Ramp build / Are you using it?, new RC/Sledge owner

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gstmike1

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Flying
Hello all. Just purchased a Sledge because my brother bought a Max for himself and his son. Then my cousin bought a Hoss. So of course I had to buy something rather than watch them have all the fun.
We're older folks so maybe starting at the higher end of the RC market (from a price standpoint) is not a major financial hit. Just maybe not that smart. 😁
There's a great RC shop right around the corner with all/any parts we would need with lots of knowledgeable folks.
A few questions though.
I have the wood, tools, skills to build a decent ramp. Already did all the research there. But wondering if it will get use after the initial excitement of the new hobby wears off?
We all live in suburbia and haven't yet searched for good place to run our cars yet. I'm sure there are spots but, with the cost of light/portable ramps, it just makes more sense to build one than to spend as much as i did on the car for a ramp. Will try to keep the weight down and have a place to store it at my house but the idea of lugging around a big ramp just seems like something we will quickly get tired of.

Are you guys still using your ramp/cars as much after the initial excitement wore off?
For those that also live in suburbia and have to take your cars somewhere to really drive/bash them, do you still do it?
Any other advice/input for a few older/new to RC folks just looking to bash and enjoy their new cars?

Thanks to all.

Welcome in @Gstmike1 , RC brings out the kids in all of us. I refuse to grow up.

Welcome.

I'm an ubran-ite, but we have several nice parks in town (and a new one being built right behind our neighborhood) so the boys and I usually go to one of those. There is a large green space two houses down and we have used the ramp I made for my grand-sons (scooters and skate boards) in that area just to jump. Honestly, we have more fun in the parks and base-ball diamonds... and there is always less breakage.

1 Son: Sledge, Kraton 6s, Hoss
2 Son: Maxx, Ultimate Desert Racer, Big Rock
3 Son: Hoss, Rustler. Senton
Grandsons both have Rustlers... and DR-10s for the street.

I’ve built plenty of jump/ramps and yes the initial excitement wears off. You will probably find yourself looking for a place that already has natural jumps or bumps as that is much less work.. Don’t get me wrong.. I love hitting my jumps, but it’s definitely more work to lug them around or haul them somewhere. It’s enough work charging packs and making repairs after a good thrashing.
Just my 2 cents.. 🤷‍♂️

Welcome, not having a ramp, I can't answer that question difinitavely, because I don't have a way to transport one. I will say that a good place to use them is local parks, churches, and schools if they are not locked up like they are here in california.

Anyplace that has a parking lot that you can build up speed and lunch into grass is ideal. Also a curb will help keep your ramp in place.

You’ll enjoy jumping them if you have a place that allows you to drive the car hard. Meaning, if all you do is jump ramps doing tricks, it’ll get monotonous. But, having an area to open that car up on grass and dirt, with a place to mix in some bashing, is the best fun.

It’ll never get old watching a big rc car hauling freight. Back and forth over the little jumps and wheelie rolls that natural grass offers. Thrown in some back flips, front flips, and just straight forward air jumps, and you are about to have a ton of fun.

That sledge is going wants eat. You’ll want it too as well cause it’s so dang fast it’s u describable until you see it.

Welcome to the forum.

I got a Sledge too, they're nice trucks. With their oversize diff they can push a lot of power. M2C and PPS make reverse motor mounts for oversized motors and KCRC makes stock position mounts for oversize motors.

Besides the ramps you should Google your location plus "pump track" and "skatepark" and see what you get. Don't forget to do the same search with your neighboring cities. I have five pump tracks and three skateparks where I live.

I forgot to mention, the Sledge is way under gear out of the box. Trading your 13t pinion for a 16-17t will bring your truck to life.

I built a quick set up in the backyard since I had stuff laying around and its partly dirt anyways. I can always toss out the stuff and re purpose part of it if I need to. I might look into a plastic ramp or shoot even a cardboard box ramp that I have come across on Youtube... But parks have been fun the past few days that we have gone to. I am still looking around here what is available...

I built a decent ramp, after 1 summer, I stored it behind the shed. Been there ever since. 🤣

Yeah. I finished it a couple weeks ago. Still haven't used it. Too much rain and, of course, more important ("adult") things to do.
Along with the NFL Playoffs.
May have jumped in to this hobby a bit too big/hastily. Time will tell.

Welcome I just use dirt on my property

I'm lazy, I've always used sidewalk curbs for my jumps. Admittedly, it did get old for me in time, now I get more joy out of making my own tracks on dirt or empty parking lots and trying to drive around them consistently. It's much less wear and tear on parts, and you don't need a super fast RC for a homemade track.

These days I rarely drive on the road outside of my house, it just gets to be annoying worrying about traffic and what not.

Make sure to read up on your county's rules for baseball diamonds and skate parks, some don't allow "motorized vehicles". Some places don't let people run RCs in baseball diamonds.

Last edited:
I currently just use my backyard, part of it is dirt. I have some structure laid down and laid a pallet over it to create a ramp. I had a couple large boxes to help but the latest rain sort of wiped it out. PLus I think the dogs like to chew on the cardboard. Otherwise I have a large rock out front I can create a ramp with or I go across the street to the park to create some spots.

I do wanna find some local dirt spots that are fairly close and not more than 30 minutes away but I may need to expand lol

Back