Traxxas Sledge

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rydert27

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hi all,

I'm new to the whole RC game, I've just purchased a HYPER GO (H16DR). And it's wicked fun so far (Obviously a lower end little guy, but good entry level so far). However, I'm contemplating getting a larger model cuz...bigger is better :). I am considering the Traxxas Sledge, however as I am very new to the RC scene and only have minimal knowledge about brands, batteries, etc. from google.
So what I'm getting at is, I'd like a high end machine, without having to upgrade in a year or two because I (Want something better). Are there comparable machines that have the same qualities that maybe have a lower initial price, similar speeds and fun factor. I've also been looking at the Arrma Kraton 6S which seems like a great unit as well. Unfortunately, when looking at reviews everyone has their bias's towards certain brands. Any input would be greatly appreciated!
If parts are readily available after I break things that would also be great (My HYPER GO doesn't have easily accessible parts)

Thanks!!

We have the Kraton 6s and it is a beast. The Sledge looks like a good one too, but I do like the fact that the Kraton has an aluminum chassis. There's just something about the Kraton being heavier that makes it more impressive when you see it ripping strips of grass out of the field we run it in.

I also like Spektrum electronics much better than I do the Traxxas electronics. As far as RTR electronics, I think most will agree Traxxas is the worst. At best, I would probably expect you'd want to replace the servo on either, but with the Traxxas, I would probably replace the ESC and motor as well.

I don't think you could go wrong either way, but I would definitely lean towards the Kraton.

We have the Kraton 6s and it is a beast. The Sledge looks like a good one too, but I do like the fact that the Kraton has an aluminum chassis. There's just something about the Kraton being heavier that makes it more impressive when you see it ripping strips of grass out of the field we run it in.

I also like Spektrum electronics much better than I do the Traxxas electronics. As far as RTR electronics, I think most will agree Traxxas is the worst. At best, I would probably expect you'd want to replace the servo on either, but with the Traxxas, I would probably replace the ESC and motor as well.

I don't think you could go wrong either way, but I would definitely lean towards the Kraton.

Thanks, I have heard similar reviews on the Traxxas regarding replacing the serco and ESC. And at the already high cost, I'm a little hesitant to to purchase one knowing I may be purchasing parts right off the hop.

Thanks, I have heard similar reviews on the Traxxas regarding replacing the serco and ESC. And at the already high cost, I'm a little hesitant to to purchase one knowing I may be purchasing parts right off the hop.
I am sure the stock Traxxas electronics will last awhile, but I do hear a lot of complaints. I know from personal experience I'd choose any brand of servo and ESC over any Traxxas offering.

Another thing to consider is Traxxas uses a proprietary battery connector, and they want you to use their severly overpriced, crappy batteries and chargers, which I have seen a lot of people have problems with. You can of course cut the connector off the ESC and solder on a much more common EC5 or XT90 to use better batteries, but that voids the Traxxas warranty, which is just stupid. You can use an adaptor, but that has its own problems.

Me personally, if I were to buy any Traxxas vehicle, the first thing I would do is hack their connector off and say screw their warranty. There's no way in hell I'd use their batteries and chargers. But if weighing a Traxxas against another brand for consideration, the loss of any warranty would really lower the value of the Traxxas for me.

I'm not trying to bash Traxxas, because I'd love to own a Sledge. But this stuff keeps me from even considering their RC's an option. There are many folks here who have Traxxas RC's and love them. So give them a chance to chime in before you decide. I'll tag a few to drag them into the convo.

@turbo27 @STONER RC @DavidB1126

Oh, and welcome to the forum. Stick around, and you'll find there are a lot of helpful folks here. Go say hi in the 'Introduce Yourself' forum 😉
https://www.rctalk.com/forum/forums/introduce-yourself/

Welcome to the club. I don't own a Kraton, but I hear good things about it. The Arrma 6s line tend to be pretty beefy. The ESC on my Arrma Felony crapped out on me after one pack, but was replaced free of charge. Its a one time deal, and it's the same ESC that's in the Kraton. The Sledge is my favorite off road rig, and I own 5 others. It's a beast. Because its my favorite I keep it very clean. Traxxas has the best customer service, and parts availability in the industry. I have not run into any problems yet. Have fun. 🏁

Welcome,

I'm one of those who isn't unlucky enough to be disappointed in the Traxxas ESC/Motor setups. I have several models with the factory combos and no issues with any of them yet. Likewise, I have used the Spektrum ESC/Motors in a couple more and they haven't failed me yet either.

I do think there are better servos, but that is true for most every brand of RTR, in my experience with the Arrrma 3S models and Associated MT10/SC10/DR10 series. None of them come with servos that compare to the aftermarket stuff, and only you can decide if you need better (faster / stronger).

My oldest son has both the Sledge and the Kraton 6S... both with factory ESC/Motors and hasn't had any issues with them either. He has broken a few parts on both, but nothing major. Traxxas does have much better parts availability locally than Arrma, but both can be found on-line pretty easily.

Good luck

Welcome in @Rydert27 , I love my Traxxas rigs but won't run Traxxas electronics. I've never had the best of luck with them.

They're both good rigs, but I'd go for the Kraton 6S. Its $150 cheaper.

Hi all,

I'm new to the whole RC game, I've just purchased a HYPER GO (H16DR). And it's wicked fun so far (Obviously a lower end little guy, but good entry level so far). However, I'm contemplating getting a larger model cuz...bigger is better :). I am considering the Traxxas Sledge, however as I am very new to the RC scene and only have minimal knowledge about brands, batteries, etc. from google.
So what I'm getting at is, I'd like a high end machine, without having to upgrade in a year or two because I (Want something better). Are there comparable machines that have the same qualities that maybe have a lower initial price, similar speeds and fun factor. I've also been looking at the Arrma Kraton 6S which seems like a great unit as well. Unfortunately, when looking at reviews everyone has their bias's towards certain brands. Any input would be greatly appreciated!
If parts are readily available after I break things that would also be great (My HYPER GO doesn't have easily accessible parts)

Thanks!!
Welcome to RCT first and foremost.... Glad to see you joining the Fun of RC..

With any name brand RTR you will need to upgrade no matter what at some point. With what you have. Theres lot to think about before you make the jump.

How much money you want to spend. Considering you will need to purchase lipos and a charger. When you make this jump. From a 1/16 2s to a 1/8 6s systems.

All RTR brand electronics suck. ESC, servos are just the bare minimum to get them out on the shelves. All comes down to your driving style.

Balls out speed runs will burn up your esc quicker them most. And stock servos will give out due to there plastic gearing. And under power tourqe. For the size and weight of vehicle.

I love my traxxas vehicles since most of them are plastic that has flex. Arrma is mostly aluminum which bends and then needs to be replaced there's no flex with arrma.

I wouldn't use either companies batteries or charger. Brand only stuff sucks. Then your stuck with that brand. Both have good warranties..

Also need to look at what parts you have regularly available and easy to pick up. You don't want to have something break. Then your stuck for weeks waiting on parts.

Traxxas probably has the most availability when it comes to stock parts and aftermarket. Armma also has parts available buy not as available as traxxas.

Also going from a Chinese brand RC to a brand name. Will be a sticker shock. They get up there in price. I would say look at the 1/10 scale models. Traxxas maxx or maxx v2 Or the 4s arrma kraton outcast.

I would start off with one of the vehicles from the 4s line. Since your new to the hobby. Going that big out the gate. Might end up with more and end up breaking more... but it's ultimately your choice. I love both arrma and traxxas I run them both. But I have the Traxxas Xmaxx 8s and the kraton 8s. Which are both beasts....
They're both good rigs, but I'd go for the Kraton 6S. Its $150 cheaper.
I would start with the 4s line. Going from a off brand 2s to a 6s. Might end up breaking more then just the ESC and servos...

I own Both a Kraton and A Sledge and the both equally pimped out. The Kraton is a nice truck but the Sledge is better handling with far more dependable diffs. If I had to pick one the Kraton would end up on eBay.

The Kraton is a nice truck and it's what I'm driving today, but I think the Sledge is a better all around truck.

I would start with the 4s line. Going from a off brand 2s to a 6s. Might end up breaking more then just the ESC and servos...
The 4S Arrma kits are garbage compared to their 6S and 8S rigs. At least the Kraton I know for sure is, and I'm assuming the others are too. The Kraton 4S is a completely different rig from its bigger brothers. If I didn't also have the 6S and 8S Kratons I would have resold my Kraton 4S a month after I bought it. The 4S won't even corner on grass without flipping over, even after putting 10mm hub extenders on it. I've been meaning to see if some truggy wheels and tires would help it, but the stock are 👎

I drove RC back in the day. Got back into it with a HYPER GO truck also. Loved it and dove in with a ton of trucks. I went into getting bigger better trucks with no brand fanboy attitude. I bought a bunch of Traxxas trucks. Had zero issues. Everything was easy and well done. I started getting Arrma and Team Associated stuff. Some things are better and some things are worse. But overall I've had better experiences with Traxxas because of the ecosystem. For most people doing most things I wouldn't worry about any of the Traxxas issues people like to bring up. Traxxas ecosystem is the best. Everything just works. Parts are easy to get. A lot of videos on YouTube on how to do things.

The Sledge would be a good choice. I'd look at the Maxx also. Just depending on budget.

I'd look at Arrma for more like your 3rd or 4th truck.

Here's something few people consider, where are you going to drive it? The best trucks are the ones dialed for where you drive them.

Traxxas sledge owner here. I love it. I love the fact it’s tougher than a pine knot. I love its very fast. I love everything about it. It’s just a great ride. I run Traxxas batteries and charger. I’m sure there are better batteries but, I’m happy with the performance and run times on the Traxxas lipo’s. I haven’t had any electrical problems on any Traxxas rig except a tmaxx.

My sledge has been submerged under water in a lake. I like to never found it. Finally did. It was still running when I pulled it off the bottom. And, it’s still running hard today. I have nothing but good things to say about Traxxas stuff.

I’m certain the Kraton is a great machine. But, what led me to the sledge over the kraton was the reviews on kraton differentials. You are going to work on any brand if you run it enough. So, my rationalization isn’t for everyone. But, I haven’t regretted the decision I made.

Here's something few people consider, where are you going to drive it? The best trucks are the ones dialed for where you drive them.
Very true. That's how I keep justifying buying more trucks. Gotta have the right one for each place I drive and how I'm driving. :D

Hi all,

Thanks!!
hey all, Thanks for all your input. It's been very helpful.

Now I have another question regarding model to model. There is the what I assume is the old model Arrma Kraton V5(549.99h and the Arrma Kraton V5 EXB ($929.99).

Is the $380 worth the upgrade to the newer model?

Remember I'm a newbie, fully expecting to Drive/Wreck/Replace parts as needed as needed. So I could always upgrade.

Secondly, is it more cost effective to buy an RTR or build from scratch. Its winter here, So, I've got some time to to build if needed, but obviously would need some guidance on parts. Longshot, but is there a site similar to (pcpartpicker.com) ........ I've build a few PC's, but this is slightly different. Unsure on how to ensure all parts would be compatible. (Might be too big of a jump...not sure)🤷🏻‍♂️)

Thanks!

what led me to the sledge over the kraton was the reviews on kraton differentials.
I've bonded with my Kraton but the diffs have always been a sore spot. The purchase of my Sledge was in direct response to being done with Arrma diff issues. Specifically, breaking the back sides of the LSD gears and breaking the 2.5mm pins that sit behind them.

Now I have another question regarding model to model. There is the what I assume is the old model Arrma Kraton V5(549.99h and the Arrma Kraton V5 EXB ($929.99).

Remember I'm a newbie, fully expecting to Drive/Wreck/Replace parts as needed as needed. So I could always upgrade.

Secondly, is it more cost effective to buy an RTR or build from scratch. Its winter here, So, I've got some time to to build if needed, but obviously would need some guidance on parts. Longshot, but is there a site similar to (pcpartpicker.com) ........ I've build a few PC's, but this is slightly different. Unsure on how to ensure all parts would be compatible. (Might be too big of a jump...not sure)🤷🏻‍♂️)

Thanks!
You're comparing two different scales there. The $549 one is 1/8th scale, and the $929 one is 1/5 scale. Do you have web links for what you are looking at? I am not seeing a Kraton EXB for $929. The 1/5 scale one is HUGE! You'll need a big area to work on it 😉

Building a kit is always the best way to go, especially if money is not a problem. But I am curious which kit you are thinking about?

Last edited:

Thanks!
I think WF is correct. You're looking at two different scales. The kraton 6S exb is $699. The 1/5 scale kraton 8S is around 1k.

I'm not aware of any rc sites like pcpartpicker. If you're unsure just post up what your considered getting and we can try and steer ya in the right direction.

You're comparing two different scales there. The $549 one is 1/8th scale, and the $929 one is 1/5 scale. Do you have web links for what you are looking at? I am not seeing a Kraton EXB for $929. The 1/5 scale one is HUGE! You'll need a big area to work on it 😉

Building a kit is always the best way to go, especially if money is not a problem. But I am curious which kit you are thinking about?
I think the OP is posting from Canada so it's a currency conversion thing for the pricing difference.

Back