new guy ? about crawlers and aftermarket

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

majin

RCTalk Talkaholic
Supporter
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Crawling
  3. Scale Builder
hi i have a few questions about crawlers.
so I'm looking on youtube and i stumble across rock pirates rc. their rigs look so badass. i see the they make stuff specifically to fit certain models,
ie: The Rock Pirates RC Kraken VRD is a Low Center of Gravity (LCG) Comp Chassis. The Kraken VRD is a direct fit to the Vanquish VRD Carbon and VRD Stance RTR.
does this mean that it will match up perfectly to the pre existing holes on the vanquish frame but thast it CAN fit others? or is it spoecifically designed with that specific model in mind?
i get that i am probably really overstepping and wasting my time currently with considering this type of upgrade. but id rather decide on an idea of how i WANT my rig to look and go from there rather than buying say a trx4 which seems hella dope. but its not the end product i want.
how do i decide what i need to upgrade?
i broke my bangood rc. fried the ESC I'm pretty sure. i put a 3s battery in it and it is only rated for 2 s, the steering works but no go or reverse.
so i decided i must have burnt the ESC, i ordered a new esc and motor its on the way. now after the fact I'm wondering... will i have to change gears and pinions? or will i be abl;e to just glue in the new parts and rock it?
i added the spec sheet for the truck heres a link to new motor and esc https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BY55NTC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
the factory motor is 2840 4000kv brushless
the new motor is 2838 4500KV Sensorless Brushless Motor
i understand the 2840/2838 are size measurements and the 4k is my power. since the new motor is slightly larger numbers on kv, will that screw my gears up? also i just noticed the reciever is a part of the factory esc... do i need to get a reciever now as well? i got in a little deeper than i was ready for lol

423221200_924431496072473_121460520365096311_n.jpg

423735652_7139207486200067_1090176223600631009_n.jpg

423568647_1029693521463171_1581513171191714905_n (1).jpg

423422467_312656161338963_8284647172410710749_n.jpg

Honestly, I would start simple, then decide if you even like crawling, before you spend a lot on upgrades. As in any hobby, it's best to get the basics down before jumping in the deep end. There are a ton of good crawlers out there in all different sizes. Take your time looking, there will always be something new and improved out there.

Do you want something hyper capable that can crawl up near vertical walls? A nice trail truck that can do most obstacles, and still have a decent amount of scale realism.
Or hyper realistic that sacrifices performance for super scale detail. Most of my rigs fall in the middle, I like them to look realistic but still be able to clear most obstacles.

Everyone is different that's why there are so many choices. :)

Honestly, I would start simple, then decide if you even like crawling, before you spend a lot on upgrades. As in any hobby, it's best to get the basics down before jumping in the deep end. There are a ton of good crawlers out there in all different sizes. Take your time looking, there will always be something new and improved out there.

Do you want something hyper capable that can crawl up near vertical walls? A nice trail truck that can do most obstacles, and still have a decent amount of scale realism.
Or hyper realistic that sacrifices performance for super scale detail. Most of my rigs fall in the middle, I like them to look realistic but still be able to clear most obstacles.

Everyone is different that's why there are so many choices. :)
I'm not trying to do anything competition level, mainly trail walking thru creeks and trails with the family,
my thinking was, if I'm going to drop 500+ on a rtr, i want to make sure i dont make the same mistake i made with my hbx. i got this rc car and love every second of it, then i go to upgrade it and nothing fits cause its a knock off i guess?
so if i do buy the kit that I'm looking at say the axial scx 10 base camp. it seems like id enjoy that, but I'm eventually going to want to swap parts out be it for looks or performance, I'm afraid of getting a model that is super difficult to find parts for, or the specific items i want.
scale realism doesn't interest me as much as trying to get my truck to go places it doesn't look like it should not crawling vertical walls but steep creek banks and wooded underbrush.
my hbx gets leaves caught up in it affecting how it drives and steers.
so id like a project truck that i can start off competent then upgrade as i go based on the conditions and environment. but I'm really nervous about buying a kit that wont do what i want. this is why I'm asking.
your comment made me realise that no
i dont want or need a comp crawler per sae, but id like one that i COULD if i wanted MAKE into something much more capable than it was without having to go thru hella hoops to get parts that fit. i am probabl;y still not explaining well.
but thanks for the input

Sounds like you are leaning towards a nice trail truck which this is what I like. Lots of upgrades and scale realism can be added.
One thing you need to remember any time you want to purchase a rig is MAKE SURE THERE IS AVAILABLE PARTS FIRST. This can't be stressed enough.
So many times we have seen guys buy a really cool rig from amazon or banggood just to find out they can't get parts. Mighty spendy paper weight.

I'm not trying to do anything competition level, mainly trail walking thru creeks and trails with the family,
my thinking was, if I'm going to drop 500+ on a rtr, i want to make sure i dont make the same mistake i made with my hbx. i got this rc car and love every second of it, then i go to upgrade it and nothing fits cause its a knock off i guess?
so if i do buy the kit that I'm looking at say the axial scx 10 base camp. it seems like id enjoy that, but I'm eventually going to want to swap parts out be it for looks or performance, I'm afraid of getting a model that is super difficult to find parts for, or the specific items i want.
scale realism doesn't interest me as much as trying to get my truck to go places it doesn't look like it should not crawling vertical walls but steep creek banks and wooded underbrush.
my hbx gets leaves caught up in it affecting how it drives and steers.
so id like a project truck that i can start off competent then upgrade as i go based on the conditions and environment. but I'm really nervous about buying a kit that wont do what i want. this is why I'm asking.
your comment made me realise that no
i dont want or need a comp crawler per sae, but id like one that i COULD if i wanted MAKE into something much more capable than it was without having to go thru hella hoops to get parts that fit. i am probabl;y still not explaining well.
but thanks for the input
The Axial SCX trucks have tons of hopup parts available for them. But if I were going to drop $500 on a RTR crawler, I'd buy a Vanquish I think. I don't own any 10th scale crawlers yet, but I am pretty sure after doing some research, talking to the guys here, and watching videos that I would be happy with any SCX10, TRX4, or Vanquish. Have you looked at many others?

Last edited:
Sounds like you are leaning towards a nice trail truck which this is what I like. Lots of upgrades and scale realism can be added.
One thing you need to remember any time you want to purchase a rig is MAKE SURE THERE IS AVAILABLE PARTS FIRST. This can't be stressed enough.
So many times we have seen guys buy a really cool rig from amazon or banggood just to find out they can't get parts. Mighty spendy paper weight.
yeah, I'm that guy you're talking about lol, spent 400 on 2 knock offs, but they helped me decide i really like it and now want to get the "real" thing, because I've broken this hbx 3 times and repairing it is becoming a major issue as no one has parts and ordering them usually has a 2-3 week ship time.
trail crawling seems hella fun to me, so i want your guys advice before i choose.

The Axial SCX trucks have tons of hopup parts availbe for them. But if I were going to drop $500 on a RTR crawler, I'd buy a Vanquish I think. I don't own any 10th scale crawlers yet, but I am pretty sure after doing some research, talking to the guys here, and watching videos that I would be happy with any SCX10, TRX4, or Vanquish. Have you looked at many others?
i keep going to those 3 myself, i was hoping that someone would say what you just did tbh lol, i have the tabs for those 3 specific brands open to compare. so after nailing it down to those 3, are they large enough brands that there are multiple options for upgrading?
I'm planning on ordering a kit for one of those 3 to build my own, have been watching build videos and i like it, but i have not learned the lingo yet so am often confused.
so in your opinioin the axial would be bottom choice compared to a vanquish or the trx? they all have great reviews and i enjoy watching all 3 of them the traxxas i like the least but it seems everyone loves it so must be a reason,

If you haven't looked at Element yet I am a big fan. Decent prices with good aftermarket support.
a few of those do strike my fancy , I'm glad that I'm looking already in the direction youse guys are pointing me. its reassuring
so now I'm just going to have to pick one, will be a few weeks before i decide still. appreciate all the advice I've gotten so far

Everybody has there favorite but when it comes to hobby grade and quality rigs, they will all be great choices.
I prefer the SCX10 platform. I have built several of them from the ground up and there is a ton of parts available.
Be prepared for a whole bunch of enjoyment.

i keep going to those 3 myself, i was hoping that someone would say what you just did tbh lol, i have the tabs for those 3 specific brands open to compare. so after nailing it down to those 3, are they large enough brands that there are multiple options for upgrading?
I'm planning on ordering a kit for one of those 3 to build my own, have been watching build videos and i like it, but i have not learned the lingo yet so am often confused.
so in your opinioin the axial would be bottom choice compared to a vanquish or the trx? they all have great reviews and i enjoy watching all 3 of them the traxxas i like the least but it seems everyone loves it so must be a reason,

a few of those do strike my fancy , I'm glad that I'm looking already in the direction youse guys are pointing me. its reassuring
so now I'm just going to have to pick one, will be a few weeks before i decide still. appreciate all the advice I've gotten so far
As TP said, you can't go wrong here. As I said, I don't own any of them, and should leave this to the guys with experience, but I've watched a worrysome amount of video on all of them, along with the Element trucks that Doom mentioned. And they are kickass trucks. I just have a bit more love for those cool looking Vanquish body designs.

As TP said, you can't go wrong here. As I said, I don't own any of them, and should leave this to the guys with experience, but I've watched a worrysome amount of video on all of them, along with the Element trucks that Doom mentioned. And they are kickass trucks. I just have a bit more love for those cool looking Vanquish body designs.
i agree i just told my wife I'm gonna get a vanquish the silver stance. it seems to be the one id like most until i build my own kit

One day I'll add a Vanquish to the collection. More enticing since they started with the plastic axles, so now us mere mortals can afford them.
I find it worrysome Vanquish has seemed to be moving towards RTR kits. And Horizon got rid of the Ryft and Capra kit versions. They even discontinued the Capra altogether. I just don't get it.

I find it worrysome Vanquish has seemed to be moving towards RTR kits. And Horizon got rid of the Ryft and Capra kit versions. They even discontinued the Capra altogether. I just don't get it.
i thought the ryft was badass was kinda hopin to get one l;ol now i know why i couldn't

Vanquish still has their kits, I think they just realized how much of the market they were missing out on by only offering high price kits. With the economy in the crapper, I think everyone is minimizing their products to what sells best. If and when the economy turns around again, I think you will see more kit options again.

Vanquish still has their kits, I think they just realized how much of the market they were missing out on by only offering high price kits. With the economy in the crapper, I think everyone is minimizing their products to what sells best. If and when the economy turns around again, I think you will see more kit options again.
I couldn't find any of the kits I looked at before. I saw one or two, but they all used to be kits.

Back