Back on the Pedals

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xraycer

RCTalk VIP
Lifetime Supporter!
Supporter
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
  4. Flying
Last week, I dug out my nearly 25yo Cannondale mountain bike. Inflated the fully flat tires, and cleaned off the braking surface of the rims.
I found a tow hitch car bike rack at Harbour Freight for only $45. Dirt cheap, so I figured I give it a try. The rack turned out to be very well built, so for the price, it was a bargain.
I went to Peabody town forest, which is in town and where I've frequently taken my crawlers. Well, it's years since I've ridden off road, and it shows. I didn't feel super steady on the trail, and I was winded very, very early. Man, it sucks getting old!
Well, it looks like I'm going to need to put the work in to get those cycling muscles and lungs back. However, I did enjoyed being back on the bike though.
Today, I hit those same trails, and already made a noticeable improvement with the handling and stamina. Much more enjoyable!
Looking forward to more riding and hopefully increasing physical improvements.
Now, I want to give the bike a major cleaning and lubing, and replaced those original tires. Everthing else appears to be shipped shape.
20230408_123818.jpg
20230412_172227.jpg
20230420_164132.jpg
20230412_165942.jpg

Nice bike. After not riding for a few years, i picked up one of these: https://www.amazon.com/BestMassage-...ocphy=9005776&hvtargid=pla-633954932372&psc=1 and set it up in the living room when its cold, and out on the porch when its warmer until i got in better shape, or, for when i couldnt get out on the trails.
I still have a trainer from when I was really into road cycling, about 10 years ago.
I just found it way too boring. Also, it's way too loud to use with the knobby mtb tires.
Who knows, perhaps my cycling will evolve back into street riding again. I still got carbon fiber GT hanging in the basement ceiling.

I'm getting back into bike riding. I really don't do any trails or any parks. Just around the neighborhood with my cousin and her friends. There is a short trail near the creek at her elementary school she goes to so we do that trail. Its a short trail. Nothing exiting about it. When we are trying to race together, she says how are you catching up to me? And I say cause I got 7 gears. They all got BMX bikes and me, my dad and uncle have mountain bikes. Once my belt slipped and had to put it back on. When I get more into bike riding I might wanna get some accessories. Maybe a better seat and some holder things. I would like to build a custom trailer for it so I can haul my RCs and stuff to the base ball diamond.
PXL_20221124_173058696.jpg

I'm getting back into bike riding. I really don't do any trails or any parks. Just around the neighborhood with my cousin and her friends. There is a short trail near the creek at her elementary school she goes to so we do that trail. Its a short trail. Nothing exiting about it. When we are trying to race together, she says how are you catching up to me? And I say cause I got 7 gears. They all got BMX bikes and me, my dad and uncle have mountain bikes. Once my belt slipped and had to put it back on. When I get more into bike riding I might wanna get some accessories. Maybe a better seat and some holder things. I would like to build a custom trailer for it so I can haul my RCs and stuff to the base ball diamond. View attachment 163995
Cheapest one I came across. If you're willing to pay $90, I think it would be great for what you have in mind.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Aosom-El...e-Easy-Entry-Red/130471140?from=searchResults

To be honest, I am kinda bummed. When I clicked on this thread, I was expecting to see...
20230421_083446.jpg

Glad you're able to get back into it. My bike riding days are long gone, and I really miss riding.

25y.o. classic looking good as new. True, you're older now. But perhaps wiser when it comes to challenging trails? You and your Cannondale will be back in top shape in no time.

25 years ago I was trail riding motorcycles and about that time Cannondale was dabbling in building a FIM-legal motorcycle MX chassis. For that reason followed them for a while.

Looking forward to seeing some trail riding photos and maybe a vid? Have fun. Be careful. As we grow older, we heal slower. 'AC'

When I bought this Cannondale, around 1999, there was a buzz about them getting into the internal combustion scene.
Did they even make it to market?
@ahr43
@HPIguy

When I bought this Cannondale, around 1999, there was a buzz about them getting into the internal combustion scene.
Did they even make it to market?
@ahr43
@HPIguy
Guys, you really had me dig back in the archives for this one. Wasn't sure I still had it, but here she is. The Cannondale MX, courtesy Dirt Bike magazine, June 1998. Army had me posted to Korea back then and I'd get all entire FIM MX series on Army cable TV.

Don't think the bike ever made it past the mock-up stage, but she sure looks good. Cannondale had a test track at its Connecticut HQ and there was mention of it being tested by either Doug Henry or John Dowd. I was following Henry big-time back then and don't remember him ever saying or not he rode one.

Anyway, good memories and not meaning to hi-jack the thread, only add to it. The Raven Cannondale in the article looks to have a mono-shock rear suspension, ala the MX move to mono's back then.

20230421_100421_resize577x433.jpg

20230421_100449_resize577x433.jpg

In that case, fun related fact. In late 2001 I was in college, and worked in a bike shop for a job. Cannondale was apparently so deeply involved in their moto efforts, that their bicycles really suffered for a time. They were jokingly referred to as Crack 'n Fails at that time.

Swung by a bike shop after work today, and picked up 2 new tires, 2 sets of brake pads, and a tube of chain lube. Saw a lot of super cool bikes and gear!
No riding today though. Had a very busy day at work, and I signed up for a double shift tomorrow. So, just want to chill this evening.

I've taken it out a couple of times so far, still a bit cool in Idaho but every day is getting nicer.
I have to build back up to the miles. I am severely out of shape.
The groceries got the best of me this winter.
I am so ready though...

IMG_0491.JPG

I've taken it out a couple of times so far, still a bit cool in Idaho but every day is getting nicer.
I have to build back up to the miles. I am severely out of shape.
The groceries got the best of me this winter.
I am so ready though...

View attachment 164065
Forgot how cool your bike looks. I really like those triangular frames. This one has been getting my attention. And look, it's in your color! It would be nice having a modern bike, but I can't really justify another bike. However, at only $500, it is really, really tempting!
Screenshot_20230422_120220.jpg

Back