David's Tamiya TT-02 10th scale On-Road TC build

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidB1126

Team Bomb Pop
Supporter
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
  4. Scale Builder
Thanks to @WickedFog for funding this project / build.
The would be my first On Road car. This would be my 2nd kit build in my RC career (if I want to call it that) and 2nd 4WD car.
All totally new to onroad. Only had offroad cars before (10th scale 2WD SCT with the Slash, 10th scale 2WD ST with the Rustler, 16th 2WD Mini buggy with the Mini B and 10th scale 4WD Buggy with the B74)

Q: What would I be doing with the car?
A: Not totally sure yet. Since I am new to on-road, I got a new vision of bashing. Maybe sometimes a shelf queen? Try to race it?

Racing. I have 1 local on-road carpet indoor track which is 180 Raceway in Middle River MD . They are only open on Saturday's and racing on Saturdays. There most popular class for normal club is VTA and TC. Hoping to go again to check it out and get more info on what the rules are for the classes. TT02 would be best in a euro truck class (if I wanted to do a euro truck build which I really don't) and TC. But ideally only meant for TT02 stock spec racing or TT02 oval. One of the old old local HS and carpet offroad track, used to do TT02 Tuesdays. Remove the jumps to make it on-road. Fully stock spec TT02 class. Wish they were still around so I actually had a place to go to race, but only place is 180 and they do comp classes. Might check around the local RC groups, see if anyone has any TT02s and see if they want to all meet up and do some fun parking lot racing.

Thread about racing: https://www.rctalk.com/forum/threads/help-me-with-onroad-classes-and-racing.140997/

Other plans? Drift car convert? I have 0 idea about drifting, how to do it and setups. Being 4wd, highly doubt I can make it work. Most drift cars are based off of 10th scale TCs but are RWD. The old track, RC Underground had a drift track. Lots of local drifters. Now the only main place to drift is Key City Hobbies up in Fredrick.

But mainly will keep it as is and mainly as a touring car unless I want to try to race it in VTA (getting VTA body, 25.5 motor and VTA wheels/tires)

@Lukedavis is somewhat helping me out has he has a spare Bug body which is 257mm long (should be able to fit) and just a bit shy of 180mm wide. He should send it out and I can paint it up and I can make a street onroad bug.

Planned Upgrades? Well @WickedFog is throwing in some spare electronics and parts so we will see what is in that goodie box. Most likely my own RadioLink RX/TX (R6FG receiver and RC8X radio) Going to start off with the kit brushed system and move up to a brushless system, which I plan to be either a Hobbywing10BL120 SD esc and anywhere between a 25.5 to a 17.5T motor, or a Hobbywing 60A Justock ESC and motor combo. Amazon servo as I don't need anything expensive and overkill. Batteries, most likely a 2s shorty pack or 2s stick pack from my race stuff (solder 5mm bullet plugs on esc)

Should be a fun and interesting build for sure. And pretty exciting on trying onroad. Just got to remember to not bring out my ramp when I go to bash. 🤣
Stay tuned for the build! Should have the car early next month and have it all built up mid next month, and might have it ready for me to take on vacation.

When building I will try to do a build series and recording it, and posting it on the YouTubes.
Also roaming around and searching for parts and stuff, thread here: https://www.rctalk.com/forum/threads/paint-matching.141296/

Last edited:
Even tough I do not have the kit and spares yet...

Thanks to @WickedFog for funding this project / build.
The would be my first On Road car. This would be my 2nd kit build in my RC career (if I want to call it that) and 2nd 4WD car.
All totally new to onroad. Only had offroad cars before (10th scale 2WD SCT with the Slash, 10th scale 2WD ST with the Rustler, 16th 2WD Mini buggy with the Mini B and 10th scale 4WD Buggy with the B74)

Q: What would I be doing with the car?
A: Not totally sure yet. Since I am new to on-road, I got a new vision of bashing. Maybe sometimes a shelf queen? Try to race it?

Racing. I have 1 local on-road carpet indoor track which is 180 Raceway in Middle River MD . They are only open on Saturday's and racing on Saturdays. There most popular class for normal club is VTA and TC. Hoping to go again to check it out and get more info on what the rules are for the classes. TT02 would be best in a euro truck class (if I wanted to do a euro truck build which I really don't) and TC. But ideally only meant for TT02 stock spec racing or TT02 oval. One of the old old local HS and carpet offroad track, used to do TT02 Tuesdays. Remove the jumps to make it on-road. Fully stock spec TT02 class. Wish they were still around so I actually had a place to go to race, but only place is 180 and they do comp classes. Might check around the local RC groups, see if anyone has any TT02s and see if they want to all meet up and do some fun parking lot racing.

Thread about racing: https://www.rctalk.com/forum/threads/help-me-with-onroad-classes-and-racing.140997/

Other plans? Drift car convert? I have 0 idea about drifting, how to do it and setups. Being 4wd, highly doubt I can make it work. Most drift cars are based off of 10th scale TCs but are RWD. The old track, RC Underground had a drift track. Lots of local drifters. Now the only main place to drift is Key City Hobbies up in Fredrick.

But mainly will keep it as is and mainly as a touring car unless I want to try to race it in VTA (getting VTA body, 25.5 motor and VTA wheels/tires)

@Lukedavis is somewhat helping me out has he has a spare Bug body which is 257mm long (should be able to fit) and just a bit shy of 180mm wide. He should send it out and I can paint it up and I can make a street onroad bug.

Planned Upgrades? Well @WickedFog is throwing in some spare electronics and parts so we will see what is in that goodie box. Most likely my own RadioLink RX/TX (R6FG receiver and RC8X radio) Going to start off with the kit brushed system and move up to a brushless system, which I plan to be either a Hobbywing10BL120 SD esc and anywhere between a 25.5 to a 17.5T motor, or a Hobbywing 60A Justock ESC and motor combo. Amazon servo as I don't need anything expensive and overkill. Batteries, most likely a 2s shorty pack or 2s stick pack from my race stuff (solder 5mm bullet plugs on esc)

Should be a fun and interesting build for sure. And pretty exciting on trying onroad. Just got to remember to not bring out my ramp when I go to bash. 🤣
Stay tuned for the build! Should have the car early next month and have it all built up mid next month, and might have it ready for me to take on vacation.

When building I will try to do a build series and recording it, and posting it on the YouTubes.
Also roaming around and searching for parts and stuff, thread here: https://www.rctalk.com/forum/threads/paint-matching.141296/
sorry all I can give rn is a like for a reaction as I'm on my family tablet and it doesn't let me see the different options for reactions. can't wait to see how this turns out!

Bug body from @Lukedavis

Image_20240224_155920_805.jpeg

Image_20240224_155805_144.jpeg

It is official! Should be getting it by the weekend. Gonna take the build slow relaxed and easy. Though this is my second kit car and looks fairly simple to put together, should be able to get it up and all built by next week (depending on shipping times) Parts and upgrades are on hold. If I can't get @luke66 package shipped out in time, Ill get a spare titan 12T motor and compare it to the tamiya motor. Anyone know how many turns is the tamiya motor? Just wondering. Pretty sure it comes with a Hobbywing 1060 esc so 12T is the max limit. Lets hope I don't burn that esc up. Gonna add a fan if I can.

It is official! Should be getting it by the weekend. Gonna take the build slow relaxed and easy. Though this is my second kit car and looks fairly simple to put together, should be able to get it up and all built by next week (depending on shipping times) Parts and upgrades are on hold. If I can't get @luke66 package shipped out in time, Ill get a spare titan 12T motor and compare it to the tamiya motor. Anyone know how many turns is the tamiya motor? Just wondering. Pretty sure it comes with a Hobbywing 1060 esc so 12T is the max limit. Lets hope I don't burn that esc up. Gonna add a fan if I can.
Don't buy any parts for it til you open the box 😉

How do yall think a 1 color paint would look? Full silver or full burgundy? Cause thats all I got. Tight fund rn, can't get more paint.

Unboxing video is for sure gonna happen. Build series tho, not really sure as of, well reasons.
I don't have space on my phone for hours worth of footage and I like to play music when wrenching so.

I would go live on Facebook, but I can't use landscape anymore. Might be able to do live on YouTube if I can get my computer programs running again.

No worries on a build video. Just do the unboxing.

I wouldn't put any money into a TT02. Not a single penny. Just build it and drive it. I sent you everything to build the car minus paint, plus a couple improvements. But there really isn't much you can do to improve this chassis. It's meant to be more of a shelf queen that drives, as are most Tamiya offerings.

Foose is going to be at the Boise Roadster show this weekend. I wish I could go.
That would be pretty awesome. He seems to be a really cool dude. I've never met him but have seen a number of his builds in person at various shows and events.

Last edited:
The show is at the event center at the fair grounds but unfortunately from the parking lot to the doors it's about a football field length if I get lucky enough to park close to the gate entrance.
I can't walk much at all anymore, my lungs don't allow it.

Back