Recommended glues for airplane repairs

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flyboy666

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
New to flying, and I am told that crashes are inevitable, so I will need some glue to fix things.

I'm flying an Aeroscout, which is made of EPO foam according to Horizon.

I've had a few glues recommended to me by someone, but I thought I would get some other opinions first. I'm only looking to buy one or two for starters.

Here is what I am considering so far:
1) Gorilla Clear Glue
2) Foam-Tac
3) Bob Smith Industries Maxi-Cure Extra Thick (CA)
4) Bob Smith Industries Insta Cure Super Thin Glue (CA)

Any thoughts on any of these? I want to narrow it down to two or so for starters.

Thanks

Gorilla glue gel is what I use. I also use AKA tires CA glue. But anything super glue for repairs.

I use foam tack on styrofoam.

Gorilla glue gel is what I use. I also use AKA tires CA glue. But anything super glue for repairs.
You can't use superglue on foam. It melts it almost instantly.
Foam tack is what I use.

I use CA glue for tires. I use super glue for repairs I use it on my radio trigger and on shock.towers

You can't use superglue on foam. It melts it almost instantly
Ah. Didn't read that he was using foam. Good to know

I use CA glue for tires. I use super glue for repairs I use it on my radio trigger and on shock.towers

Ah
I only know this because my older brother made a foam air boat when I was a kid. I broke it and tried to glue it with crazy glue before he noticed. I turned the boat into a puddle of really sticky goo 🤣

I used a hot plastic melt gun to repair my foam plane (most likely not the right term)

So far, I am getting a "yes" on Foam-Tac. I am also hearing that you cannot use "superglue" on foam. The Gorilla Glue I listed -- I don't believe that is considered superglue ... or is it? (Pretty sure my friend uses the GG on his planes.)

So far, I am getting a "yes" on Foam-Tac. I am also hearing that you cannot use "superglue" on foam. The Gorilla Glue I listed -- I don't believe that is considered superglue ... or is it? (Pretty sure my friend uses the GG on his planes.)

It depends on the foam and the glue. You can get away with a thin layer of "normal" superglue on some foams if it sets up quicker than it eats the foam, but if you use too much it starts to eat at the foam and your bond will be ruined, and it also takes forever to set up once it's gotten mixed into the foam.

BSI makes a foam-safe superglue, "super-gold+", that won't have any of those issues.

Foam tac is good, maybe the best, but takes longer to set up

It depends on the foam and the glue. You can get away with a thin layer of "normal" superglue on some foams if it sets up quicker than it eats the foam, but if you use too much it starts to eat at the foam and your bond will be ruined, and it also takes forever to set up once it's gotten mixed into the foam.

BSI makes a foam-safe superglue, "super-gold+", that won't have any of those issues.

Foam tac is good, maybe the best, but takes longer to set up
I always put the foam tack on both pieces, then let it setup for a few minutes, then stick the parts together.

I like 2 part epoxy for big repairs. Foam tac works well too. CA works on a lot of foams, best to try in an inconspicuous place and give it a minute to see how it reacts. Used to be most Eflight planes were ok with superglue.

When joining two peices of broken foam back together I usually use toothpicks to add a little strength. For bigger sections I use shish kabob skewers.

I have so many different glues it isn't funny. For all parts of my life. Doesn't mean one will work in place of the other. Sometimes trial and error says otherwise. ZAP, BSI and Foam-Tac all work great for RC's. On the right material.

It's important to know what your RC is made of. In this case, the internet says EPO. Then I would use the Foam-Tac.

I have so many different glues it isn't funny. For all parts of my life. Doesn't mean one will work in place of the other. Sometimes trial and error says otherwise. ZAP, BSI and Foam-Tac all work great for RC's. On the right material.

It's important to know what your RC is made of. In this case, the internet says EPO. Then I would use the Foam-Tac.
Which one tastes the best? Also which one smells the best?😁

Foam tac is what your gonna want to use .tried the e6000 just had no true glue effect on few different .things we use in rc..My LHS sells 1/16" pieces of carbon fiber rods. I've cut those down and set a wing straight in a glider I got.

Thanks everyone. I'm going to go with the Foam-Tac for starters, based on your recommendations. Plus some toothpicks. (Thanks, Doom.)

I've been using this stuff from lepage to fix my foam plane. It was the only thing i could find locally when i needed it. But it seems to work great, and doesn't smell terrible, which is a plus!

IMG_3225.jpeg

Back