Why wouldnt a company as big as HPI have a buggy? Correct me if I'm wrong, but i believe buggies make up a big part of the rc market if not the biggest. Just doesn't make sense to me.

--NooP

Maybe because they haven't been able to build a reliable MT yet....... lol

traxxas doesn't have one either and they're the #1 rc manufacturer in terms of products sold.

Yeah and if HPI every makes a buggy I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole. HPI employees need to burn in hell a million times over for every NMT they sold. Piece of glass on wheels. I'm so glad I sold mine within a year or so of buying it, all those years ago. Jumped on an inferno and never looked back.

The Savage seemed okay, but I still wouldn't buy another HPI, it's a company I really don't care for. Did I mention they suck? No subtleness here.

:flamer:

Originally posted by Nitro_Freak
traxxas doesn't have one either and they're the #1 rc manufacturer in terms of products sold.

Traxxas Buggy ok, ok..so it doesn't fit on the track, but it's a buggy nonetheless.

I have no opinion on HPI..never had one. i'd lean toward the fact that both American companies use their own engines. Neither of which have the ability to power an 8th scale buggy.
Funny that nearly all 8th scale buggy's are manufactured overseas

wiita

Last edited:
HPI's Savage is an AWESOME MT! Saying otherwise is just silly. Yeah, the stock wheels BLOW, but thats about it.

As for why they dont have a buggy?!?!!? Who knows. I would say they will definately put one out some day.

I just can't wait to get my hands on the new Kyosho and XRay buggies coming out.

Originally posted by ImBroken
Maybe because they haven't been able to build a reliable MT yet....... lol

What are you smoking man!? My Savage SS is ten times the truck my Maxx was, with both trucks in stock form. My Maxx is a great truck now but it is far from stock. The Savage is just a bigger badder beefier truck right out of the box, with the exceptions of the rims as Christian mentioned, and the diffs.

As far as HPI and a buggy, I am sure they will have one sooner or later, they did not have a real monster truck until the Savage.

That is a little harsh don't you think. I have a Savage SS and 2, RS4 3 SS and I think they are great. No problems here.

Last edited:
Well I love both my NMT and my Savage. You can't BASH the NMT like you would a full size MT but then it was never intended to be bashed like that. The only problem I have had so far with the NMT is that one of the rear drive cups broke and the front hub assembly and control arms disintegrated when I crashed into a brick wall at full speed. (my fault not the NMTs). I even can't really complain about the crappy ass .15FE. Yeah it doesn't have enough power and tends to run hot but that thing has 3 gallons through it and it still running just as good as when I got it. I can still break all 4 tires loose on dirt.

The Savage is just a beast!!! I have put mine through absolute hell. 10 foot high bad landings at full speed, 20 yard somersaults across rocky terrain, full speed head on collisions with other MTs and I have broken NOTHING, absolutely NOTHING. (and its completely stock except for the airfilter.)

Thats not to say that if they put a buggy out it will be any good but i can't complain about either of the two HPIs I own.

Didn't someone say in another thread that hpi and hot bodies are owned by the same guy, and that is why hpi doesn't have a buggy. Or do they, and it's just sold under HB name?

Hey uDi, which HPI did you have that sucked? what happened to it? was it just a band aid to begin with?

Originally posted by NCNitro

What are you smoking man!? My Savage SS is ten times the truck my Maxx was, with both trucks in stock form. My Maxx is a great truck now but it is far from stock. The Savage is just a bigger badder beefier truck right out of the box, with the exceptions of the rims as Christian mentioned, and the diffs.

LOL... Relax there big guy... I'm just bustin ya shoes... The Savage does look like it can take a beatin....
I'm not defending the Maxx by any means... anyone that has seen my Tmaxx, will notice there's about 2 stock parts on it... lol

Originally posted by uDi_MP7.5
Yeah and if HPI every makes a buggy I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole. HPI employees need to burn in hell a million times over for every NMT they sold. Piece of glass on wheels. I'm so glad I sold mine within a year or so of buying it, all those years ago. Jumped on an inferno and never looked back.

The Savage seemed okay, but I still wouldn't buy another HPI, it's a company I really don't care for. Did I mention they suck? No subtleness here.

:flamer:

LMAO Udi! I don't hate them like Udi but I am not all hot on them. My first car was a RS4 RTR 3 and it was ok for a minute. I broke a lot but I was a bad driver (hahaha was lol). HPI is battling Traxxas and just happen to be a notch up is all. There best car is a direct copy of a world class winner so it won as well so they can make good stuff. The gereal public line of RC's from HPI are backyard bashers imo. Once you get your hands on a K or a M or a Losi or an AE you just know the difference instantly.

with the no exeptions for the rims as , and the diffs.

The hardest part on it is the diffs so I agree man.

Hopefully they rot in hell then
Pease will come to all and then I will run my rs4 WOT in to a curb
In the world of rc we will conquer them with a crash and a smash
:preachin:

I owned an original NMT. I caught the "updated" version just as it came out, they didn't fix a quarter of the bugs though. I doubt the NMT2 is any better, from what I see it's just a lame running change with the same materials for parts, drivetrain etc.

The drivetrain. Seriously, so you wanted to drop in a mild motor for racing like a 12cvr or something. We won't even bother thinking about hot rear exhaust 12's. "Sorry, we used crappy cast pot metal gears all round, so you have to upgrade to the expensive hardened gears that we should have included but didn't so we could rip you off slowly down the track". The plastics were no better, and the a-arms and dogbones were like twigs and needles.

Burn in hell. I sold mine for exactly what I paid for it to some n00b through the local classifieds, and luckily saved my money and left it stock.

I'd take out a drivecup everytime I took a 1ft jump, bend a dogbone and snap another drivecup everytime I had a mild cartwheel, and at the end of the day you'd open the diffs and you'd see another 2 mil shaved off the diff gears. Yes, even when they were perfectly shimmed.

I was only too glad to get rid of mine. It was a fun car to get into nitro with, and back then there wasn't many better options for the same price, but with what's available today... no way josé!

Like I said, the savage seems to have improved in terms of parts quality and the like... but I still wouldn't buy a buggy from them if they ever brought one out. What is the likelihood that it's going to be better than a Mugen or Kyosho? your guess is as good as mine.

We've got enough buggies on the market right now I say, too much if anything. Sure as hell don't need a HPI in the mix imho.

Last edited:
i own a GS storm pro and a xtm x-terminator...and i feel as though my savage 25 is much stronger of an r/c than both those 1/8 buggys...only thing that i have broken on the savage is a lower front a-arm, from running into a boulder. i have broken diff tabs and a-arms and bent chassis/center dogbones on the buggys a few times already. and i drive all my r/c's with reckless abandon..especially if there is a crowd watching...ill hit anything at full speed jsut to show off lol. as for hpi building a buggy...they would have to start from a totatlly brand new desighn and hopefully not try to jsut build of the nitro mt or something. maybe they can do some kind of twin verticle plate 1/8 buggy??

I was thinking the same thing. If hpi made a buggy, they would go with the tvp setup. The only problem is you loose a lot of cg with the tvp setup. So if they go with a tvp, there would have to be some engineering in it to keep the cg down or else I doubt it would be able to compete at all with the buggies that are out.

I know a lot of you dont like hpi. I personally do. Right now, the only hpi I have is my nitro rs4 mini. I like it. Pretty durable, but I do brake stuff. At top speed in front of my house I'm bound to hit a car tire our a bump and loose control.

But just from a business stand point, I dont see why they dont have one out. Buggies are the most popular rc's right? Then why not build one?

--NooP

Originally posted by NooP
I was thinking the same thing. If hpi made a buggy, they would go with the tvp setup. The only problem is you loose a lot of cg with the tvp setup. So if they go with a tvp, there would have to be some engineering in it to keep the cg down or else I doubt it would be able to compete at all with the buggies that are out.

I know a lot of you dont like hpi. I personally do. Right now, the only hpi I have is my nitro rs4 mini. I like it. Pretty durable, but I do brake stuff. At top speed in front of my house I'm bound to hit a car tire our a bump and loose control.

But just from a business stand point, I dont see why they dont have one out. Buggies are the most popular rc's right? Then why not build one?

--NooP

With HPI and Hot Bodies working closely together whether people want to admit that or not they kinda do have the 1/8 buggy covered with the Lightning. Just my thoughts as to why HPI hasn't made a buggy yet. And yest buggies are the best but the do not sell as much as MT's

Originally posted by HumboldtBlazer

With HPI and Hot Bodies working closely together whether people want to admit that or not they kinda do have the 1/8 buggy covered with the Lightning. Just my thoughts as to why HPI hasn't made a buggy yet. And yest buggies are the best but the do not sell as much as MT's

Is that in stone anywhere? Is hpi and hot boddies in bed together?

--NooP

If hpi made a buggy, i wouldnt buy it even if it was indestructable. thats what they told me about the nmt, and the rush, and both are in pieces in my basement, almost beyond repair. i agree that hpi has gotten a little better over the years, but i still will never buy another model from them. (maybe a savage tho, SORRY FELLOW T-MAXX OWNERS)
-WillTheThrill-