What would you do?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bryson

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Ok so I'm 18 going on 19 in a few months. All my frigin life, everyone tells me save your money youll want to buy a nice truck one day. Well the day has come, and my parents are the biggest pain in the ass I have ever had. My dad has a 2500 hd GMC, 4 door crew cab, long bead, 4x4. It is pretty much mine when ever I need it, to school ect. I have been looking for a truck for some time now, and thought I found one. 1500 non 4x4, cheaper on the insurance. Well me and my parents have been going back and fouth for some time now on the subject. Today I wanted to go look at this truck, and have my dad come along because he has an eye to catch a fringin hair on the paint from a mile away. He's all you know I have pretty much given you my old truck, espically now that I have my new one coming, why do you want your own truck so bad. I told him, I want to be able to say its mine, I bought it with my hard earned(saved)money, and its just mine. I also want a lift kit on my truck. So I asked, ok now that your truck is mine, can I do some stuff to it. Lift it, stero, exhaust, ect. Hes all NO!, its still my truck. WTF! Then I was all ok if I am to keep your truck are you going to pay for the 4x4 insurance, which is close to 4200 a year, roughly 17$ a day, for me. Hes all no. So what the hell! I'm so freakin pissed its not funny. Then I was all ok if I keep your truck can I buy a little boat to fish and mess around with. Once again, NO! What am I to do, its a loose, loose situation. I'm fcuked either way I go. What would you guys do, just say up yours, and buy your own truck, and forget the mouth that feeds you needless to say. I dont know my rant is over.

Bryson

You really should stop using "He's all" instead of "He said". That is very hard to read.
Your dad is really trying to help you out. It sounds like he's trying to get you to hold on to the money you've saved. In return he's offering you free use of his old truck. However, since he still owns it he has all the right to refuse any custom work. If you can appreciate that your father is trying to help you out you should hold onto your money and allow him to allow you to use his old truck. If you are die hard about wanting something that is 100% yours then offer to buy his old truck. I'm talkin legit purchase.. title and all.

While I agree with making an offer to buy his truck, if the insurance is too much, its just not practical. You could just buy what you want, sooner or later it will all blow over. Or you could just keep going as you have been, saving your money for later down the road. If you have transportation available, use it. Someday your dad may want to sell that truck and you will be in the position of getting what you want with your cash. Just out of curriosity, putting a lift on a 2WD???

Ya I have thought of that, buying it off him that is. But its just the insurance. I was ready to buy a Z71 silverado with a 6 inch lift on it, till i found out about the insurance. Oh and ya, I want to lift a 2 wheel drive. As long as its got a limited slip, I dont care. Id love to lower a truck, but once again, parents dont aprove. Idk. I guess as stated before, transportation is what it is.

Bryson

Like Lessen said, your dad is just trying to help you out. If you are in school, that's enough of an expense, add buying a truck on top of that...well, you get the picture. Save your money for now, you got time on your side.

Well I feel better now. We talked it out. He is going to let me put an exhust on it, but he didnt want me puting a lift on a truck with 60 thousand in the drivetrain already, its reasonable i guess. The exhust we already have though, he put one on when we got are trailer, thinking it would give more towing power, it didnt, just made the cab really loud going up big hills, but beings he now has a F-350 that makes like 450 foot pound of tourque, no need for the gas motor to pull. lol. Still wish I could put a stero in it though, such a big truck begs for a system, 2, 12inch subs under the back seats would be sick, espically beings I got a connect threw one of my classes I'm taking. Well guys thanks for the support.

Bryson

Thats cool, You sound very rich right now. lol. i can't wait till i can drive.

Just going to share a couple of thoughts

1) I wish someone would let me use their truck so I wouldn't have to pay a note!

2) The fact that your 18 and still do want your parents want means you still live with them, here are the words I was told when I turned 18....

"If you don't like it move out, when you pay for everything in your life you can do as you please"

Trust me I have heard those words before, just leave. So today, were driving home from lunch, and my mom go's lets stop by the hyundai dealer. She has been wanting a new car since my dad got his new truck. So she was looking, and shes all I want that one. I'm like what the hell. She said me and your dad have to match colors. She did that last time he got his GMC too, he got white, so she got white. I guess thats what they had up the sleve. What ever, I got a nice truck, for now, just is a pain because parking sucks with a long bead at school.

Bryson

Honestly... be happy you even got a car. So many kids still have no transportation other than public transportation. I had cars that were literally beat to hell but I was greatful I had a car to drive.

Have patience Bryson. Parents are trying to keep you headstrong and grounded for life's opportunities. As you get older and more mature more parents understand more.

Look at it like this Bryson, you have what sounds like a pretty nice truck to drive. I started out with a 76 Ford Pinto hatchback, painted red, white, and blue with a matching interior. The floor was rusted out, and if it stopped smoking it meant it was out of oil. Man, I miss the good old days.

if it stopped smoking it meant it was out of oil. Man, I miss the good old days.

Man, that's funny. But it's totally true. We've all been through that, and when you finally can step up to something classy and know that it's ALL yours, you really know how to appreciate it.

My first was a 73 Duster. Had been ragged to death. When it blew up, Dad gave me a 72 Ford LTD. Trunk was rusted out. 4 doors. It would absolutely burn the tires off. But with the holes in the trunk, all that smoke came up inside of the car. When ya cut it off it would keep running.
I worked at a department store at the time. It actually ran long enough once that they paged me and told me it was on fire. Those were the good 'ol days. :LoL:

Go with Dad on this.
"You live under my roof, you live by my rules!" We have all heard it.
You're getting your exhaust (sp?). Soon you'll be putting a stereo in it. It may be just a little time.
He is getting a new truck. Give it time. He'll come around.

Back