What To Watch For When Buying a Used 5B?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If that thing looks that good in person, GRAB IT! If those are the original tires then he hasn't been hard on it at all. Mine lasted 3 tanks before they were showing definite signs of wear. 1 more tank and I headed over to DDM to get a new set. The fronts are alright still but will get replaced soon too.

if you don't mind let me know what you pick this up for. i'll prob. also pick up a used one, and thanks for the advice on what to look for on a used rig eddy.

You got me all giddy.:) Congrats brother. I'm taking the same plunge, or leap forward, as soon as funds allow. Gas is a long ways away from being as expensive as nitro.:)

Thanks Matt, I have a feeling what little nitro stuff I have left will be popping up in the for sale section soon. That's the big push for me as well. Nitro fuel is $50 a gallon here, even if I order it. I'm guessing I can run this thing all day long for about $10.

If that thing looks that good in person, GRAB IT! If those are the original tires then he hasn't been hard on it at all. Mine lasted 3 tanks before they were showing definite signs of wear. 1 more tank and I headed over to DDM to get a new set. The fronts are alright still but will get replaced soon too.

Yeah, provided it runs and functions okay, it's a done deal, I talked to him again last night. Those are the original tires according to the current owner. Thanks for the advice and the info on the tire life too. Are the stock tires just really soft or something, that seems very early to me. Then again, I've read about runtimes of roughly one hour to a tank too, so maybe I'm still thinking in nitro terms where you get like ten minutes of runtime.

if you don't mind let me know what you pick this up for. i'll prob. also pick up a used one, and thanks for the advice on what to look for on a used rig eddy.

I won't give a dollar amount, but I got it for less than half of what he has wrapped up in it, and he has receipts for everything. He seems like a really good guy after talking to him a few times, and he's driving and meeting me halfway (he's four hours away in Greensboro) so that was good enough for me.

HPIguy...that baja looks in good shape. very little signs of use on the chassis or rear skid plate. as for the tires being soft, yes they are. most people get between 3-6 tanks of street running before they are shot. i know that sounds like a 'little', but a tank lasts 45 minutes so its a decent wear cycle. most baja owners usually buy new hostile tires once the stocks a shot. good luck with it.

I imagine the stock tires would last a lot longer on softer dirt/grass. I'm in the desert right now running on dirt, sand and rock mix.

HPIguy...that baja looks in good shape. very little signs of use on the chassis or rear skid plate. as for the tires being soft, yes they are. most people get between 3-6 tanks of street running before they are shot. i know that sounds like a 'little', but a tank lasts 45 minutes so its a decent wear cycle. most baja owners usually buy new hostile tires once the stocks a shot. good luck with it.

I imagine the stock tires would last a lot longer on softer dirt/grass. I'm in the desert right now running on dirt, sand and rock mix.

Awesome, that's good to know. I'll will be running in soft loamy dirt, and grass until I get some street tires. I noticed while doing some research that the wheels are a true bead-loc setup, that's awesome, no more throwing away wheels when the tires are toast. Thanks guys!!

PS: Only 42 more hours of waiting to go now :hehe:

Well, it's mine, picked it up at noon today. I've wanted one for so long now. Drive six hours round trip to get it, worth every second of it once I got home and got to drive it.

Two things I never truly realized without having seen one in person;

1. This thing is HUGE! Pics just don't portray how big they are. I tied it down in the back of the truck like a dirt bike. :D

2. Carrying a wounded fifth scale back to the truck sucks, see above for why. (nothing major, exhaust just popped loose from the header. It's now safety wired)

All I can say after running it is I'm in love, I think it's the ultimate off road RC if you have the room to run it. Thanks again for all the advice, it was invaluable in helping me look it over.

Only pic I got, while fixing the exhaust

TIRGa.jpg

1. This thing is HUGE! Pics just don't portray how big they are. I tied it down in the back of the truck like a dirt bike. :D

+2 on that! I knew the size in the store, but it was like when I bought my first big screen... seemed big'ish in the store, but after getting it home, just downright mammoth!

I can say though, even if you don't think you have room, this thing has got legs, so you can have fun in a relatively open park. Usually I'm afraid to run a nitro at full tilt very long, but these things just seem to cruise very easily at speed. Eats up a ton of real estate fast!

Just plan in rethinking your workspace though. Mine is about 6 inches shy of covering my entire workbench. That wasn't something I had thought of... Also, fitting it my HPI savage bag... yeah, not even a close fit. lol

Big CONGRATZ on the new whip! I'm glad the deal went through with no problems. I took up our entire kitchen while I built mine. Did you get a body with it?

I got some video I'm going through now also

+2 on that! I knew the size in the store, but it was like when I bought my first big screen... seemed big'ish in the store, but after getting it home, just downright mammoth!

I can say though, even if you don't think you have room, this thing has got legs, so you can have fun in a relatively open park. Usually I'm afraid to run a nitro at full tilt very long, but these things just seem to cruise very easily at speed. Eats up a ton of real estate fast!

Just plan in rethinking your workspace though. Mine is about 6 inches shy of covering my entire workbench. That wasn't something I had thought of... Also, fitting it my HPI savage bag... yeah, not even a close fit. lol

You know I noticed that Olds. I know my pede is faster, given the right surface, etc. but the Baja is so heavy, and stable, that it's much more planted so I can stay in the throttle with it, and it covers ground FAST for sure. The handling / jumping is amazing too.

I remember reading your thread about workspace / bag issues. I hadn't thought of that either. Even the coffee table won't cut it more than likely.

Big CONGRATZ on the new whip! I'm glad the deal went through with no problems. I took up our entire kitchen while I built mine. Did you get a body with it?

Thanks Charlie. I have to say firing up a fifth scale for the first time was awesome, and I'm hooked; the sound, the smell
rockwoot.gif
I did get a body, it isn't painted yet. It has some scuffing on it where it's been in the box with other stuff rubbing against it, so I'll probably just do flat black or something like that.

I was just curious. I've yet to take mine out of the bag. I almost stopped and got some paint today but I decided to just finish up my stand and maybe I'll get around to painting this week. I got bit with the upgrade bug already and money is tight so I'm tryin not to beat her up till next weekend.

Back