Tmaxx won't start

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Purcilas

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hi Guys,

I'm new to the forum and new to the rc car hobby. I've had planes for a while and fly up to 100CC Planes (Hangar 9 Beast) but I have NEVER had so many problems starting an engine.

I bought a used TRX 2.5 and I was able to start/run it 3 times using the EZ Start and after that it will not start at all no matter what I do.

I have taken the engine apart, cleaned the carb, restored needles to factory settings, flushed WD-40 down the carb line to "clean it out" completely, and tried several new plugs. Still won't start.

So I decided to go ahead and get a new engine. I got a used TRX 3.3 without carb and with a pull start. I used the same carb as the TRX 2.5 and tried running it with the ez start, it will not start. I took off the EZ Start and put the pull start in place, it will not start.

I tested the glow plugs and they all light up when I use the glow igniter or EZ Start.

What could I be doing wrong!? Both engines have compression too! This is driving me nuts as I had a lot of fun the three times I was able to run the Tmaxx.

HEEELP!!

sounds like you have a carby problem,check for cracks and maybe get yourself an o-ring kit for it,redo the orings and seal the carb to the block with some copper rtv silicon

Where do i get an o ring kit?

Ebay is your friend I can't remember the part number but I had a similar prob with a 3.3 that I rebuilt that you are having and I'm sure it was like about 5-6 bucks
You could also try your lhs or amain or tower

---------- Post added at 9:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 9:23 AM ----------

Part number 5247 I just checked ebay

Ok guys so I found the engine was missing a gasket (Part 5292) and I bought it and put it. The engine now doesn't hydro lock as easy as it did before but it still doesn't start!

I made a video so you can see what I am talking about.

I already switched glow plugs, checked the clutch, took the engine apart and cleaned it. I did not take out bearings etc as those are not easy to take out obviously.

What could be my problem? I am thinking now the one way bearing but I checked it and it seems fine to me!

I have another tmaxx 3.3 which I can start very easily!

Video: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSOeSVA8aEM"]Trx 3.3 wont start - YouTube[/ame]

PLEASE HELP!

---------- Post added at 6:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 6:22 PM ----------

Oh and I got a brand new carb too btw. At this point might as well buy a new engine.

Pull out the hsn and try to prime the engine if fuel is coming out put the hsn back in and set it to factory specs if still got nothing keep leaning out the hsn 1/16 turn at a time till it fires
Sounds to me like its a bit rich and it can't burn all the fuel
What plug are you running maybe try a hotter plug??

its a merlin medium plug. will try another plug and see.

Ok the damn plug was bad. Switched to another plug (i am pretty sure I did this before) and now it ran! I am very happy! Now I will test it tomorrow to see how much faster it is with the 3.3 :D