Hello I'm new here but not to RC

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JW1979

RC Newbie
Reaction score
I had a little bit of an awaking today. I already own five RC trucks and a couple of quadcopter. I have one nitro and everything else is electric. I am putting a new motor in the nitro (as usual) . Not a new motor per se but I understand the people asking me when I bought my first nitro why I wanted it. It is my first and will be my last I love the electric stuff. The Awakening I'm talking about is I thought I had some pretty fast vehicles but today I got a Arma typhoon 3s. After reading some reviews and things online I thought about just taking the thing back and adding the money for the six. I'm glad I didn't I went ahead and decided to give it a run at 25%. I then switched to 75 and I was pretty impressed but at 100%... This thing is uncontrollable. I was thinking about swapping the pinion gear but honestly much respect to you people that can run a car any faster than this. I've played around with RC stuff for the last 10 years but to me this is as fast as you need to go. Now I have a piece of property four acres so I have plenty of open space to run it but other than on asphalt in a straight line I don't know how you could really use everything this has to offer. 😂 Maybe I'll be made fun of but fast is fast and it's hard to deny that. I think everybody getting into the hobby wants something to go 50 or 70 miles an hour but they really have no clue what that means. Anyway it's nice to be here and I would love to hear any thoughts or comments.

Welcome in @JW1979 , my initials are actually JW also.
Interesting intro and we certainly appreciate you joining us.
I never was into the super fast rigs either but where I run, slower speeds are more appropriate.
I have a Xmaxx, Erevo, Stampede 4x4 and 2wd plus several more. I also have 1/24s and 1/10 crawlers.
My Typhon that I've modded to run 4s but I keep it at 2s which is plenty fast and rarely do I take it out.
I'm more of a monster truck kind of guy. I love running at the sand dunes but it definitely requires lots of cleaning and maintenance.
Kick back and read through the threads. You may find some stuff you are really interested in.

Thanks for your response I really want a x-max only because I've never had a fifth scale and I think it would be fun and my young nieces would really like it. I have enough property to run it around and play on it and maybe pull them in a wagon real slowly because they're very young and they would get a kick out of that. I've also grown interest in some of the rock crawlers I think that would be cool if they had some creeks and things around me just to slowly crawl around and pretend like you're in a real four wheel drive. I've been off roading all my life in real trucks and I've had my share of getting stuff and being winched out or winching people out or snatching people out so it would be cool to do it without all the monumental damage so to speak LOL again thank you for your response I appreciate it

Welcome.

My one and only Nitro RC was the original 2.5 Traxxas T-Maxx. It was an awesome truck in it's day, but now I'm all electric.

One thing on Arrma 3S brushless RCs... most don't come with a gyro-equipped receiver, and when the speeds get up there, they do make a huge difference in control. The Vendetta I got (as my one and only speed-racer) is one of the few that does come with one.

Like tunedpipe, I'm mostly a monster truck basher, and even they can be a handful. My Tekno MT410, E-Maxx and Summit all have 6S capable systems, but they only ever see 4S, while my Hoss and Associated MT10 run on 3s.

I had a little bit of an awaking today. I already own five RC trucks and a couple of quadcopter. I have one nitro and everything else is electric. I am putting a new motor in the nitro (as usual) . Not a new motor per se but I understand the people asking me when I bought my first nitro why I wanted it. It is my first and will be my last I love the electric stuff. The Awakening I'm talking about is I thought I had some pretty fast vehicles but today I got a Arma typhoon 3s. After reading some reviews and things online I thought about just taking the thing back and adding the money for the six. I'm glad I didn't I went ahead and decided to give it a run at 25%. I then switched to 75 and I was pretty impressed but at 100%... This thing is uncontrollable. I was thinking about swapping the pinion gear but honestly much respect to you people that can run a car any faster than this. I've played around with RC stuff for the last 10 years but to me this is as fast as you need to go. Now I have a piece of property four acres so I have plenty of open space to run it but other than on asphalt in a straight line I don't know how you could really use everything this has to offer. 😂 Maybe I'll be made fun of but fast is fast and it's hard to deny that. I think everybody getting into the hobby wants something to go 50 or 70 miles an hour but they really have no clue what that means. Anyway it's nice to be here and I would love to hear any thoughts or comments.
Welcome.

I understand about the speed thing. I have a Team Associated Pro4 SC10 brushless. Running it on 3S with Pro-line Street fighter tires on asphalt I've hit 54mph. It's absolutely terrifying at full speed, and running it full throttle eats batteries like no tomorrow, which why I only have one 3S battery and two 3S. It also overheard quickly on 3S, I'm fixing to get a heatsink for it. The street tires definitely help with controllability, but still. Now it doesn't have a gyro, but honestly I don't feel I need it, especially on 2S. Now if I'm able to find a place with a big area of gravel or dirt it might make a difference. Honestly I mostly drive it around my back yard using makeshift jumps.

I'm on 2/3 acre and it's plenty fun on 2S. I'm pretty new to RC, only a few months in. I also have two 1/16 cars from UDI. One is mine (Lancia Delta HF Integralé) the other my 6 year old nephews Porsché). I'm glad I got the brushed version, as on full power (the radio has three power settings) it easily overpowers the stock tires, being very difficult to control to the point I lost control of mine and launched it in the culvert in my front yard and had to replace the all-in-one receiver/ESC and the steering servo. I can't imagine how difficult the brushless version must be. Currently there are no aftermarket tires available, just stock replacement. Really fun little cars, though my Lancia has range issues, which I'm certain have to do with the radio, as the issue was with both the original and replacement receiver. My nephews has twice the range.

Welcome to the forum JW. Sounds like you are off to a good beginning in this hobby.

Another great thing about RC compared to full size. You don't have to grab a creeper and a nothing-but-trouble light to work the underside. Just flip the RC over. Have fun. Cheers. 'AC'

I feel it, I turned my Vendetta into a monster and now I can't find a proper road to get over 50% throttle 🤣

Messing around out front yesterday, slamming the throttle at 30+ does a straight line burnout, left some good marks in the street.

Too much? Absolutely, and more please lol

Thanks for your response I really want a x-max only because I've never had a fifth scale and I think it would be fun and my young nieces would really like it. I have enough property to run it around and play on it and maybe pull them in a wagon real slowly because they're very young and they would get a kick out of that. I've also grown interest in some of the rock crawlers I think that would be cool if they had some creeks and things around me just to slowly crawl around and pretend like you're in a real four wheel drive. I've been off roading all my life in real trucks and I've had my share of getting stuff and being winched out or winching people out or snatching people out so it would be cool to do it without all the monumental damage so to speak LOL again thank you for your response I appreciate it
The Xmaxx is considered a 1/6 scale but you wouldn't think so because it is huge.
For a faster crawler, you might consider a rock racer but they aren't very stable when it comes to out right speed.
At least that's the experience I had with them. I didn't care for them at all.
I had the Axial Bomber, fully modified with Tekin electronics.

I would stay 1/10 scale for a crawler. I have quite a few of them not store bought though. Just my advice learn your geometry 📐 and suspension my opinion is triangle 4 link with real good coil overs and suck down winch is good on verticals going up or down.

This is a great conversation and I appreciate it. My ultimate goal is a X maxx. I just got my slash nitro up and running really well but it doesn't hold a candle to the typhoon as far as fun and speed. I'm pretty sure I'm going to sell it. I think I'm going to take it to the local hobby shop and just let them sell on consignment after I get it cleaned up very well.

If the speed demon gets you, everything feels slow, just because you know it could go faster 🤣

I also want an xmaxx 8s one day, they look like tons of fun. Would be fun just to explode some cheap tires on it 🤣

I just switched the axles in my scx10 crawler and it made it slot slower with the portal axles. I understand its good for the crawler aspect but I really miss the speed I had.

Welcome.

I think you're way ahead of the curve, if you can max out your enjoyment with a 3S R/C.

Welcome to RCT. I think anything over 50 mph on anything 1/10 and under is just nuts. Mainly because they are so light. Heavier rigs are more stable at high speeds because they stick to the ground better, and don't get flung into the air by every little bump in the terrain. The 1/8 Kraton we have does around 70 mph, and that just feels right for that rig because it is bigger and really heavy. The more you drive your rigs at speed, the more you will get a feel for the handling and how they corner. Just takes practice.8

Last edited:
1979 hmm 🤔 that’s when I was born actually this month to be exact. 112979 👍

Hey Kevin, color me nuts and I fully agree with you. My SpeedSpec Rustler is sitting at 51mph on 2s and that's fast enough for me. Like to make the 60mph (100kph) Club with it but will have to screw up my courage for that. Standing at halfway point on my runs, can hear the front tires skipping on the pavement as it accelerates by. And its weighted heavy on the front end.

Regarding using a heavier chassis, and for you JW 1979, Kevin makes a good point here. Just completing a Senton 2WD build in my shop. It's sold as a 1/10 but really doing a size comparison its closer to 1/8. Or at least 1/9 and is a much heavier chassis. This one I'll put 3s in and get reach that 60mph personal goal.

And JW 1979, you are correct in your assessment of speeds above 50mph in RC. Everything has to be spot on to run that speed and higher. 2s and 3s power still offer both challenge and enjoyment-at least for me. Good luck. Looking forward to your future posts on how you progress with RC Surface. Cheers. 'AC'

Back