Flying Fish Nitro Upgrades

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No worries.

It's worth noting that the aluminum hubs are also applicable to the electric model (HSP 94123), and there are a lot more of those out there, so you can broaden your potential buyer pool. In fact, one of diffs you've bought specifically has the electric-version driveshaft, (the longer one) which mounts a spur gear in the rear. The front one is the same for nitro and electric.
Is the diff the same for front and rear for nitro HSP cars?

Yes, it is.
Thanks, man! I appreciate your advice. I removed the diffs and 2 -sod trans and lowered the price quite a bit. If this doesn’t work, I will sell in pieces as you mentioned.

They are pretty much the same. I have had chassis from Redcat Racing, Hobby Park, HSP, Exceed RC, and pretty much every company that sells them on Amazon and AliExpress, and, the only difference i really found was color. One thing to make sure of though, is which cars the chassis is listed for. For example, this one is for the 94102: https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805506119425.html?pdp_npi=2@dis!USD!$4.84!$4.26!!!!!@2103250716883517871666714e9849!12000034025663756!btf&_t=pvid:dd807f25-4eb3-41a5-a88a-663bdbdcc818&afTraceInfo=1005005692434177__pc__pcBridgePPC__xxxxxx__1688351787&spm=a2g0o.ppclist.product.mainProduct&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa and is listed for the 94101 and 94102, but, this chassis is listed for the 94123: https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804636062880.html?pdp_npi=2@dis!USD!$8.81!$5.90!!!!!@2101c5c316883518634505039ea734!12000030617216925!btf&_t=pvid:026616de-3de5-4509-9b53-b96f9b3818c9&afTraceInfo=1005004822377632__pc__pcBridgePPC__xxxxxx__1688351863&spm=a2g0o.ppclist.product.mainProduct&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa and also fits the 94103, but, this chassis is listed for the 94102, as well as the following cars (HSP 94123 94101 94102 94103 94103Pro), so make absolutely certain which chassis it actually is. IIRC, the electric cars the chassis is flat, and the nitro cars arent, but, its been over a year since i messed with converting a nitro to electric, so dont quote me on that.
Hey guys! I finally received the HSP road car with pillow ball suspension and I got the upgrade aluminum parts to replace the rear lower suspension swing arms and noticed the stock plastic has adjustable mounts for the shock absorber (a lower and upper position while the aluminum piece has only one position in the center. Is this okay for a non drift car arrangement? I’m not a drift guy at least for now. Also, there is a lot of play in the swing arm while the plastic had none. Is there a shim for the pin? Thanks!

image.jpg

image.jpg

Hey guys! I finally received the HSP road car with pillow ball suspension and I got the upgrade aluminum parts to replace the rear lower suspension swing arms and noticed the stock plastic has adjustable mounts for the shock absorber (a lower and upper position while the aluminum piece has only one position in the center. Is this okay for a non drift car arrangement? I’m not a drift guy at least for now. Also, there is a lot of play in the swing arm while the plastic had none. Is there a shim for the pin? Thanks!

View attachment 170227

View attachment 170228

It should be fine, you'll still have plenty of control over the ride height if you so choose. The stock setup uses the lower hole, and I usually switch mine to the upper one for a little more ground clearance. Right in the middle should be just fine.

I use M3 washers to shim up loose pin-joints in my cars.

Yes, it is.
I have a new body for it too!

image.jpg

It should be fine, you'll still have plenty of control over the ride height if you so choose. The stock setup uses the lower hole, and I usually switch mine to the upper one for a little more ground clearance. Right in the middle should be just fine.

I use M3 washers to shim up loose pin-joints in my cars.
Thanks, again!

I have a new body for it too!

View attachment 170229

Thanks, again!
I got the 1979 Boss Mustang body from Eric at RC-Tradingpost on Ebay. What he does is amazing and you get to choose the color. When he is finished, he packages the shell in a heavy duty box. I’ve bought two cars and both came in perfect condition!

I got the 1979 Boss Mustang body from Eric at RC-Tradingpost on Ebay. What he does is amazing and you get to choose the color. When he is finished, he packages the shell in a heavy duty box. I’ve bought two cars and both came in perfect condition!
Here is another angle of the Boss Mustang.

image.jpg

Here is another angle of the Boss Mustang.

View attachment 170320

Nice! Great color.

There's a very minor mod I did to one of mine that you might like- if you flip the rear A-arms (the same ones you posted about), it'll shorten the wheelbase by about 5mm, from 260 to 255, and that will fit most body shells perfectly.

Ironically, even the stock GTR shell was intended for a 255mm wheelbase, it fits better after the mod.

I'll upload a pic in a few hours.

Nice! Great color.

There's a very minor mod I did to one of mine that you might like- if you flip the rear A-arms (the same ones you posted about), it'll shorten the wheelbase by about 5mm, from 260 to 255, and that will fit most body shells perfectly.

Ironically, even the stock GTR shell was intended for a 255mm wheelbase, it fits better after the mod.

I'll upload a pic in a few hours.
You are very perceptive, buddy! Will it handle the same?

You are very perceptive, buddy! Will it handle the same?

It turns a little tighter, and spins out under power more a little more easily.

Here's the shortened wheelbase:

20230821_155341.jpg

20230821_155419.jpg

Great. I will keep that in mind and watch for curbs! Thanks, as always for spot on advice.

Great. I will keep that in mind and watch for curbs! Thanks, as always for spot on advice.
Anyone have a factory schematic for a 94122 with part numbers? I could use a good photocopy if there is a place that sells them!

Anyone have a factory schematic for a 94122 with part numbers? I could use a good photocopy if there is a place that sells them!
Here

You want the one 4th from the bottom. I'd recommend saving a copy of the .pdf since there's no knowing how long that site will host them.

1692658630163.png

Thanks!!! Huge thanks! I looked and looked today!
Hey buddy! Did you say you converted an HSP car from nitro to electric? Can you send me a few pictures from different angles with the body off? Thanks!

Hey buddy! Did you say you converted an HSP car from nitro to electric? Can you send me a few pictures from different angles with the body off? Thanks!

I haven't done one personally, but here's a few pics from the listing for the conversion kit:

1696046984834.png
1696046959009.png

Last edited:
Thanks! Your awesome!
I appreciate help along the journey for me to learn more about Nitro RC cars. I promised pictures of the finished HSP Model 94122 Flying Fish. I like the Nissan GTR body and prefer it without stickers. I like the 94122 suspension and I’ve added shims to keep the wheels from deflecting. I have upgraded to a Kingtair K18 motor, electric starter plate, header, 20KG fast steering servo, 5 cell NIMH hump pack and a gyroscopic receiver. I am happy with all the choices and thanks to advice on this website from guys who wish to help others. I will reposition the receiver before I take it out for a spin. Thanks, guys!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Back