Arrma and Traxxas are out.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RonP90

RCTalk Basher
Military Veteran
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
So I have a Merv, great little truck, really, I have few complaints. But it was also my real introduction to RC. When I got it out for the first run, I was overwhelmed by how fast it was. That feeling didn't last. I made some modifications, and made it really fun on dirt, but now I'm afraid after hours of maintenance and $$$$ on parts, I realize now that it's a pretty weak bang for the buck. Wish I would have gone bigger, shoulda coulda, whatever life goes on.

Felt like I wanted a road car, something I could hit 100mph with. Jumps and flips are cool, but they cost more $$$, and I really think I just want to go fast.

Right about the time I'm feeling like that, I see the $200 vendetta. Seemed like a score at that price, and from what I've seen you don't have to do much to get it to 100mph.

I was stoked to get it. Then the Horizon Hobby fiasco of 2023 happened....
After two attempts to order, and waiting 5 days before each order was cancelled without notice, I won't be buying anything from under that umbrella. Ever. Wanted to root for the underdog, but the underdog is a douche.

Now I'm still looking for a road car. One that isn't Arrma, and isn't Traxxas.

Hoping to pick your guys brains for some recommendations. $200 value isn't a thing in real life, so I guess I'm looking for something around $500 or so. And preferably something that will actually ship this year 😄

Wondering if the HPI sport 3 is worth it.
I really like the HPI bodies.

Kyosho has a nitro and electric 1/10. They used to have 1/8 onroads, unsure if they still do.

Hpi is another good one, just do not buy an e10.

What scale are you looking for?

No e10, noted.
Definitely looking towards HPI.

Scale isn't so important, but at least 1/10.

So I have a Merv, great little truck, really, I have few complaints. But it was also my real introduction to RC. When I got it out for the first run, I was overwhelmed by how fast it was. That feeling didn't last. I made some modifications, and made it really fun on dirt, but now I'm afraid after hours of maintenance and $$$$ on parts, I realize now that it's a pretty weak bang for the buck. Wish I would have gone bigger, shoulda coulda, whatever life goes on.

Felt like I wanted a road car, something I could hit 100mph with. Jumps and flips are cool, but they cost more $$$, and I really think I just want to go fast.

Right about the time I'm feeling like that, I see the $200 vendetta. Seemed like a score at that price, and from what I've seen you don't have to do much to get it to 100mph.

After two attempts to order, and waiting 5 days before each order was cancelled without notice, I won't be buying anything from under that umbrella. Ever. Wanted to root for the underdog, but the underdog is a douche.

Hoping to pick your guys brains for some recommendations. $200 value isn't a thing in real life, so I guess I'm looking for something around $500 or so. And preferably something that will actually ship this year 😄

Too bad you had that experience. Arrma/HH has had a disclaimer on their home page for awhile now apologizing for the lack of customer service until they finish their electronic overhaul.
You‘re in Sacramento? Why not go and support your local LHS instead of online shopping? They probably have some Vendettas on the shelf, and they’d appreciate your business.
If you choose to boycott Horizon Hobby indefinitely you’ve just eliminated most of your best options for a great car from the best major brands as well as really good parts availability.

Beside brick and mortar being marked up more than dealerships, the only good hobby shop is pretty far from me, and honestly I've never made the trip. But I've been meaning to, I'm the only person I know in real life that's into RC 🤣 so that causes my confusion and lack of direction in the hobby. Would be cool to meet other humans that like something I like. But I also don't have a ton of cash.

I saw the disclaimer, but I have no previous loyalty, and they have earned none now.

Also can we bet on a vendetta being on the shelf? Does that manufacturer coupon still work? I kind of feel like they would ring it up, bag it up, and then cancel it 🤣

And hey, why are they liquidating all the vendettas anyway? Maybe I should wait for what they're releasing after they all have sold?

Beside brick and mortar being marked up more than dealerships, the only good hobby shop is pretty far from me, and honestly I've never made the trip. But I've been meaning to, I'm the only person I know in real life that's into RC 🤣 so that causes my confusion and lack of direction in the hobby. Would be cool to meet other humans that like something I like. But I also don't have a ton of cash.

I saw the disclaimer, but I have no previous loyalty, and they have earned none now.

Also can we bet on a vendetta being on the shelf? Does that manufacturer coupon still work? I kind of feel like they would ring it up, bag it up, and then cancel it 🤣

And hey, why are they liquidating all the vendettas anyway? Maybe I should wait for what they're releasing after they all have sold?
I’ve never heard of an LHS not honoring current promotions for products they stock. If Horizon Hobby has a sale or a promotion code, they typically accept them if they’re an HH dealer. They are also encouraged under contract as distributors to stick to MSRP pricing, and most I’ve found do that without marking up prices.
I’m also pretty much solo in this hobby, so I get what you’re saying about that.

It’s usually a good experience, and you can pick up a ton of knowledge from a good LHS. In my experience, most are very helpful without just pushing products on you. If you decide to go, enjoy!

So last chance, I called the local shop about a vendetta. He thought he had one, went to check. He said "and it's gone". Dang, if we had this conversation sooner, maybe...

I'm just REALLY not supposed to have it.
🤣

Just to clarify, are you still trying to hit a speed run of 100mph???

If so, that's going to be extremely difficult to do with any 1/10 platform.

Regardless, I would consider the GT8 class. Another option if you want to cut costs is to convert a 1/10 4WD SCT which is essentially the same physical size of a 1/8 buggy, then install 17mm hex adapters and slap on a DeltaPlastik GT8 body for a fraction of the price of what a true GT8 would cost:

https://deltaplastikusa.com/collections/speed-run-bodies

If you don't want the hassle of a conversion, then the best GT8e that money can buy is from Hot Bodies and should be fairly easy to hit 100mph with this:
https://hbracing.com/hb-racing-rgt8-e-electric-gt-on-road-race-kit-1-8-en/

Last edited:
I'd get an arrma limitless or infraction. Even better if you can find one used. No one or nothing is perfect and holding one bad experience against them during a well known problematic time of system upgrades seems silly at best tbh. HH customer support is typically amazing. Both those rigs will be easier to hit 100 mph on then anything else listed in this thread imo and 400$ for a limitless roller is a steal. Especially if you can stretch your budget a little more for some halfway decent electronics.

it's extremely hard to beat the performance of the limitless for the price.

Hey I got an idea, let's have a fire sale while we have no customer support and a barely functioning system 🤯

That's big brain stuff right there.

Yeah, just disappointed.

I enjoy my merv, it’s somewhat of a lone basher for me ‘cause all our other trucks are 1/10 SCs and it did have an issue with rear shock pulling apart, but you can’t hold everything against the manufacturer. Traxxas and Arrma are both great companies; my first hobby-grade was an Arrma Senton Mega. It still holds up great, even if it has a few weak spots like driveshafts coming loose. Now that I’ve owned a merv for a while, it’s definitely not the best beginner vehicle. A couple upgrades made it better, like a center diff, but i really need some Trenchers. I think I could use any 2WD buggy rear tires, but I need to drive on a variety of surfaces. Maybe you should get on-road tires? You could probably even use Bandit Rears like TRA2478R.

The trenchers are awesome, that's what I run. I still like it a lot, but I just want variety.

Merv is my little technical basher,
I want a road car that's fast,
And a big 8s monster truck.

I'd be happy with that, all terrains, all days.

Then I'd find something new to bitch about 🤣

So last chance, I called the local shop about a vendetta. He thought he had one, went to check. He said "and it's gone". Dang, if we had this conversation sooner, maybe...

I'm just REALLY not supposed to have it.
🤣
Bummer, man!
Just to clarify, are you still trying to hit a speed run of 100mph???

If so, that's going to be extremely difficult to do with any 1/10 platform.

Regardless, I would consider the GT8 class. Another option if you want to cut costs is to convert a 1/10 4WD SCT which is essentially the same physical size of a 1/8 buggy, then install 17mm hex adapters and slap on a DeltaPlatik GT8 body for a fraction of the price of what a true GT8 would cost:

https://deltaplastikusa.com/collections/speed-run-bodies

If you don't want the hassle of a conversion, then the best GT8e that money can buy is from Hot Bodies and should be fairly easy to hit 100mph with this:
https://hbracing.com/hb-racing-rgt8-e-electric-gt-on-road-race-kit-1-8-en/
The Vendetta isn’t really a 1/10. It has a 335mm wheelbase. I agree that any actual 1/10 TC platform would make it more difficult.
The Vendetta is actually longer than a “1/10” SCT. And there are a ton of people that have sent them well over 100mph.

The sport 3 looks cool, but isn't fast enough.

That RGT8 looks awesome, but woah money.

Lots to sleep on. Thanks guys, any more advice/suggestions are more than welcome.

Thanks again dudes 🤙

Back