What engine should I chose??

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gt_89

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hi fellas,

New to the forum, and hoping someone will be able to shine some light on my question. I've got a Rex-x which was running on a Force .25 engine, but recently burst a hole straight through the engine casing, so the rc is going nowhere just now!

I was looking at purchasing a Force .28, obviously slightly bigger again and more power than the Force .25! I don't compete, I just like to bash it about.
Although, I'm also thinking of getting a Thunder Tiger PRO 21 BX-R Nitro Engine. A smaller engine, but have read that they can be just as fast, possibly faster than .25s , depending on how they are tuned!

When the rc was running on the force .25, it was fast, but I'm looking to go faster, so would i be better going for a bigger size (like the force.28) or going lower (like a .21) and then possibly slotting in a 2 speed gear conversion??

Cheers in advance,

gt_89

Cheers guys. Just messaged the guy about the OS .30 so will see what he says.

So is that the rule of thumb then, the bigger the number, the faster the engine?

No not always. The larger the # the more displacement or cc's the engine has. Depending on the mfr I have seen vids of some .12's put just as much power to the ground as .28's. I would imagine they probably wouldnt last nearly as long but the larger # doesn't = more speed. Your gearing of the spurgear and clutchbell have a big factor in that as well. Finding that perfect sweetness is 1/2 the fun for some of us!!

Really interesting info to know, cheers!

I want my rc back on the road real soon, but just can't justify spending the best part of £90 on a new engine, that could quite possibly end up like my Force .25!

I've found an Ansmann .21 engine on ebay for a pretty good price! No Carb, one way bearing, or pull start, but can swap these over from my old engine.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-ANSMA...sGames_RadioControlled_JN&hash=item5d32617459

I've looked at some vids of the Ansmann Virus 2.0 which I think runs this engine, and looks pretty nippy! The Rex-x is virtually the same body and set up as the Virus.

Thoughts??

Back