Fresh out of the box: Traxxas Maxx V2 feels sluggish, what to do?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DiffLock

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hello everybody, new member asking for recommendations. :)

I'm seriously considering to add another RC car to our garage. So far, we have two Arrma 6S rigs (Outcast and Talion), one Arrma 3S (Granite), and one Traxxas (Summit).
What I'm looking for is another 3-4S rig, that:
  • brings a very planted, stable driving experience when going fast, also on rough terrain
  • is a nice change from either of the cars we already own
  • features high life expectancy for its main drivetrain components, mainly its differentials, as I really don't want to run down cheapo versions fast and then have to spend more or less another car worth on high quality metal ones (looking at you, Granite)
  • drives away most of the time rather than has to be carried away due to yet another collection of broken parts, i.e., handles driver errors better than the 6S rigs do
  • repairing my RCs is no problem and I don't mind it, but nevertheless I prefer RC driving a lot over RC repairing

So far, I've been looking into several models (Arrma Vorteks, Arrma Senton, Traxxas Rustler, Traxxas Maxx), with the Traxxas Rustler Ultimate and the Maxx V2 coming out on top. I'm perfectly aware that the Arrmas would share the platform with the Granite, and I do appreciate both the toughness of the Granite as well as the ease with which it can be repaired, but I really, really don't like the plastic diffs. On top of that, the Senton I generally dislike (not a fan of that class of cars), and the Vorteks... Well, the Rustler just seems to be more refined and planted at higher speeds, plus I've read plenty about problems with the ESC on the Vorteks.

Now, as for the two favorites:

Overall, the Rustler Ultimate currently sits right at the top of the list. Most, if not all of its common weak points have been adressed by the upgrades, handling seems to be pretty good and well planted, and it looks the way. However, despite being "ultimate", it still seems to use the very same drivetrain internals as the regular Rustler VXL does. Meaning: plastic gears instead of metal ones. And IF I spend that much on a 3S rig, I'd absolutely hate to spend another 300 bucks on metal diffs (and everything that has to change along with them) after a few months of use.
Any experiences on how the Rustler VXL / Ultimate holds up in the long run?

Second place, Maxx V2. While it wasn't even in the selection intially, the widened stance and slightly longer wheelbase of the V2, along with its repeatedly brought up reliability and toughness made me change my mind. There is the issue of traction roll due to the high center of gravity, but otherwise it seems to handle surprisingly good. The two essential questions here would be: How does it handle compared to the Rustler? And how would it fit into our existing collection of RC cars, especially given the fact that we do own two backflipping stunt machines already, and we really don't need a third one?

Really looking forward to your feedback! :)

Both are great RC’s. I own both and enjoy both. The maxx 2 is faster top speed. Both are quick but, the rustler is quicker.

The maxx v2 is a pretty stable ride. But, it’s not as stable as the vxl rustler. Both respond well in the air. With the maxx being the better of the two.

Both are tough as nails as well. However, when running on ground that has obstacles that the front lower A arms will not clear, just note that if you clip something with them, you are likely going to break it where the shock bolts in.

I’m not talking about bumping it. I’m talking wot or at least hauling the mail.

If I had to choose, it’d be the rustler. It’s just a fun rc. But, I don’t skate park bash mine. I run them off and on road wot. 😄

Thanks for the replies! :)
After long consideration - which also involved the Hoss because it seems like a fun RC - I finally made my decision and purchased a MAXX v2. Three rides in now, and I'm kind of happy. :D

Kind of, because it is pretty tough indeed and survived the skatepark without any drama whatsoever. But it feels sluggish, with missing low-end torque and punch. Perhaps I'm biased coming from the Arrma 6S platform (Talion and Outcast), but unless given massive airtime the MAXX just can't pull backflips. Heck, even my Talion EXB is more lively than the MAXX, and I'm still running it on the stock tires (belted Katars).

Not sure where exactly the problem lies with the MAXX, but to me it seems like a combination of not enough grip (the sledgehammers slide even on pavement), tires with insufficient momentum (the MAXX sledgehammers are just 10mm more in diameter than the version intended for the Rustler, but the MAXX is twice as heavy), and too much gearing towards high speed rather than low-end torque.
I'm running the MAXX on 4S, with a new Spektrum 4S 5000mah 50C pack, and I've also made sure I'm not in training mode (double-checked, actually).

Question is:
What's the best place to start if I want a MAXX that's a bit more lively and doesn't drive like a dead fish? Tires? Or rather gear down, and if so, how much? Any advice?

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies! :)
After long consideration - which also involved the Hoss because it seems like a fun RC - I finally made my decision and purchased a MAXX v2. Three rides in now, and I'm kind of happy. :D

Kind of, because it is pretty tough indeed and survived the skatepark without any drama whatsoever. But it feels sluggish, with missing low-end torque and punch. Perhaps I'm biased coming from the Arrma 6S platform (Talion and Outcast), but unless given massive airtime the MAXX just can't pull backflips. Heck, even my Talion EXB is more lively than the MAXX, and I'm still running it on the stock tires (belted Katars).

Not sure where exactly the problem lies with the MAXX, but to me it seems like a combination of not enough grip (the sledgehammers slide even on pavement), tires with insufficient momentum (the MAXX sledgehammers are just 10mm more in diameter than the version intended for the Rustler, but the MAXX is twice as heavy), and too much gearing towards high speed rather than low-end torque.
I'm running the MAXX on 4S, with a new Spektrum 4S 5000mah 50C pack, and I've also made sure I'm not in training mode (double-checked, actually).

Question is:
What's the best place to start if I want a MAXX that's a bit more lively and doesn't drive like a dead fish? Tires? Or rather gear down, and if so, how much? Any advice?
It’s the gearing is my guess. And, if you have no experience with Traxxas vehicles after your novel experience with a much faster more refined armma platform, it’s likely you are just underwhelmed.

I know after driving my sledge, my Xmaxx seems slower then if I drive only my Xmaxx.

Just got a maxx v2 myself. Didn't drive for more than half a pack but it seemed pretty lively. I put in a massive 9200 100c battery!
I'd say try to find a 100c battery to test, or throw in a hobbywing quickrun 8bl150 esc!
The battery may help but the 8th scale esc will show that truck who's boss! Even on 4s.
Saw some videos of maxx v2 with 6s ... it's overkill

It's not that it's not fast. That's fine. Same goes for acceleration. Drifting on loose surfaces, speed jumps, blasting over uneven terrain - all fine. And despite the high center of gravity it doesn't traction roll as much as I'd expected.

But it just doesn't want to backflip unless beaten to it. Now, what I wanted the Maxx to be is a middle ground between my Arrma Outcast 6S and my Arrma Talion 6S. Right now it's more like high-center-of-gravity Talion, though. With the exception that, right now, the Talion actually backflips more easily than the Maxx.

I don't really need another 6S rig, but I want my Maxx to be a nice middle ground that doesn't require the same amount of wrenching as my other 2 cars. Guess I'll start with some different tires, most likely dBoots Backflip LP 4S, and see how that works.

Check out rich duperbash on you tube. He tweaked his stock maxx2. His complaints were some of yours. And, he addressed the sluggish feel his had.

Back