E3003 Upgrade for Nitro HSP Road Car

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would strongly recommend a rechargeable Nimh pack for your battery, 4xAA's bog down if you try to steer and brake at the same time, even with the stock servos. You'll also be able to go out with a full charge every time, instead of burning through AA's and still suffering low power.

Nickel batteries can provide way more current, which is crucial for servo performance and not "browning out" the receiver, which is where the voltage drops so low it loses connection. A 6V hump pack is all but standard for nitros these days.

As for servo upgrades, I'm partial to JX servo PDI-4409MG's. They've got all-metal gears, good self-centering, more than enough strength for the Flying Fish, and are reasonably quick, too.
How do you get the humo pack to fit the battery box?

It's roughly the same size and shape of 4x AA cells by design, it fits into the same space:

20230829_005121.jpg

It's roughly the same size and shape of 4x AA cells by design, it fits into the same space:

View attachment 170764
Thanks! The specs on Amazon must be wrong or lets me say many of the hump pacs are listed to be 3 in by 3 in.

View attachment 170764
thank you!

View attachment 170764
Thanks! The specs on Amazon must be wrong or lets me say many of the hump pacs are listed to be 3 in by 3 in.

View attachment 170764
thank you

Last edited:

thank you!

thank you
I took your advice and bought a hump pac and MIMH charger. I found a better quality 6v. steering servo and can’t wait to put it all together. I upgraded the engine to the 18cx with the red head and added an electric starter plate and aluminum header. The red head engine looks great too as my car is a Nissan GTR painted metallic red. I have not upgraded the suspension yet. I am considering the aluminum steering hubs and that’s about it. I appreciate all the suggestions!

I took your advice and bought a hump pac and MIMH charger. I found a better quality 6v. steering servo and can’t wait to put it all together. I upgraded the engine to the 18cx with the red head and added an electric starter plate and aluminum header. The red head engine looks great too as my car is a Nissan GTR painted metallic red. I have not upgraded the suspension yet. I am considering the aluminum steering hubs and that’s about it. I appreciate all the suggestions!
I bought a new Digital Proportional Receiver which includes RX-g3 receiver and it doesn’t have instructions and doesn’t seem to want to bind. The receiver came with the transmitter but didn’t have a binding cable. When I plug it in a power up the red light blinks and the servos don’t work. Any suggestions?

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

You'll need a paperclip or something similar, and poke the "bind" button on the receiver:

1693869455355.png

The "set" button on the transmitter is for setting the failsafe, which is what servo positions the receiver will default to if it loses signal - good idea to set it to brake, not just idle.

You'll need a paperclip or something similar, and poke the "bind" button on the receiver:

View attachment 170974

The "set" button on the transmitter is for setting the failsafe, which is what servo positions the receiver will default to if it loses signal - good idea to set it to brake, not just idle.
Thanks for replying. I put a paper clip in the hole and the light when from low speed blinking to high speed blinking. I held it in place for a minute which I heard once this was hold long it took bind and it is still blinking fast and not appeared to link? What else can I be missing?

Thanks for replying. I put a paper clip in the hole and the light when from low speed blinking to high speed blinking. I held it in place for a minute which I heard once this was hold long it took bind and it is still blinking fast and not appeared to link? What else can I be missing?
I think you just need to click it, once it's blinking fast it's ready to bind, and then you just turn the remote off/on again and it should connect and the receiver light will go solid.

View attachment 170974

I got it working. I turned off the transmitter and when I turned it back on it linked. Thanks again! Hope you had a good holiday!