Back on the Pedals

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like an awesome time. I love seeing a friendly snake out in the wild. They’re amazing for something that has no arms and legs.

I get so many of those decibel notifications, but the headphones I use (isotunes), only go to 85 and I’m never even maxed. The phone doesn’t actually know. I wish I could turn them off.

Yep, I dodged him, then stopped the group and we blocked at both ends of the trail to make sure it made it across safely. It was super chill with us, and I love having them around as they eat/kill things I don't like having around. They are a great part of our eco-system for sure.

Yep, I dodged him, then stopped the group and we blocked at both ends of the trail to make sure it made it across safely. It was super chill with us, and I love having them around as they eat/kill things I don't like having around. They are a great part of our eco-system for sure.
I love seeing snakes around my property! They are my sentinels against rodents. Mostly garters, but venomous copperheads are rare. I hate when people brag about needlessly killing snakes on site! As if, they did the world a favor.
Yesterday, me and my dad were going to go on a ride. Got our bikes out of the shed. And his tire was completely flat. We tried to fill it back up. And 3 minutes later it is flat again. Took the wheel off. Took off the tire. Note: It is the stock tire that has been on there for 6+years. And we figured out the inner tube was leaking. So we went to Walmart. They had a inner tube so we got 2 of them and 2 of them for me just in case. Went back home, We had to start dinner so we did that. And went back to work. Got the new inner tube installed. We also had a new tire sitting in the shed so we installed that. Got it all back together around 7:30 so it took us about 3 hours. Lol. First time changing an inner tube/tire. Next time since we know what we are doing, it should take 30 or less minutes. After, we went on a bike ride around the neighborhood. Planning on going bike riding more to get outside more and exercise. Me and dad haven't played tennis in a long time so we might do that sometime this week.
I've had to plug 3 car tires in the past 5 weeks. The 3rd one was just yesterday. I did that one in like 15min. Getting really good at it. Not sure if that's actually a good thing 😆

My dad says that next year I should get a new bike. Preferably 26" mountain bike. Right now I have a 24".
But if i do get a new one next year. I plan to keep the one I have now for my cousin.
My dad also has been looking into a new one. He wants a fat tire bike but it will be more expensive. And less easy to transport.
We ride around the neighborhood. Sometimes go to the trails at state parks or local parts.

Having not ridden since Sunday evening, and the fact that my padded shorts came today, I decided my legs are good and I’m headed to the trail this afternoon. Boy was I wrong. I rode about a mile, but I went to a different park about 10 minutes from my house thinking the green trails would be similar to what I rode at the other park. There was a lot more elevation change on the green trail that leads to 2 other trails. My legs were on fire and I was completely out of breath when I got there .7 miles later. There’s a specific green trail that is 1.8 miles long I was planning to ride, but I decided it was best if I just took the .4 mile downhill exit trail back to the lot. That was the most downhill flowy action I’ve gotten so far. I was so uncomfortable. I’ll get better. I think it’s just how out of shape I am right now.

On a different note, the changes I made to the bike made a huge difference. I moved the seat slightly forward and added xl PNW grips as a well as a 40mm riser. I never once thought about my arms going numb like they did over the weekend.

Last edited:
Having not ridden since Sunday evening, and the fact that my padded shorts came today, I decided my legs are good and I’m headed to the trail this afternoon. Boy was I wrong. I rode about a mile, but I went to a different park about 10 minutes from my house thinking the green trails would be similar to what I rode at the other park. There was a lot more elevation change on the green trail that leads to 2 other trails. My legs were on fire and I was completely out of breath when I got there .7 miles later. There’s a specific green trail that is 1.8 miles long I was planning to ride, but I decided it was best if I just took the .4 mile downhill exit trail back to the lot. That was the most downhill flowy action I’ve gotten so far. I was so uncomfortable. I’ll get better. I think it’s just how out of shape I am right now.

On a different note, the changes I made to the bike made a huge difference. I moved the seat slightly forward and added xl PNW grips as a well as a 40mm riser. I never once thought about my arms going numb like they did over the weekend.
What bike you got? I got a Trek Roscoe 8 I've been dying to use downhill but there is nothing local.
Between work and rain, I haven't been able to get any ride time in. Still want to do a thorough cleaning of the bike as well, but haven't been able to really do that either. I want to clean the bike before I put on the new tires. I have, however, been able to order a few things for it online.
I just got home about 30 minutes ago, and got delivery on my new bling pedals. Popped them on and took a test ride around the house. They look fantastic, lightweight, and really grab my shoes. They're also wider than my original pedals, so it's more comfortable having more real estate to stand on. It does makes me cringe thinking these pedals will cause serious pain and damage should I slip off and take them on the shins...or any other body parts!View attachment 164212
Got a link? I'm looking for something like that.

Last edited:
What bike you got? I got a Trek Roscoe 8 I've been dying to use downhill but there is nothing local.
Giant Fathom 1.

D18E5DDB-F245-432B-8247-38E6834DFB5F.jpeg

Yesterday, I installed the Curt class 1 tow hitch to my new Impreza. The video from the etrailer website made it seem fairly simple. Even people rating the install process gave it a 4 out of 10 in regards to install difficulty. I would rate it as an 8. And I'm very mechanically inclined and have a lot of tools. When all is said and done, I ended up using tools which most people don't own, including: an angle grinder, universal joint sockets, a Dremel, a 3 ton hydraulic floor jack, 4 jack stands, and a creeper. Even with all these things at my disposal and my son for an extra set of hands at the end, the install took well over an hour! Mind you there was a bit of grinding to the vehicle and to the accessories provided to get things to fit. I also went the extra mile and spray painted the exposed metal areas I had grinded on the car.
This is the 3rd vehicle I've installed a tow hitch on. None were simple, but this one was the toughest and the only one that needed modifications. Fortunately, I only plan to tow my bike with the Impreza, so I didn't have to do the other pita process of installing the light harness like I did with the other 2 vehicles. Well, it's on and I'm stoked to be able to transport my bike to the trails again!
After that installed, I'd decided I would keep the momentum going and install the new wider handlebars. It was also a bit of a process, but at least I didn't have to do it on my back at all. Now, to wait to find out if the wider stance makes much difference in riding comfort.
It's been raining here since yesterday and the trend will continue for the new several days, so it may be another week before things dry out and I can get back on the trail.
20230604_094526.jpg
20230604_094813.jpg
20230604_094732.jpg

How's the bike and hitch going @Xraycer ?

I did 35-40 miles Monday and then again Tuesday. Day one was my Trek Roscoe, and day two is the spare Trek Verve 3 as I had a flat. Went from 3 inch tires to pencil thin. Watched the poor thing almost roll off the rim.🤪

20230620_093251.jpg

How's the bike and hitch going @Xraycer ?

I did 35-40 miles Monday and then again Tuesday. Day one was my Trek Roscoe, and day two is the spare Trek Verve 3 as I had a flat. Went from 3 inch tires to pencil thin. Watched the poor thing almost roll off the rim.🤪

View attachment 167682
Man, I've been slacking! Haven't ridden in a month.
That's great to hear that you've put on some good milage there! You've gotta be excellent riding shape to put those kind of distances in New England. It's all hills here.

Man, I've been slacking! Haven't ridden in a month.
That's great to hear that you've put on some good milage there! You've gotta be excellent riding shape to put those kind of distances in New England. It's all hills here.
I am in excellent shape. Rectangles and rounds. 🤣 Car problems was the reason. 350 IBS and in the 100° heat I can hold my own. Old man got in the er so I used his truck bed as a pool. 😁

While we are flat mostly in this county, the flats are up and down so I do get a small taste of it.

I've been to a strip club once, when I turned 21. Never understood it to be honest. It's like paying the car payment on a car you know good and well you're never going to get to drive.
Same. My dad took me to a strip club when I was 16. Didnt understand the fascination then and at 49 I still dont understand it. Not that I mind the scenery but as you say, its like giving a paycheck to stare at some artwork in a museum. 🤷‍♂️

Back