Revo 3.3 not starting

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ccater1026

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hey guys I bought a revo 3.3 a few months ago. Out of the box it ran great. I was able to do the break in with little to no problems. Sometime after that though it quit running right then finally stopped starting all together. I've replaced the carb, glow plug filter, fuel and some more. I noticed that the carb was not pulling fuel from what looks like a tank pressure issue so I got a new tank to test the theory and now it still doesn't really want to start and now I notice that when I'm trying to start it I can see fuel coming up from the glow plug. Can anyone give me a suggestion on what to do next

Hey guys I bought a revo 3.3 a few months ago. Out of the box it ran great. I was able to do the break in with little to no problems. Sometime after that though it quit running right then finally stopped starting all together. I've replaced the carb, glow plug filter, fuel and some more. I noticed that the carb was not pulling fuel from what looks like a tank pressure issue so I got a new tank to test the theory and now it still doesn't really want to start and now I notice that when I'm trying to start it I can see fuel coming up from the glow plug. Can anyone give me a suggestion on what to do next
Is it the stock 3.3 engine and what make & model of glow plug are you using? Have you tested the glow plug to make sure its firing and not fouled? Do you have a copper washer under the plug?

Is it the stock 3.3 engine and what make & model of glow plug are you using? Have you tested the glow plug to make sure its firing and not fouled? Do you have a copper washer under the plug?
It is the traxxas 3.3 I realized that it didn't have the washer I'm trying to find one in in the garage now it anyways seems like when you don't it there's a million laying around but as soon as you need one there is none

You should of not had to buy all that extra stuff ,usually the break-in will foul the plug ,but
after the break-in ,a new plug an the engine tuned to a leaner mixter should of done the trick!

If you have not tuned the carb to a leaner mixter ,than chances are that you are over flooding
the engine an further putting stress on it ,especially if you are using Traxxas fuel!

You should of not had to buy all that extra stuff ,usually the break-in will foul the plug ,but
after the break-in ,a new plug an the engine tuned to a leaner mixter should of done the trick!

If you have not tuned the carb to a leaner mixter ,than chances are that you are over flooding
the engine an further putting stress on it ,especially if you are using Traxxas fuel!
OK thanks I'm using vp racing fuel its the other brand hobby town sells in my area I'm going to replace the plug in on my way to buy one now and make sure that washer is on it and I'll go from there

OK thanks I'm using vp racing fuel its the other brand hobby town sells in my area I'm going to replace the plug in on my way to buy one now and make sure that washer is on it and I'll go from there

You should find a good tuning guide or read the manual on engine tuning!..:thumbs-up:
But you do need to get the engine off of the break-in carb settings to fully
break the engine in an get the most performance out of it!..:cool:

Thank you that's a much better guide than what I've been using. I'm about to head out and see if the new plug and washer will help with starting so I can get it tuned

Ok so new delema the traxxas starter acts like the car is closed and when I take the glow plug out to clear it the starter works great but as soon as I put the glow plug back in it and I try to start it the motor turns and almost starts but then cuts off after 3 seconds of pushing the button then all I get is a couch when I try again

Ok so new delema the traxxas starter acts like the car is closed and when I take the glow plug out to clear it the starter works great but as soon as I put the glow plug back in it and I try to start it the motor turns and almost starts but then cuts off after 3 seconds of pushing the button then all I get is a couch when I try again

What is it that you are actually clearing out?..🤔

What is it that you are actually clearing out?..🤔
The book says if the engine floods take the glow plug out hold the car upside down and hit the starter to clear the excess fuel and when I did I saw the fuel spray out and the starter works great but then I put the glow plug back in and hit the starter it try to turn over for around 3 to 5 seconds then gets weak and stops again ithought maybe the battery was low so I switched to a fully charged battery and no change

The book says if the engine floods take the glow plug out hold the car upside down and hit the starter to clear the excess fuel and when I did I saw the fuel spray out and the starter works great but then I put the glow plug back in and hit the starter it try to turn over for around 3 to 5 seconds then gets weak and stops again ithought maybe the battery was low so I switched to a fully charged battery and no change

Mmm..so you are putting the engine through a hydro lock!... 🤣

What glow plug did you buy?

What glow plug did you buy?
These are the two different ones I bought

Screenshot_20231116_110235_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20231116_110221_Chrome.jpg

I would use a regular glow starter. Once the engine is not firing, you can flood the engine quickly with EZ-start. Cheap glow plugs are not your friends. Get a real OS plug.

The top fuel is baaaaaaad lmao, so bad ,my god how many 3.3’s have lost their lives unnecessarily 🤣🤣🤣🤣😂…stuff is really bad news. I use vp now, run. 30/9 in my novarossi and rest of big blocks and 20/14 synthetic bash blend in everything else. No racing for money so my stuff is protected, smoke trail is perfect throughout rpm band and the tune stays unless weather and conditions r significant difference from last outing…