carb restrictor?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m-man

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
i noticed in my ntc3, when i take off the air filter there is a white plastic peice in the throat of the carb, which funnels down to a very small hole, would i benifet from removing this peice, to the carb is totally open, or is it there for a reason, would there be any downside of doing this?

Yes it is there for a reason. It is generally known as a venturi because it creates the 'venturi effect'. It essentially speeds up the airflow as the air enters the engine. Usually when a carb has a removable venturi it is because it can be replaced with a venturi of a different size. I think that explanation is correct :shrug:

Actually a restrictor on a nitro engine acts the same as on a 1:1 engine. It reduces the size of the carb inlet to restrict the air. To get the tune right, you then have to reduce the amount of fuel going in. Ultimately it reduces the power in the engine. If you remove the restrictor, you'll have to retune (richen) the engine, but you'll have more power. But be warned, more power isn't always a good thing. Especially in a TC. You'll get straight line speed, but you'll also run the risk of overpowering the wheels while cornering and creating a very loose feel. And you'll use up a lot of fuel.

ok, well i ran my car today, with the restrictor left in as it has been and the car is running good, after reaserching many threads and such, i decided to take the restrictor out to see how the car is when i run it tommorrow,

so i took it out, and I'm having a terrible time tuning the car, it will idle, but when i accellerate it usually dies and makes un normal noises, and has no smoke from the pipe, so i figued it was lean, i richened it up but it is still the same, it is idleing very unpredictably, and is idleing very cold, the engine is only about 100 degrees,

i turned the car on it side and a ton of fuel came pouring out the exhaust pipe,

so i am confused because there is no smoke like its lean, but liquid fuel pouring out like its extreamly rich

any help here

ok, jumped the gun on that one, i got it under control now, just driving around in my garage, i can tell that the throttle reponse is way better without the restrictor,

The reason you were getting no smoke is you were not getting hot enough to really light stuff up real good. A lot of times I will not get good 'smoke" until I start getting up to temp. As candyman siad....sometimes more power is not always the answer.

I took the restrictor out right away. It has lots of power without it in and runs great once you retune it.

I might put it back in for drift style driving on hard drift tires as there is no way you could use all that power on that type of tire.

Back