Who makes the best hobby tools?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have all craftsmen Their not rc specific but i got all the right size's like 1.0 2.0 2.5 and so on and life time warranty, thats what i use.

I just picked up a set of 4 hex drivers 1, 1.5, 2, 2.5 from Golden horizon hobbies for $30 canadian and they are really good. I had a screw that was jammed in the skid plate and it got the screw out no problem, without anything stripping. In my opinion these are worth the money.

http://www.ghhobby.com/proddetail.php?prod=1152

dynamite red, for the money, its worth it

I use Losi hex tools.. I've had them for 3 years and have not had any dulling or much wear at all really.

@Olds97 The losi 8in1 tool are decent if you want a set of 1/4 hex shanks for using for an electric screw driver but I havent made my mind up completly about them. I've owned them for about 9 months and they are starting to show signs of wear. so far its just the coating wearing off but I'm wondering if the tips are gonna start rounding next. So far they havent and they do get a ton of use on them. I did break one tip but I was trying to break red lock tight with the 1/16th tip. it broke 3 out of 4 screws loose but then the tip broke on the 4th one. Dont ask me why but the stock chassis of the LST2 they used red lock tight for the 4 screws the hold on the top of the chassis brace. Didnt use it on the bottom two screws though.....go figure. I guess they never thought anyone would take it completely apart in spite of the fact that dynamite makes the chassis deck and plates in various colors of anodized metal lol. I called Losi and ask them if they had a tip replacement warranty and they said no but since this had happened only like 3 weeks after getting them they said they would go ahead and replace it. Much to my surprise they sent me the complete set, handle and all :) I have to say Horizon has excellent customer service.

On a different note. I bought a complete set of OFNA hex drivers and they suck. I bought them because they have a life time warranty. What I didnt find out till later was it costs 5 bucks (supposedly for shipping and handling) but I discovered I could buy the whole wrench on ebay for about 7.50. since I didnt have to pay the 1.38 in postage to mail the tip in it was about the same price without the wait. I have just now broken my second tip and I'm gonna call them and see if I can send both tips in for replacement with 1 shipping and handling fee since it should really cost them much extra, if anything, to send two tips back in the same package. I'm betting they are gonna want 5 bucks for each tip. If they do that then I will just start repalcing my OFNAs with either Hudys or maybe Dynamites from here on out.

*SIDE NOTE* The first ofna tip I broke was on the same red lock tighted screws that I broke the 1/16 Losi tip but the Ofna tip not only broke without putting a ton of torque on it but it also didnt even break at the tip it sort of snaped off on the shaft at where the diameter was bigger. In one way I was thankful because I was able to pull the tip out of the screw using a pair of needle nose but I was shocked that it actually broke at the thicker part of the shaft. the Losi at least did 3 out of the 4 screws before it broke lol.

Last edited:
I recently snapped one of my OFNA's, the 2.5mm one. Same deal, broke in the middle. So, when I placed the order, I bought hudy's 2mm and 2.5mm since those are the ones I use the most. They spin a lot truer and fit the bolts a lot more snug than the OFNA's did, even when they were new. Will see how they hold up.

I have 1 Hudy hand wrench that is a SAE driver for the engine bolts when I had the LST. I converted everything else to metric but the engine mount bolts. As it was, that bit did get a lot of use and it still looks like new. Appears to be the same stock as the driver bits I just bought.

May end up buying the next 2 sizes up... possibly 3 if they have it since my baja uses big bolts for everything.

the Dynamite is good, but the lock works only one way. its realy not a big deal.

"Best" is always a subjective word... Those Skunkworks sure do look pretty but at $35 each I would be hoping they'd do a bit more than just turn a screw. haha

I've got a full set of metric and standard T-handle hex wrenches from Bondhus which I love. They aren't "hobby" tools if you will, but they work perfectly for everything I've used them for, RC included. On the plus side, you can order both sets for the cost of about two of those wrenches mentioned above.

If you're looking for "screwdriver" type drivers, then check out the Bondhus 10687 set.

Unsure about the Skunkworks, but I do know that Bondhus also offers a lifetime warranty on all of their tools. I have them, use the, and love them.... in fact I know the perfect giveaway item for our next contest. :D

I ended up going with EDS and I must say they've been extremely durable. I only broke one and that was due to misuse. The others are a-ok and I use ball tips too and they stand up to a lot of work.

Associated makes nice hobby grade allens that the tips can be replaced on. Had a set for few years now and love them. Also MIP makes really nice stuff as well.

Sent from my HUAWEI-M835 using Tapatalk

WoodIE that is a power buy! Great set, I'll be ordering soon. I recently bought a set of 3 red dynamite, I like them ok.... But I couldn't seem to keep or get a feel for which is which, they are all the same size, shape and marked by size on the flat side, which is designed for anti roll. Oh yeah, did i mention the shafts on two are marked incorrectly ( no biggie as i can't read them without a lense. Figure I will put 1,2,or 3 rubber bands on them for feel and keep them at my bench. These are a must have! Thanks for the point!

I didn't see anyone uses bondhus so Ill shut up.

I wrenched most of my life and Snap-On was the tool. when I got to playing with these toys I called me ole buddy, gave him a 100.00 he ask how do you want to pay rest I bout crapped. Long story short I found me some bondhus. Like the looks of the Daves tho the way it can be a combo. Yall have a good day hopefully better than mine , can't sleep

After posting this over a year ago I ordered EDS tools and I'll say they are great tools. Very minimal wear on the tips, even the ball ends are in great shape after countless hours of work. Plus their bits work great as well. I did break off one ball tip but that was my fault, don't pry with a driver dummy ;)

So there ya go, a roundup, EDS tools make some good stuff at a decent price. I just got a Dynamite multiset (multiple bits in handle) so I'll be testing that shortly.

Thanks for all the tips!

Dave

I haven't used these yet, but DDM has a new set of drivers that have 6" bits.

http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/c.885035/n.1/it.A/id.9319/.f

They also sell just the bits if you want to go that route.

http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/c.885035/n.1/it.A/id.9314/.f
http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/c.885035/n.1/it.A/id.9249/.f

Price is right that's for sure.

I seen that new driver tool set the other day, looks pretty neat and the price looks right on. Thinking about getting a set to try out.

For the bits, worth noting Wiha and Bondhus both sell individual hex blades in both standard and ball ends.

Back