Help: Under $200 1/10th Nitro off-road Challenge.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didnt say you couldnt happen across a good deal on a kit that was in decent shape but I know from experience early on in my RC hobby I bought a total of 8 used kits. 4 of them were complete garbage that needed tons of work done to them where the user had jerry rigged all kinds of crap and just generally did not take proper care of their kits. 2 of them were ok at first but developed major proplems within 3 months of owning them. One of these kits I thought I was never going to figure out what the problem was a problem buried inside the transmission. 1 of the kits was ok but nothing special and one kit was a real gem and I got a honey of a deal on it although this particular kit is not a popular one and has no race class for it so I got a great deal on a basher.

Can you stumble across a good deal on a used kit? It possible but not likely. The only people that are gonna sell a name brand kit for cheap are people that are desperate for money or those who know the kit has issues. The later is usually the case in my experience.

Agreed Greywolf. I personally buy used quite often but only for the wrenching experience. Most of the 1's I buy are already basketcases and I know this going into them. For a noob trying to get into the hobby your absolutely right - most people selling cheap know theres something wrong but tell you its a great rig. Under $200 exists but you will get what you pay for new or used

$200 is just simply not enough. If I had $250 to spend on a rig today, I'd order the Helion sct, the biggest 2s Zippy lipo that fits it and a decent 2/3s dc balance charger. When I recieved the rig, I'd tare it down to the diffs for inspection, shim them correctly and reassemble using locktite where appropriate. My next 50-100 bucks would go to another battery, mt tires, body and a selection of pinions to use with the larger tires. Then I'd have a track setup and a bashing setup.