my new AX-4 wont bind?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

majin

RCTalk Talkaholic
Supporter
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
  4. Scale Builder
hey guys, me again
this time its my

1/24 SCX24 2019 JEEP WRANGLER JLU CRC 4WD ROCK CRAWLER BRUSHED RTR​

i just got my new controller in today and tried to bind it, somethings not right.
i have car off, trans off, hold bind button, turn on trans, light flashes, turn on car, esc flashes, then steering will kick in, but no throttle. there is also a sound from the motor, like its trying to go but can't? you know me I'm making a video to explain better lol
you have to turn it up pretty loud to hear the humm I'm talking about but its audible in the video. my dumbass most likely has something plugged in wrong, i tried swapping out the steering, that just made the throttle turn the car but it still didnt go anywhere

Is your throttle trim at zero when you turn the truck on?

If so, it could be a burned up ESC. Contact Horizon. It should be under warranty.

Last edited:
Is your throttle trim at zero when you turn the truck on?
yes, when i try the calibration it starts to attempt to go then sort of just bogs down almost.
this doesn't have throttle trim like my others,
it has channels tho, i have
ch1 set to 0 on the dial and the ch1 switch set to N, have tried it in R as well same result
d/r st to middle (have tried it in all positions really)
ch 3 is set to nuetral
the training wheel switch is set to H ( tried it on all 3 same result)
controller seems to bind, but esc doesn't want to stop flashing acting like it isnt bound. i have steering tho, if it wasn't bound wp0uld i have steering? makes me think is something wrong with the motor possibly? i have tried finding videos or reddits about calibrating the ae-6, i can only find videos on calibrating older models. i tried those calibration methods tho
holding full send while i turn on car, this is supposed to then go fast and beep at me, which is when i would full reverse then full nuetral then it would beep saying its calibrated.
i get a little struggle of some wheel turn then nadda.

20240406_193144.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/@axialvideos/search?query=ae-6
even axial doesn't have a video on it, has an older model, but again thats the method that is not working

Last edited:
yes, when i try the calibration it starts to attempt to go then sort of just bogs down almost.
this doesn't have throttle trim like my others,
it has channels tho, i have
ch1 set to 0 on the dial and the ch1 switch set to N, have tried it in R as well same result
d/r st to middle (have tried it in all positions really)
ch 3 is set to nuetral
the training wheel switch is set to H ( tried it on all 3 same result)
controller seems to bind, but esc doesn't want to stop flashing acting like it isnt bound. i have steering tho, if it wasn't bound wp0uld i have steering? makes me think is something wrong with the motor possibly? i have tried finding videos or reddits about calibrating the ae-6, i can only find videos on calibrating older models. i tried those calibration methods tho
holding full send while i turn on car, this is supposed to then go fast and beep at me, which is when i would full reverse then full nuetral then it would beep saying its calibrated.
i get a little struggle of some wheel turn then nadda.

View attachment 187372
You may have a burned up the motor or the ESC.

The dual rate steering knob is how you set your endpoints. Once set, don't move it or you could burn up your servo.

To set the endpoints, turn the wheel full right and hold. Adjust the dual rate knob just to the point the linkage binds up, then back the dual rate knob off til the linkage just loosens up. Repeat for left turn. Turn wheel all the way left snd hold. Adjust dual rate knob. Now check both directions and make sure your steering linkage isn't in a bind.

Are your cables plugged in correctly? Pics would help.

I couldn't remember what went to channel 2 and all of mine are open. Nothing apparently plugs in there.
I did notice however it looks like your shocks are upside down. Not that it matters mind you.
I'm kind of leaning towards a fried esc also.

@majin the wire that you have in aux, plug that into led and see what happens.

IMG_1386.JPG

Last edited:
I couldn't remember what went to channel 2 and all of mine are open. Nothing apparently plugs in there.
I did notice however it looks like your shocks are upside down. Not that it matters mind you.
I'm kind of leaning towards a fried esc also.
yes they are lol, when i traded the guy for the truck he said it was to help lower the CG by that little extra bit, but i switched them around, and realised the little extra part binds on the body when its on correctly, upside down i get smooth travel so i just kept them that way.
By the way, your radio/ESC is the older model.
the AE2 is newr than the AE-6? thats weird lol , so its seeming like i may need a new esc and motor, furytek you say? i mean I'm bummed to not be able to drive my jeep
but I'm stoked that i now HAVE toupgrade my motor and esc based on my gurus recomendations
you guys are right.. totally better off getting more updated parts for it.
thats assuming the new esc would bind correctly to this controller right?

@majin the wire that you have in aux, plug that into led and see what happens.
i have plugged it in to a few other tabs its just the lights on the bumper, i have the battery charging as one web page suggested i may be hitting cutoff or some such, battery is at 75% but ima try it all to maybe get it working
once battery is fully charged ill throw it in the led slot, i dont remember why i didnt have it in that tab originally but i think there was a reason.... maybe lol

I found this.
1. Press the Bind button and power on the transmitter. The transmitter LED will fl ash.
2. Power on the receiver. The receiver LED will fl ash.
3. When the LED changes to solid, binding is complete.
When the binding process is successful, the receiver BIND LED will stay solid red when both the transmitter and receiver are turned ON. If the receiver BIND LED is fl ashing rapidly or not illuminated at all, the transmitter and receiver are not paired. Turn both the transmitter and receiver OFF, then repeat the binding process.
Under some circumstances, the receiver may not operate after the transmitter and receiver are turned ON. If this occurs, repeat the binding process

Make sure your cables are the right way too. Plugging them in upside down could burn things up.

And yeah, the AX-4 and AE-6 were the original electronics when the SCX24 released.

If you get a Furitek system, it should work with your radio. The newer ESC they are putting in the SCX24 does not. So if you had the newer ESC and went with a Furitek ESC, You'd also need a new radio.

I'll offer once more solution, as @WickedFog suggested. FURITEK. They are killer systems and you would love them.

I found this.
1. Press the Bind button and power on the transmitter. The transmitter LED will fl ash.
2. Power on the receiver. The receiver LED will fl ash.
3. When the LED changes to solid, binding is complete.
When the binding process is successful, the receiver BIND LED will stay solid red when both the transmitter and receiver are turned ON. If the receiver BIND LED is fl ashing rapidly or not illuminated at all, the transmitter and receiver are not paired. Turn both the transmitter and receiver OFF, then repeat the binding process.
Under some circumstances, the receiver may not operate after the transmitter and receiver are turned ON. If this occurs, repeat the binding process
i tried this first its straight from instruction manual, i get the trans to bind the steering but not throttle and the esc just keeps flashing and doesn't turn solid.

Make sure your cables are the right way too. Plugging them in upside down could burn things up.

And yeah, the AX-4 and AE-6 were the original electronics when the SCX24 released.

If you get a Furitek system, it should work with your radio. The newer ESC they are putting in the SCX24 does not. So if you had the newer ESC and went with a Furitek ESC, You'd also need a new radio.
i just tried flipping them in case i had em in upside down, lost steering when i did that so assumed it was in correclty and switched it back, got steering back

this ones just about the lights, i have to have them in aux as led slot appears to be ded

After you changed over to the led slot did you try to rebind it?
I'm thinking a bad esc.
Strange one to me bud. I would seriously check into a Furitek system.

Are you plugging those LED's in with the black wire on top? That's upside down. The black wire is ground. The bottom pins on your receiver are the ground pins.

I sent you a text message.

I'll offer once more solution, as @WickedFog suggested. FURITEK. They are killer systems and you would love them.

After you changed over to the led slot did you try to rebind it?
I'm thinking a bad esc.
i didnt try to rebind no, i just saw that when i plugged and unplugged the light would react
I've given up on it at this point
I'm looking on furteks combo page to see whats in my price range, sadlyy this one gets the least runtime
so wont be breaking the bank on it