ugh..nightmares..fun times

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nitro RC Basher

Gone - bye bye.
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
i really really really want a baja. I'm saving my pennies. actaualy more like saving my 20s:bandit: I'm just debaiting between the RTR and the SS. I might not be ready for a big project like a SS but I've taken my savage apart down to the chassis plates and put it back together numerous times. so i think I'm ready for an ss but i dont know. what are the things you need for the SS.

For any kit I suggest patience and thoroughness. Dont rush to get it doneand find out you left something out.

Also I suggest the proper tools.kit tools suck In fact the only kit I kept the tools was from my old OFNA PCR Pro buggy.

Take your time and read through the directions and highlight areas that need threadlock and special lubricant.

Go with the SS version. There is a lot of difference in the SS and the RTR, unlike the Savage where the SS only has a few minor upgrades. If you've taken your Savage apart and put it back together, you will be able to build this using the instructions. If you run into problems the people here or over at hpibajaforum.com will be able to help you out. The SS has a much larger engine and a performance exhaust, which are the first two things people replace on the RTR. That's a $500 savings right there.

You will need a radio system (transmitter and receiver) and a throttle servo. I used the HiTec 645 MG for mine, they are only $27 bucks on ebay shipped.

Go with the SS version. There is a lot of difference in the SS and the RTR, unlike the Savage where the SS only has a few minor upgrades. If you've taken your Savage apart and put it back together, you will be able to build this using the instructions. If you run into problems the people here or over at hpibajaforum.com will be able to help you out. The SS has a much larger engine and a performance exhaust, which are the first two things people replace on the RTR. That's a $500 savings right there.

You will need a radio system (transmitter and receiver) and a throttle servo. I used the HiTec 645 MG for mine, they are only $27 bucks on ebay shipped.

so basically(because i never buy anything used) the $500 you save goes partially a new radio system. you said i need a throttle servo. does it come with a steering servo and is the throttle and steering servos both SF-10s

I'm glad i got the rtr over the ss. though i wish it wasn't asembled..and the stock radio is still working fine for me.. they did do some good upgrades in the ss.. but i have yet to replace ANY of my rtr parts except the metal gears in the servo.. the big changes in the ss are metal diff case, thicker shock shafts dog bones, motor, pipe and clutch spring.. and i think thats pretty much it.. as far as the 23cc verse the 26cc.. night and day.. but $79 will get you a 29cc top end that bolts right on to the baby 23cc.. thats the only major ad on that i have.. the ss comes with metal gear servo thats pretty good..

1 request. does anybody have pics of you holding the baja so i can see how big this thing actaually is

Found on google images:

bajastandingfg3.jpg

Here is a pic of mine next to a 1/28 scale mini-z.

The 5b is about 32" long.

sidekick.jpg

I looked at all the pics I could find of it with smaller scale cars and with people standing next to it and it just didn't seem that big to me. But once I started assembly I realized that it was HUGE! Here's the thread where I documented the build of my SS and took a lot of pictures. I started on it Friday and finished Sunday night, cranked it up on MOnday, and this was taking my time and no shortcuts so I could make sure that I did everything right the first time. For the radio, a lot of guys are running the 3PM by Futaba. You can get the 3PM FM system for 120 brand new and the 3PM FASST for about 180 brand new. I have a 3PK and 3PM, and I'll let you know how the 3PM is when I used it, haven't opened it yet.

https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55578

The RTR I got had alot of the upgrades. Nitroghost got the ss. Not much difference in top end performance. His take off is a little bit better but not much. Stock radio works fine.

Get the SS that way you can build it yourself and will know how to get to something that needs replacing.

The SS comes with upgrades to problem areas on the RTR like the shock shafts, drive shafts, diff and of course you get the larger engine.

As mentioned, you will need your own transmitter, receiver and throttle servo. A failsafe will also be needed if the set-up you get doesn’t have one built in.

Mine started life as a RTR when I got it, but now the only thing on it that only comes on the RTR is the purple aluminum.

Either way you go, you will not be disappointed.

well I'm going to get the ss. i ve come under these things are rare. good thing my lhs has 20

My LHS has one of these on display -- out for everyone to touch and play with it -- so I know how big these beasts are. The damn thing weighs almost as much as me (not really lol) but it is freaking huge.

man that air filter looks bigger than my whole 2.5R engine lol

Back