Lion Batteries vs. AA Batteries?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gman18

RCTalk Racer
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
Hey Guys! My HSP Nitro Cars are set up with 6KG Servos running on 4 AA batteries. I have upgraded to Duracell rechargeable batteries and still want more. I want to step up to 25KG or higher steering Servo and assume you can’t run a high voltage servo well with AA batteries. Can I retain AA batteries for the transmitter and change to a 7.2 volt Lion battery 2pack in the car receiver? Can I mix match batteries like this? if so, do I need to change the throttle servo to higher voltage? I think a 2 cell Lion pac will fit in the battery boxes of my HSP cars. Will it improve voltage and amps over AA setup? I appreciate input from anyone who has experimented with Lion batteries to replace AA requirements and increased speed and torque at and above 7v with nitro application. Thanks to everyone who has responded in the past to my HSP questions.

Hey Guys! My HSP Nitro Cars are set up with 6KG Servos running on 4 AA batteries. I have upgraded to Duracell rechargeable batteries and still want more. I want to step up to 25KG or higher steering Servo and assume you can’t run a high voltage servo well with AA batteries. Can I retain AA batteries for the transmitter and change to a 7.2 volt Lion battery 2pack in the car receiver? Can I mix match batteries like this? if so, do I need to change the throttle servo to higher voltage? I think a 2 cell Lion pac will fit in the battery boxes of my HSP cars. Will it improve voltage and amps over AA setup? I appreciate input from anyone who has experimented with Lion batteries to replace AA requirements and increased speed and torque at and above 7v with nitro application. Thanks to everyone who has responded in the past to my HSP questions.

As you intuit, the next step in servo power is indeed a 2S lipo system. You'll need servos that can take that, labelled "HV"; non-HV hobby servos will burn out on 8.4V. Most receivers can already take the increased voltage and most have the acceptable voltage range printed directly on them, so you won't need to run separate servo and receiver batteries. You theoretically can, but there's really not much reason to.

You can split the difference with a 6V rechargeable pack, which has 5 nimh cells in series. "Normal" servos will run faster and with a bit more power on these.

Will a 6.7V 2200 mah LIPO battery run a higher voltage high speed steering servo in my nitro cars? I found one on Amazon for about $18 and it fits in the batteery box with room for the receiver. I’ll probably strap it in case of a fire.
Will a 6.7V 2200 mah LIPO battery run a higher voltage high speed steering servo in my nitro cars? I found one on Amazon for about $18 and it fits in the batteery box with room for the receiver. I’ll probably strap it in case of a fire.
What I mean by strap is leave off the screw-down lid and use a strap so the battery can be quickly removed if need be.

What I mean by strap is leave off the screw-down lid and use a strap so the battery can be quickly removed if need be.

For lipo you'll need HV servos, it'll fry the stock ones. I recommend a "hump pack", which has 5 nimh cells, so it drives the stock servos about 25% faster than 4xAA nimh's. On the plus side, it's even cheaper, and pretty unlikely to catch fire.

Back