What To Watch For When Buying a Used 5B?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HPIguy

Durability Tester
Staff member
Supporter
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Okay guys, I need input from 5B owners. I can't take it anymore, I'm actively on the hunt on CL, and the bay for a used 5B. I'd love to just order a brand new 5B SS kit, and I have the funds, but you can find them super cheap used and I'd rather not turn loose of that kind of coin right now. Is there a huge reason to not buy used other than the usual caveats that are the same with nitro cars? And anything and everything I should ask about, or look for if I find a local car I can actually see personally? Thanks guys.

I agree that you should just get an SS kit.

At least that way you are guaranteed to get a genuine HPI Baja and not a clone.

HPIGuy,

Use coupon code LSF on either DavesMotors.com or LargeScaleRC.com - the code will as Eddy said, save you 5% off your order.

Also LargeScaleRC.com offers upgrade options when buying new - it's a good way to save a few extra coin if you know you're going to be upgrading your stock engine right away (not saying you would need too, just saying).

There are 2 reasons to buy new.
1 its not much cheaper buying used and might be a gamble
2 it really helps to understand the car and how everything works by building it yourself.

Having bought a used 5B from another member here, I got lucky. I would, however, check to see that the engine starts, the electronics work and that the clutch/diff works and deduct money accordingly.

Thanks for all the advice guys. After digging through tons of CL and ebay ads, and eliminating anything I couldn't go look at and see run, I found one car that's semi local I'm going to go look at. It's a legitimate HPI 5B SS, with a Spektrum radio setup. He still has the box, owners manuals, and all the extras that came with it. Ne never even painted the body for it, and it supposedly has two tanks of fuel through it. If it doesn't work out, after all the time I've spent looking for a clean, unmolested used one, I'll just wait and order new. And if it turns out to be a turd, I'll be the first to admit I was warned. I'm so pumped, I've wanted one since launch. I'll post up some pics if I get it.

there are 5b's all over craigslist here for 450-550. that's half the price of new.

according to this all parts from a hpi 5b are interchangable.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Rovan-1-5-Scale...pt=Radio_Control_Vehicles&hash=item4cf4bf42c6

I wouldn't buy a clone, although some of the newer ones have tempted me too. I actually posted a thread about it, and the advice I got here was what I figured, buy the real deal. Besides, look at my username.........I can't be changing that to Rovanguy. :hehe:

Last edited:
Look at the bottom of the chassis. If its all scratched up beware. The chassis is a tell tail sign of use.

If the aluminum is PURPLE RUN!!! its a gen1 that has MANY weak parts and you want nothing to do with it. If its orange cool, if its gray or black even better.

Thanks for all the advice guys. After digging through tons of CL and ebay ads, and eliminating anything I couldn't go look at and see run, I found one car that's semi local I'm going to go look at. It's a legitimate HPI 5B SS, with a Spektrum radio setup. He still has the box, owners manuals, and all the extras that came with it. Ne never even painted the body for it, and it supposedly has two tanks of fuel through it. If it doesn't work out, after all the time I've spent looking for a clean, unmolested used one, I'll just wait and order new. And if it turns out to be a turd, I'll be the first to admit I was warned. I'm so pumped, I've wanted one since launch. I'll post up some pics if I get it.

I wouldn't buy a clone, although some of the newer ones have tempted me too. I actually posted a thread about it, and the advice I got here was what I figured, buy the real deal. Besides, look at my username.........I can't be changing that to Rovanguy. :hehe:

i haven't really seen any advice from anyone whose actually owned one. all the comments i see are from here say.

I haven't ever known anyone who has jumped off of a cliff either. I'm still not going to try it.

Look at the bottom of the chassis. If its all scratched up beware. The chassis is a tell tail sign of use.

If the aluminum is PURPLE RUN!!! its a gen1 that has MANY weak parts and you want nothing to do with it. If its orange cool, if its gray or black even better.

That's a great tip Eddy, and a simple common sense thing that I may have overlooked just from being excited to get a large scale rig. It's the orange, I've seen plenty of pics of the car. If it's as clean as the pictures show (and I specified this on the phone with him) then it truly has been used very little and I will buy it provided it starts right up and everything works as it should. If not, I will simply get back in the truck and come home unless he wants to let it go super cheap. I signed up over at the large scale forums today so I could dig around for things to look out for as well. Thanks again, I'll keep you guys posted.

I'm super excited for you man! I've been bashing the heck out of mine and so far only gone through a servo horn and my first set of rear tires. Oh and some gas and 2 cycle. If I don't slow down though that list may include a beautiful redhead.lol

I'm super excited for you man! I've been bashing the heck out of mine and so far only gone through a servo horn and my first set of rear tires. Oh and some gas and 2 cycle. If I don't slow down though that list may include a beautiful redhead.lol

Thanks Charlie, I appreciate it buddy. I've never been this excited about an RC purchase, ever. When I said I've wanted one since release, I truly have, but I'm just now at an age where I can do it financially. Hopefully this guy is on the up and up, and he seems that way from talking to him (older, married with kids). You've already went through a set of tires :whhooo: those things are NOT cheap for 1/5 scale rigs.

Here's a shot of the bottom of the chassis. Doesn't look bad to me, what do you guys think?

f4qJE.jpg

Thanks for the confirmation guys, I thought so, but 1/5 scale is all new to me. Man, Sunday can't get here fast enough. I really should have taken Monday off come to think of it. :D

You got me all giddy.:) Congrats brother. I'm taking the same plunge, or leap forward, as soon as funds allow. Gas is a long ways away from being as expensive as nitro.:)

Back