Insomnia, and How to Deal With It?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HPIguy

Durability Tester
Staff member
Supporter
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Long story short, I've had mild insomnia since I was a little kid. But it seems as I get older, it's getting worse (hence why I'm posting at 2:30AM and have to be at work at 8). My job probably doesn't help, about a twice a month I have to go in around 2AM and work until 10 or 11. And that throws my sleep cycle off for a few days. I can't really take meds like Ambien because I'm on call 24/7 also, so I can't be just zonked out of my mind with drugs. Plus, I've tried them before and hated the hung over feeling the next morning. I'll stay up very late tonight, then work all day tomorrow, then generally after coming home I'll fall asleep way too early, and start the cycle all over again. I've tried cutting out caffeine after lunch time, that didn't help. I have a four day a week work out routine for about an hour or maybe a bit over that Mon - Thurs, and that has helped the most so far since my job isn't very physical. But sometimes that backfires as well, as the endorphin release from the work out gets me amped up and then I can't sleep either. I have no idea what causes it, but it sucks, and I feel tired and want to nap a lot of the time, even on weekends when I'm off work and should be out doing things with friends. Do any of you have or have had insomnia or have any tips on a method to deal with it?

Actually having a bout with it right now lol :) . I've had it for about 8months or so since I started having anxiety problems. One thing that helped a little is stay away from the tv or computer an hour before you try and go to sleep, read or listen to some calming music.

I feel your pain! Last Wednesday and Thursday I went in to work at 1:00 am. Friday and Saturday I was in at 8:30 am. Last night I went in at 3:30 pm. I don't know if I will have to work or not tonight. If not will I get called in Tuesday morning or have to catch an evening nap to work Tuesday night? Sigh...

I fight it every night, it seems if i get on the pc or start watching TV at bedtime makes it worse, seems like the calming music does work for me soemtimes,but other times it keeps me awake and pisses me off:angry:, i havent found anything that consistantly helps me with mine, i think my body has adjusted to 3-5 hours of sleep, although after work I'm a walking Zombie.

Oh, and for Gods Sake, dont start working on a RC car before bed, that never works.:p:

I have that problem every now and then if i lay in bed for a hour and can't fall asleep I get up smoke a cig drink a small glass of milk then go back to bed. usually fall to sleep fairly quickly. what really kills me is I'm also oncall 24/7 also and if I get called around 9 or 10 I can't stop thinking about the factory's problem and can't fall asleep(I do PLC programing so I end up with code running through my head all night even after I fall asleep)

Thankfully I have never had this problem, but when I first started working graves, I would come home, smoke (cig) and have a couple shots or a few beers to wind me down followed by a sleeping aid pill. Not sure if it compares but like stated above maybe wind down with some calming music and a tall beer, and make sure your not in a fully lit room while trying to crash.

Maybe this helps, who knows, but I tried.

Have you ever taken Ambien, not something like it but the actual Ambien? Thats what I take and I have never woke up with a hangover feeling, I actually wake up feeling better and easier compared to not taking anything. After years of working nights the whole crew I worked with was taking it and no complaints ay all. The only thing is that I need to get at least 5 hours of sleep, any less than that and I'm not in a good mood at all but if I get my 5 I'm good to go.

^^Thats what its called, Ambien, this stuff works wonders, take as a whole, dont cut in half for its time relased, but it works WONDERS ^^

First thing I would do is look at the environment of your bedroom. You should make sure that it is dark and quiet. It should also be a comfortable temp. That was what I was advised to do when I first started having problems sleeping.

I had the same problems and got a new bed recently, haven't slept better in my life! A little bowl of weed doesn't hurt either before bed time :)

Benadryl works works for me and there are no after effects.

I take Melatonin to help me sleep. It seems to let your mind relax without making you drowsy.

You can get it at Walmart OTC. Its an herbal supplement.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the tips guys, I really appreciate it.

Smaxxin, The Ambien that I had was the real deal, not generic, and given out by my family doc. I hear the new Ambien CR isn't as bad, so maybe once tax season is over I can give that a try. I never take anything though, not even tylenol, so maybe that's why it made me so groggy the next morning.

Hamz, I did do the dark thing. Curtains weren't enough to kill the street lights, so I hung a blanket over the top of the curtains and now have a vampire lair. On the noise, I live next to the street in an apartment, so not much I can do about that one.

One thing that seems to be having a 50/50 success rate, is that about an hour before I want to sleep, I turn off the TV, and get away from the PC or anything backlit. And I've started going up to bed, getting comfortable, and reading on my kindle since it's e ink and not backlit. That way, if I get sleepy, I can simply put down the kindle, and turn off the light and sack out.

One of the biggest issues I have is getting my brain to turn off. I'll be tired, and lay down, but my mind is still going 100mph, with all kinds of thoughts racing through it. I've tried random things like counting sheep (sounds silly I know) but anything monotonous to trick your brain into lulling to sleep, and that doesn't work. I've tried music, but then I just focus on the words and stay awake till the radio timer runs down. Hmmm, maybe some classical?

Being one that often has to sleep in motels during the day I have taken to wearing a sleep mask, earplugs, and take the afore mentioned Melatonin.

I usually listen to New Age music or some Classical to drown out the outside noise at my apartment. I don't have much traffic at night except for trains and this helps.

I have insomnia and the only way to deal with it is sleeping meds. Ambien to be specific, only negative thing about it is you instantly feel hungry when you take it. Gained 20 LBS after about a year of taking it. But i really have no other choice, I've tried tons of diff things and remedies for inducing sleep and hasnt helped me at all. If i dont have my ambien ill stay up till sunlight and even if i get tired enough to finally sleep ill just sleep for about 2 hours maximum.

Mainly the reason i have insomnia is because i have this issue called triple concentrating where i just keep thinking and thinking alllll day and night. But the ambien slows it down so i can just pass out.

^^ROFL^^

I hate this thread now.... After reading this yesterday afternoon, just prior to going to bed, all I could think about was this topic, and I lost a good hour over it, thanks a whole hell of a lot haha.