I'm back.

• Thread starter SilentHunterKellen
  • Start date

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yeah, I knew auto-x's are 2nd and stick to it I was just sayin I can't heel-toe yet cuz you mentioned it. Couple things I don't like about my car are exactly the things you pointed out. Flywheel sucks, shifter sucks, (linkage isn't all that smooth to begin with). I almost hate to double clutch and match to 6000 cuz it takes so damn long. Three things I'd love to mod on my car are wheels/tires and the flywheel.

lol, well my car has a super heavy flywheel, and the shifter is a little notchy and it takes a lot of movement to change gears. One problem I have is sometimes when i'm downshifting or upshifting, my clutch work goes faster than I can switch gears and i'll totally miss the gear.

What kind of car do you have?

kwong2001 said:
lol, well my car has a super heavy flywheel, and the shifter is a little notchy and it takes a lot of movement to change gears. One problem I have is sometimes when i'm downshifting or upshifting, my clutch work goes faster than I can switch gears and i'll totally miss the gear.

What kind of car do you have?

wow, that all sounds just like my car. hehehe. I'm most disappointed in my 3rd gear. Everything else is pretty good considering what it is, but I think they could have worked on the linkage transition to 3 a bit more. heh, or maybe it's just me... probably tha later of the two, :)

'02 Civic Si (crappy N.A. spec :thumbdown: )

I to will be replacing my pullys with UR (Unorthodox Racing) pullys. Both the flywheel and the serpantine pully. I am also think of dropping my oil pan and cutting the balancer shaft chain and removing the balancer shafts. I would have to install new motor mounts at that point do to that added vibration. The balancer shafts spin the opposite direction the pistons do. I have a big 4 cyl and it has a really long stroke. The balancer shafts spin @ twice the rpms that the engine does to create a smoothing effect. I can gain like5-7whp just from removing them and replacing it with a spacer kit made specifically for this.

My car

Here's my car. This isn't a pic of "my" car but one tha I googled that looks just like it.

4622mycar.jpg

*cough cough ricer-to-be cough cough*

Well here is my Baby. Bone stock as my GSR is in the garage right now.
Picture170.gif

and here is the ride it was going to go in.. . My Xterra is in the background.
Picture105.gif

SilentHunterKellen said:
*cough cough ricer-to-be cough cough*

um, nope.
I've had it 2 years and it still looks like that. I'm not big into the import scene. I'm a big fan of what I like to call "real sports cars". I'll be lookin to get a nice used 996 when my Si is paid off. Always been a big fan of Porsche. I'm like the 24 year old version of the kid in the commercial :)

Lessen, did you buy your car new? or used? If used, why didn't you get the gen before?

edit: just so you know, you're got an absolutely HUGE aftermarket for your car. You could build a rediculous car.

Yup there are a bunch of those rolling around here and one iI see near my work is full blown top to bottom. When the driver hits the gas and the vtec kicks in it screams!!!!

New. I was in a pinch. I was having major problems with my Monte Carlo and I wanted something reliable. Times were different then also, since then I've gotten married, moved, got a new job (that doesn't require me to drive nearly as much) It was a pretty good deal and it fit into what I needed at the time. super cheap financing but I still had to talk my then g/f into helping with "papers". Life wasn't goin very smoothly for me at the time. I'm grateful she had enough faith in our relationship at that time. Don't get me wrong, I like the car for the most part... it's just not really me.

* in response to your edit *

I know. It could be one bad motha. 2 years ago there wasn't poop. That's when I was actually thinking about doin stuff to it. Now that the market is there I don't give a hoot. go figure. :shrug:

Last edited:
Hey, if the car isn't you, and your current/near future situation allows it, trade in the car for something more to your liking. There's no point in driving something you don't HAVE to drive anymore.

considering how upside down I am. I do HAVE to drive it. LOL I had 4 grand negative rolled onto it from the get go. I put nothin down on it. It get's the job done for now. Besides, I don't want to get anyting that the insurance companies label a "sports car" until I'm at least 25 anyways. And I'm not gonna settle for anything other than a sports car for my next ride. Unfortunately, I spent a year sellin cars so I used to see this kinda crap all the time. It just makes me uncomforetable so i'm just gonna have as much fun as I can untill the time is right. Maybe, and this is a big maybe I'll do a few things if I really get into autocrossing but I'll just see what happens. Besides, I'd rather learn heel/toe in a civic rather than a Porsche. :) Speaking of...I did a little bit of heel braking today goin to work to practice the feel. I think if I can get comforetable just heel braking eventually I can try to match revs at the same time. whadaya think?

Sounds like you got the right kind of car for your situation right now. You could actually autocross it right now and be competitive. There's stock classes. Biggest thing with autocross is throttle control and weight distribution. If you can feel the degree of understeer your car is making, and change it, you'll be fine.

Not sure what you mean with heel braking, but I can tell you the best way to build coordination before you start actually doing the heal toe downshifts. Unless your pedals are super far apart, you wont' be doing a text book heal toe. My pedals are close together, and I just use the side of my foot. What I do is have a small portion of the left side of my foot on the brake, then when I blip the throttle, I use the right side of the foot. To build coordination, when you roll up to a red light, clutch in, and keep it in neutral. Practice blipping the throttle as if you're heal-toeing. The trick is to not give more brake. You could even go through the gears on your shifter (all while keeping the clutch pressed in) to further build coordination.

Once coordination is built, start doing it for real. Do it in higher gears at low rpm. Say 5th-4th on the off-ramp at 50-60mph. Keep the engine below where the powerband picks up. You may find you sometimes get a hard braking effect after the downshift. Once you can do it smoothly, start doing it in the next lowest gear (but never downshift to 1st). Then eventually start adding more rpm. But make sure you can at least do it good in the lower rpm through 2nd-4th gear. Once you get to the high rpm, 2nd gear downshifts, it will get very tricky. If not done perfectly, the syncros will scream at you "STOP IT."

One thing to remember when actually doing a heal-toe, timing is everything. You're not completely off of the gas when the clutch is engaging. It's hard to explain, but make sure you still have at least a little gas on while the clutch is engaging. When you get good, full rpm downshifts will happen VERY fast even with a heavy flywheel. I can downshift a lot faster than I can up shift.

Dont autox a huge hatch like that. Try lowering it or getting better rolling stock. How wide is the tires on that thing? I'm guessing around 6.5" or so, just get better rolling stock and suspension componnents and you can be a contender in auto x. Just watch out for bodyroll. Some hatches have huge bodyroll. yuck

I don't really have anything to compare it to Kwong but i think my pedals aren't set up very well for that. I have to literally have my heel on the right side of the brake and point my toes over toward the gas to be able to reach both. it's feel extremely awkward cuz I feel like my foot has to be at a 60 degree angle to be able to reach. I dunno though, I never really paid much attention. I'll check it out today though.

Kellen- my car is anything but huge and in stock form the suspension is rather impressive considering what it is. Yes, if definately could use larger wheels and tires and that's the biggest gripe of anybody who has one. they are 195/55-15's.

if you look at the other cars that are in my class (G stock) you can see that I'm in good shape to be competitive. the bigest thing about making changes is the fact that the first thing I would want to do is larger/wider wheels. well that automatically jumps me out of G stock class. I would actually be better off competitive wise to do something like an exhaust change which wouldn't necessarily bump me out of stock class.... but I'd have to check on that.

If you go with larger wheels you'll loose a lot of whp. If anything, just get better tires. Trust me, even in stock form, you can get most cars to handle A LOT better than you can imagine. My car handles like poop, but I know how it reacts and can manipulate the body roll to make the car handle a lot better than it probably should.

kwong2001 said:
If you go with larger wheels you'll loose a lot of whp. If anything, just get better tires. Trust me, even in stock form, you can get most cars to handle A LOT better than you can imagine. My car handles like poop, but I know how it reacts and can manipulate the body roll to make the car handle a lot better than it probably should.
I agree! On my integra or my civic I will not put anything else than 15's I am locating a set of either GSR's or Mugen 15's.

I likey the Cloud White Xterrra! What engine is in there?