new guy ? about crawlers and aftermarket

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since last June, I've owned many of the options mentioned. I have installed Hobbywing Fusion Pro (2300kV) electronics in the Axial Base Camp, and AE Element Enduro Ecto. Between those two, I found the Ecto to be more capable, and the shocks also didn't leak, like they did on the BC. Only issue I have with the Ecto is the body is beginning to crack, and they are expensive to replace. I have yet to find chop shop AE parts for this truck. The Base Camp is sold, and the Ecto is for sale.
My next crawler was the Axial Capra 4WS (4 wheel steering). This rig is a game changer. Like it so well, I bought a second, when I found one discounted. Added weight to the front, and it will be getting one of the HW Fusion 2 in 1 systems, pulled from the BC. I also have overdrive portal gears inbound. I would like to find a nice set of shocks for it. All 3 Axial crawlers I've had have leaked shock fluid.
Latest addition to the crawler fleet is the Vanquish VRD Stance. With the comp style chassis, front OD (over drive), front axle weights, and larger, soft tires, it's easily the most capable of these, out of the box. This truck is getting the Fusion Pro motor/ESC, from my Ecto. The VRD carbon kit, would be my #1 choice, for a kit. It's going to be easier to work on, than the Capra, due to having to pull the cage to access components, and a tighter layout. With the front OD, and better shocks, with a slightly lower stance, it will out perform the VRD, in certain circumstances. The 4WS is a blast. If I had to pick one, it would be the VRD. The suspension, and F10 portal axles alone are worth the price of admission. While the straight axle rigs can get it done, I prefer portal axles. Don't forget, Tires & foams are your biggest value, for a performance boost. Steering servo(s), are usually next. For me, the Hobbywing Fusion Pro systems are also a very worthwhile improvement. You'll find all these trucks have their pros and cons, for your use, but in my experience, while RTR electronics are always a bit lacking, they are usable, and fairly durable, though I don't get them wet, often. Between stock motors/ESCs, the VRD Stance stuff seems to be the smoothest of the bunch. If the VRD Carbon kit had come with the body, it would have been the best option for me...Stance bodies weren't available, when the RTR 1st came out.

Redcat Everest 10 (red body) and RC4WD Bully2 (blue body) are the only ones I have but both are fun and reliable. Tires and steering servo will always need changed out, except the stock tires on the bully work really really well on rocks but not in loose terrain. The Redcat is a good value, cheap, durable and easy to upgrade, with house brand metal parts or scx10 parts, as well as convertible to 4ws for just a few dollars if you already have another 3+channel radio available. The bully is great, RTR radio is actually nice, but the shock springs are too stiff for any real use to me and it needs extra thread lock on everything; still, it's very capable and i put a body on mine for cheap. The Redcat body ($16) and universal extra long body posts ($4) were all that's needed to make it look more normal. Parts availability is good for both but aftermarket is nothing like Traxxas or axial rigs, though i have been able to buy anything i wanted for either without issue.

That vanquish VS4-10 looks tempting but my next crawler will likely be something with portals. Or large scale like the SCX6.

IMG_20230909_111231384.jpg

Screenshot_20240217-093201.png

IMG_20230827_080340121.jpg

Screenshot_20240217-093801.png

Last edited:
Since last June, I've owned many of the options mentioned. I have installed Hobbywing Fusion Pro (2300kV) electronics in the Axial Base Camp, and AE Element Enduro Ecto. Between those two, I found the Ecto to be more capable, and the shocks also didn't leak, like they did on the BC. Only issue I have with the Ecto is the body is beginning to crack, and they are expensive to replace. I have yet to find chop shop AE parts for this truck. The Base Camp is sold, and the Ecto is for sale.
My next crawler was the Axial Capra 4WS (4 wheel steering). This rig is a game changer. Like it so well, I bought a second, when I found one discounted. Added weight to the front, and it will be getting one of the HW Fusion 2 in 1 systems, pulled from the BC. I also have overdrive portal gears inbound. I would like to find a nice set of shocks for it. All 3 Axial crawlers I've had have leaked shock fluid.
Latest addition to the crawler fleet is the Vanquish VRD Stance. With the comp style chassis, front OD (over drive), front axle weights, and larger, soft tires, it's easily the most capable of these, out of the box. This truck is getting the Fusion Pro motor/ESC, from my Ecto. The VRD carbon kit, would be my #1 choice, for a kit. It's going to be easier to work on, than the Capra, due to having to pull the cage to access components, and a tighter layout. With the front OD, and better shocks, with a slightly lower stance, it will out perform the VRD, in certain circumstances. The 4WS is a blast. If I had to pick one, it would be the VRD. The suspension, and F10 portal axles alone are worth the price of admission. While the straight axle rigs can get it done, I prefer portal axles. Don't forget, Tires & foams are your biggest value, for a performance boost. Steering servo(s), are usually next. For me, the Hobbywing Fusion Pro systems are also a very worthwhile improvement. You'll find all these trucks have their pros and cons, for your use, but in my experience, while RTR electronics are always a bit lacking, they are usable, and fairly durable, though I don't get them wet, often. Between stock motors/ESCs, the VRD Stance stuff seems to be the smoothest of the bunch. If the VRD Carbon kit had come with the body, it would have been the best option for me...Stance bodies weren't available, when the RTR 1st came out.
thanks bro that was uber informative, man i read nit like 3 times, thanks so much

Redcat Everest 10 (red body) and RC4WD Bully2 (blue body) are the only ones I have but both are fun and reliable. Tires and steering servo will always need changed out, except the stock tires on the bully work really really well on rocks but not in loose terrain. The Redcat is a good value, cheap, durable and easy to upgrade, with house brand metal parts or scx10 parts, as well as convertible to 4ws for just a few dollars if you already have another 3+channel radio available. The bully is great, but the shock springs are too stiff for any real use to me and it needs extra thread lock on everything, but it's very capable and i put a body on mine for cheap. The Redcat body ($16) and universal extra long body posts ($4) were all that's needed to make it look more normal.

That vanquish rtr looks tempting but my next crawler will likely be something with portals.

View attachment 181959

View attachment 181960

View attachment 181961

View attachment 181962
thr rc4wd 2 looks sooooo badass bro, i have been looking for muscle car bodies like a chevelle to put on mine, i love the pikup truck look, put to ME those muscle car bodies look to badazz, i want bodies for my cars that i can swap out lol

thanks bro that was uber informative, man i read nit like 3 times, thanks so much

thr rc4wd 2 looks sooooo badass bro, i have been looking for muscle car bodies like a chevelle to put on mine, i love the pikup truck look, put to ME those muscle car bodies look to badazz, i want bodies for my cars that i can swap out lol
Glad you found it useful :cool::thumbs-up:

I put the fusion se in the bully, since it's MOA i had to buy 2, and love them. I couldn't stand the squealing from the brushed system even though it worked flawlessly and factory dig is amazingly useful and really fun.

I have a bad habit of buying bodies and never painting them which is why i got the painted body for 16 bucks. I'll do a cage next, got a tenacity cage that just needs body panels attached. I like your idea of a Chevelle or similar body though. Reminds me of seeing a 1970's Corvette monster truck as a kid.

Last edited:
Redcat Everest 10 (red body) and RC4WD Bully2 (blue body) are the only ones I have but both are fun and reliable. Tires and steering servo will always need changed out, except the stock tires on the bully work really really well on rocks but not in loose terrain. The Redcat is a good value, cheap, durable and easy to upgrade, with house brand metal parts or scx10 parts, as well as convertible to 4ws for just a few dollars if you already have another 3+channel radio available. The bully is great, RTR radio is actually nice, but the shock springs are too stiff for any real use to me and it needs extra thread lock on everything; still, it's very capable and i put a body on mine for cheap. The Redcat body ($16) and universal extra long body posts ($4) were all that's needed to make it look more normal. Parts availability is good for both but aftermarket is nothing like Traxxas or axial rigs, though i have been able to buy anything i wanted for either without issue.

That vanquish VS4-10 looks tempting but my next crawler will likely be something with portals. Or large scale like the SCX6.

View attachment 181959

View attachment 181960

View attachment 181961

View attachment 181962
It hurts my back looking at those pics 😅

Cool rigs!

423735813_366535049473687_4223214994474552353_n.jpg

went and picked up 2crawlers for my son and i, @Doom! i went with the ecto for myself, and the redcat for my son like @YourConfused has, those pics sold me bro
i also picked up a set of beadlock rims, cause they looked dope. and a set of proline trenchers in the predator compound. i didnty ever pay attention to the battery on the redcat till it was too late, that one takes a different battery than i have multiples of on hand, i have i think 6 eith deans connectors, this one is something else
its ugly rainy day here today, so no creek time but tomorrow we are exploring.
so stoked

423541984_1768608336949306_3624512792661327993_n.jpg

423472182_401617539119180_8577268152554405168_n.jpg

View attachment 182706
went and picked up 2crawlers for my son and i, @Doom! i went with the ecto for myself, and the redcat for my son like @YourConfused has, those pics sold me bro
i also picked up a set of beadlock rims, cause they looked dope. and a set of proline trenchers in the predator compound. i didnty ever pay attention to the battery on the redcat till it was too late, that one takes a different battery than i have multiples of on hand, i have i think 6 eith deans connectors, this one is something else
so stoked

View attachment 182704

View attachment 182705
Awesome! First order of business will be extending the wheels and massaging away the front steering stops for better steering. I went with brass wheel weight extensions with the aluminum wheels and lowered it with different shocks to drop it's cog significantly which made a massive improvement in performance. For the price it's fantastic. Only things I've had problems with is my GF managed to bend the RT front axle twice. Easy fix and parts are super cheap. I'm sure the both of you will have a ton of fun!

View attachment 182706
so stoked

View attachment 182704

View attachment 182705

Glad you guys got some sweet rides to explore with. I sense some serious fun in your near future. :thumbs-up:

I also just got an Ecto a few weeks ago and I am loving it. Threw a Hobbywing Fusion SE 1800kv in it with some beadlocks and weighted wheels and I'm very impressed with what it can handle already. Got my wife interested enough we took the Ecto and TRX4 out for a 2 mile hike through a park nearby with lots of rocks/roots, etc. I have a feeling I'll be crawling and hitting the trails as much or more than I bash this year.

The 1/12 scale Ecto that Element just released looks great too, I have a feeling one of them will follow me home from the hobby shop eventually. :cool:

I also just got an Ecto a few weeks ago and I am loving it. Threw a Hobbywing Fusion SE 1800kv in it with some beadlocks and weighted wheels and I'm very impressed with what it can handle already. Got my wife interested enough we took the Ecto and TRX4 out for a 2 mile hike through a park nearby with lots of rocks/roots, etc. I have a feeling I'll be crawling and hitting the trails as much or more than I bash this year.

The 1/12 scale Ecto that Element just released looks great too, I have a feeling one of them will follow me home from the hobby shop eventually. :cool:
oof i just spent like 3 hours putting tires on beadlocks omg please never again

I just got a new set of aluminum beadlocks to replace the second set of carbon wheels I've broken. Now i just hope i don't break something expensive next time. Has this thread gotten derailed? Pics of new wheels? What did you do for foam and tires?

i got some rc4ws wagon wheel rims
423541984_1768608336949306_3624512792661327993_n (1).jpg
, and proline trencher's
423568385_894802912323497_2882715255267819418_n.jpg

it lowered it by a little but the tires are much more grippy
didnt change the foams at all yet, gotta see what she do before then i guess, i do want some cooler LOOKING p0arts, not sure aboutperformance, but id like some desert lizard coil over shocks, i think they look badass,

423472357_772811214723406_235299198481446630_n.jpg

423541829_942850360513115_3984406974791967988_n.jpg

423422293_796105695892002_2898143571303730948_n.jpg

423568313_704989398384041_8306666829407374715_n.jpg

You should try putting .7 beadlocks together 😉
20220511_122124.jpg

But Doom's right. It gets easier. You need some extra long screws. Insert the clamp ring into the tire and try to center it, making sure the lip of the tire is on the inside of the clamp ring. Press the front of the wheel into the lip of the tire evenly. Then insert the longer screws. Slide the back of the wheel over the screws and get it evened up in the lip. Then thread the hub on a little bit with each screw. Try to go around evenly in a criss-cross pattern and turn each screw a little at a time until the two wheel halves make contact. Then start inserting your normal screws.

You should try putting .7 beadlocks together 😉
View attachment 182781

But Doom's right. It gets easier. You need some extra long screws. Insert the clamp ring into the tire and try to center it, making sure the lip of the tire is on the inside of the clamp ring. Press the front of the wheel into the lip of the tire evenly. Then insert the longer screws. Slide the back of the wheel over the screws and get it evened up in the lip. Then thread the hub on a little bit with each screw. Try to go around evenly in a criss-cross pattern and turn each screw a little at a time until the two wheel halves make contact. Then start inserting your normal screws.

dang... i think thats in my future a little bit tbh, got a bro wantinf to pick up a trx4m so I'm looking at a 1/24 or 1/18 soon possibly, thats looks so frustrating

423542020_3792480094372310_8505908620945775237_n.jpg
getting a garage going... love it. took the crawlers out to the lake and it was so much fun, my son enjoyeds it till he hit a rock and broke the steering servo arm (4.99) i called the store in the ville and they had the part ready for me, then i got to talking to the guy and I'm also picking up rear-wheel steering for the Redcat. i also want to pick up some good wheels for it, i am not sure what to get tho... I'm bringing it with me so I'm sure ill come to a decision.
i have not added any decals to the ecto, i am not sure I'm going to, id like to learn about painting and body modding tho, i have this idea in my head of either an old logging truck or a bootleggers truck (although me going to beat the creek this year is definitely influencing that choice, but i still dig it)
or a VW beetle. or a Chevelle, or a Nova, or a Malibu, or a... or a ...or a....

Attachments

• 423422701_1082947186324604_7910171857899669271_n.jpg
    423422701_1082947186324604_7910171857899669271_n.jpg
    294.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 423686591_3546666552314465_6600927194393481358_n.jpg
    423686591_3546666552314465_6600927194393481358_n.jpg
    424 KB · Views: 11
  • 423568478_911036454090066_8997225281711438652_n.jpg
    423568478_911036454090066_8997225281711438652_n.jpg
    394.1 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
dang... i think thats in my future a little bit tbh, got a bro wantinf to pick up a trx4m so I'm looking at a 1/24 or 1/18 soon possibly, thats looks so frustrating

View attachment 182865 getting a garage going... love it. took the crawlers out to the lake and it was so much fun, my son enjoyeds it till he hit a rock and broke the steering servo arm (4.99) i called the store in the ville and they had the part ready for me, then i got to talking to the guy and I'm also picking up rear-wheel steering for the Redcat. i also want to pick up some good wheels for it, i am not sure what to get tho... I'm bringing it with me so I'm sure ill come to a decision.
i have not added any decals to the ecto, i am not sure I'm going to, id like to learn about painting and body modding tho, i have this idea in my head of either an old logging truck or a bootleggers truck (although me going to beat the creek this year is definitely influencing that choice, but i still dig it)
or a VW beetle. or a Chevelle, or a Nova, or a Malibu, or a... or a ...or a....
Nice collection!

Back