Upgrades for a Blade Cp Pro

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zachary

Gone - bye bye.
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
After I totaled my Cp in a crash I've set it on the shelf and was going to sell it at first but i decided not to, instead I'm going to fix it up. I need to know what i need to put into it to make it fly really good. I also need stuff that isn't too expensive. What upgrades can I do to the tail and head without spending a lot of money on it. Thanks, Zachary

You could upgrade the electronics on it to run a heading-hold gyro. There is also a kit out there to convert it to a belt-driven tail, but the company that sells it wants $200.

the belt driven tail + a heading hold gyro and brushless..... That would be the ultimate micro-heli.

Unfortunately, as HB said, mass upgrades can be pricey for the Blade. If you scan Ebay, you can find all alloy heads which strengthen some of the weak links, but add weight, so be careful. A HH gyro will help a lot. But if you want to convert it to a belt tail, you're almost better off abusing the Blade and then stepping into a slightly bigger heli that already has belt tail, etc.
I have an E-sky Belt CP which is just a touch smaller than a T-rex. You can buy it in all sorts of different forms from just a bare-bones for around $80, to ARF w/o radio (which includes all the electronics except the transmitter and reciever) for about $170, or a full-blown RTF for somewhere around $260. HeliDirect has decent prices on all of them. Just a thought...

http://www.helidirect.com/

Very nice link, Candyman. I like the looks of that BeltCP.

Yeah, you should see it after it plows into the ground at full throttle....

It's a stable bird so far. Being my first real heli it was a pain to setup, but I think I got it. Just haven't had time to shake it down enough. It has decent mail-order parts support and a good sized help thread at RCG to keep info fresh. I think it's a good step-up from the micro's.

It does look good. I'm thinkin my next step up is going to be a .30 sized nitro heli. Goodbye wallet!

what about a honeybee king2?

My recommendation on upgrades to the Blade CP Pro would be to get yourself into a position where you can fly it well...and then decide whether to move on to a better heli or upgrade the one you have. Even with upgraded parts a solid plant and all the shiney parts in the world are not going to prevent the heli from damaging itself...in fact many of those upgraded parts might suffer more damage or cause more damage...and in the end...end up costing you more money.

I have been through three tail motors, more sets of wooden main rotors than I can count (at least six sets), two tail rotors, one tail rotor gear, several link pins, at least four sets of landing gear, and now one shell...and miscellaneous links that went flying off into never land on some of my more spectacular crashes.

I have since taken some serious time to sit down and tweak everything that can be tweaked to ensure that the rotors are travelling in line and are balanced. I have gotten the bird to the point where I can hover it without very much input to keep it in one place...thanks to taking the time to trim it out nicely.

The quotes that I dropped in your other thread were a gold mine of information that have helped me minimize my crashes and improve my chances of surviving said crashes with minimal damage.

This evening, after replacing another tail motor (definitely looking into the belt drive or dual tail motor set up) I went out and flew my heli by garage door light to see if it was well...and the complete lack of wind and the set up of the heli, made it a sheer pleasure to simply sit there and keep the thing in a hover within a two foot square and then to fly it around in box patterns...

At any rate, before dumping serious coin on a bigger more expensive rig...or a different smaller rig, learn to set it up and fly it...I think you will find it more enjoyable if you do. And trust me...you will still auger in and need to spend coin on repairs...nature of the beast...flying machines sometimes crash and do so spectacularly. :D

thanks that is a load of info and i greatly appreciate the info. i think though I'm going to just buy another one cause i need about 150 in parts just to make it stock again.

I have done 4 big upgrades.

1st) Microheli Vertical Tail Fin, I was sick and tired of that little rod always breaking, Plus the heli looks better with it, and is much stronger. Here

2nd) Microheli Twin Tail Motor Mount, The little tail motors just dont last long, but using 2 tail motors takes the load of 1 and splits it. The tail motors last a lot longer. Here

3rd) Thunder Power 1320 mAh Lipo, To help offset the twin tail motors weight and get longer flight times I got a bigger battery. Here

4th) Eflite G90 Head Locking Gyro, The little CP Pro is a fast little twitchy heli and the little gyro makes a night and day difference in the CP Pro. Plus it is a simple plug-in with no modifications. Here

I have found that these 4 things which come to about $175 make flying my CP Pro very nice to fly and an enjoyable time. Since I have done these mods I have not crashed in about 8 battery packs (I used to crash every time I flew).

Last edited:
I need to know what i need to put into it to make it fly really good. I also need stuff that isn't too expensive.

Tarant hit on the head with two items - twin tail motors and good 1200-1300 mah 3S pack. These are the two most important things you can get on board to make it easier to fly.

The twin tails will give you more tail authority and make it far easier to trim it out for smooth hovering and flight. Weight is not a problem, shift the pack forward about 1/4" from normal.

I recommend against the aluminum head for three reasons:
1. You now have a $75 - $150 piece of jewelry sitting atop your heli, which makes it even more worrisome.
2. It simply does not fly any better than the plastic parts. If you need a bell hiller, go with the stock plastic set (stock on a BCPP) - although a BH will make it more reactive (for a beginner, read that "twitchy" and harder to control.)
3. It will still break in a crash, and be far more expensive to fix.

I had one and sold it before something bad happened to it.

The other thing that is important beyond reason - besides practice and skill - is proper setup of the heli. Go through about three or 4 packs getting into a 4' hover, then try letting go of the controls. It should hover for a second or two before drifting off. If you're always fighting a bad drift or yaw in any direction, it's going to make it hella hard to learn. Get it set up to where it will hover for at least 1 second without drifting off. This includes all the swashplate adjustments required, adjusting the 4-in-1 pot so you get almost no yaw and no tail wag, and properly setting the pitch.

To properly set pitch:
1. Unplug motors from the 4-in-1.
2. Tun on the TX, arm the heli.
3. Set throttle to 50% position with trim all the way down.
4. Pull the IDLE UP switch toward you, setting the heli in idle up mode.
5. Put the pitch gauge on the heli, set to 0 degrees, if you have one. If not, your goal is to set the blades so they are level to the flybar. Adjust the ball links until both blades are level with the flybar, or the top of the heli gauge is level with the flybar. You want 0 degrees of pitch at 50% throttle in idle up mode..
6. Test it by moving the throttle: full down should give you approximately 10 degrees of negative pitch, full up will give you 10 degrees of positive pitch. When you flick off the idle up switch, you should get about 12 degrees of positive pitch in full throttle, 3-5 at throttle off. If you're getting too much pitch one way or another in idle up mode, you need to adjust the height of the swashplate by adjusting all three ball links evenly.
7. Turn off the idle up switch, shut everything down, reconnect the motors.

The last thing - if you're rebuilding, apply the fuse mod. What you want is a 7 amp automotive fuse on the main motor, and a 3 amp fuse on one of the wires to the tail motor. If either motor binds up, the fuse will blow and not the 4-in-1. This will only help you fly in that you will have one less thing to worry about if you get in trouble.

Last edited:
If your getting another hilo do you want to sell what you have? Ifso how much? I have one I need parts for. Thanks!

Rickf56, this thread was made in 2007. I doubt that it is still sat on his shelf in pieces.

You know I didn't even look at the date.I must have drain bramadge.

Back