Storm RTR

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob D

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Looking for some info on it when ya go to Gs web site it point back to horizan but they dont have much info ..So users sell me on this buggy ..Also what would be needed to convert it to a pro

I want to know anything ya guys thinki should on it thx

I'm not a salesman but my first buggy was a rtr Storm and I liked it alot. It is a solid package which features a very nice FM 3ch radio (I'm still using mine). I eventually sold it to my brother as I stepped up to the Pro version. The buggy is tougher than most give it credit for. My brother accidentally ran over his with his car (a cadillac to be exact) and all it did was bend the rear shock tower!

I dont have a site you can refer to but here are some specs with pros and cons:

-JR XR3i Computer Radio
-JR Z2590 Metal-Gear Steering Servo
-GS21B-02S .21 Engine(PS)
-Aluminum Tuned Pipe(VERY LOUD)
-Twin Steel Disc Brakes fiber lined brake pads
-Turnbuckle Tie-Rods
-Heavy Duty Steel Universal Driveshafts(front)STANDARD

PROS:
Easy Starting!
Rock-Solid Idle!
RTR version not much diffrent from PRO and STORM kit!
Strong Steering Servo!
Excellent Suspension and Suspension Geometry!
Computer Radio!
Powerful Engine!
Excellent Pre-Assembly!

Cons:
Binding in the Steering Linkage
Very Loud Exhaust
Not-So Agressive Gearing

Speed and Performance Could be a Little Bit Better!

Length: 17.4"
Width: 12.3"
Wheelbase: 12.8"
Front Track: 10.4"
Rear Track: 10.1"
Weight: 7.4lbs
Price: Around $550.00

This information was gotten off a combonation of a Article in Hi-Torques RC Car Magazine, Websites, and someone who owns one at my Local Track. Hope This Helps! BTW: This info is for the newer version of the gs storm rtr with the new engine!
[move]-Kellen[/move]

Thx guys I'm sure i can find a quieter pipe I'm still tying to decide if i sell my tmaxx ill have one real soon if not itle be a month or 2

I have a suggestion to another buggy if you want...XTM X-Terminator RTR. Very Good buggy. EXTREMELY STRONG MILL! Crappy radio tho..LYNX...Excellent turning. Whatever you want...just a suggestion though.
[move]-Kellen[/move]

Originally posted by Rob D
Thx guys I'm sure i can find a quieter pipe I'm still tying to decide if i sell my tmaxx ill have one real soon if not itle be a month or 2

I bought the dynamite dual chamber pipe and ball bearing steering set me back $45. He is right the steering problem is because they use bushings on the RTR instead of ball bearings on the Pro. That stock pipe sucks its loud and I gained a ton of power with the Dynamite pipe. Just think if you used a Paris, Rossi, or RB pipe then the thing would scream! I also noted better fuel efficency with the new pipe.

i have a storm pro commming monday i can't wait!

I hate you all!!!

You make me want a 1/8 scale buggy!!!!

Originally posted by DarthRacer
I hate you all!!!

You make me want a 1/8 scale buggy!!!!

They are the best in my opinon. I have a Storm Pro, Tmaxx 2.5 and a HPI RS4 ss and my favorite toy is my Storm!!!!!

I love my storm too. I'm new here, but i've been posting at radiocontrolzone for a long time. I say that the storm is the best bang for your buck out there. The xterminator isn't race legal and where can you get parts. Where i'm at parts are readily available because they are sold wherever losi parts are sold.

L8r,
Garrett:dance:

Whatup and Welcome Gman. Finally someone with an intelligent opinion (agrees with mine).:cheers: :cheers: :smart:

thanks... :stupid: jk....:bling:

L8r,
Garrett

Here's what you can do to the Storm RTR as i have done. It is plenty race worthy and i have done fairly well w/ it even with the stock engine. Pics of my Storm

L8r,
Garrett

Looks like that things in some serious need of hopping up mister stock boy.

So as it sounds, the Storm PRO kit is like 200X's better than the RTR kit. They look tha same except little things. BB's stuff like that. Is that true???
[move]-Kellen[/move]

what do you mean. It comes with full ball bearings. The main differences between the rtr and pro are:

Pro 7075 machined and hard anodized chassis... RTR 6061 aluminum blue anodized chassis
Pro Universals all the way around... RTR Uni's in the front only
Pro Carbon fiber radio tray, center diff piece, front chassis (where torque rods connect, and where the bellcrank connects)... RTR has all 6061 aluminum in those places.
Pro 4 disc brakes... RTR 2 disc brakes
Pro 7075 machined and hard anodized shock towers... RTR 6061 Blue anodized shock towers

If you look at these upgrades, the only things that are really performance oriented (putting power to the ground) are the uni's. Uni's help a whole lot, but if you put a rtr next to a pro w/ all the same electronics, and engine, they will perform the same. Any one dissagree?

Also if you look at the November 2001 RCCA (Storm RTR), and the April 2002 RCCA (Pro) you will notice that the total, as tested weight on the RTR is 3,195g , and the pro is 3,217g. It's a very very minor difference, but the RTR did weigh less.

Don't get me wrong... i would kill for a storm pro, i'm just sayin, that you shouldn't dog my storm by sayin that i got a lot of hoppin up to do, when all the things that you are thinking of are pretty much eye candy.

L8r,
Garrett

i have the RTR GS Storm, and i Love it.

There is no bind in my steering Linkage, none at all.

There is TONS of power.

The damn thing Refuses to break.

Oh, but one thing. The recommended Glow plug for it is around 10 bucks.

And if u get it, make sure to get a Starter box. Those pull starts are Complete crap.

eye candy some maybe. Most of it is for durability and to reduce things like chassis flex so the suspension can do its job.

The hop-ups that contribute to better performance are ( and I do have 2 Storms 1 is RTR and the other is PRO) Ball bearing steering, ball bearing breaks plus 2 extra brakes, Universals (as you said) Pro shocks kill the RTR shocks, Pro fly wheel and pro clutch, and bearings.

The hopups that add to durability: Aluminum wing braces, Aluminum radio tray braces, Aluminum front upper hinge pin holder, aluminum front and rear lower hinge pin holders, Pro screws are srtonger, Chassis is more rigid for durability and that also adds to performance, Aluminum wheel nuts and holders, Aluminum knuckles instead of cast, aluminum one piece F/R diff braces

Hop ups that are eye candy: Graphite radio tray, graphite front bulk brace, graphite center diff brace, graphite front upper diff brace. Although graphite on the most part is for eye candy it is a lot more rigid than the stock aluminum parts that come in place of these.

My major point of peformance that differs from yours is my Sirio .21 buggy engine that smokes all. Anyways the RTR is GREAT but the pro is better plain and simple

alright i agree with you.... like i said earlier, the Pro is freakin awesome. What i'm sayin is that to race, you don't have to have the pro. We both agree w/ eachother.:music:

L8r,
Garrett

Well mine was supposed to behere today ..but old lady was in bed and the loser ups dude didnt leave at backdoor like normal

If you got the UPS yellow tag saying they tried to deliver call UPS and tell them you want to pick it up at the local station. They will tell you were its at and all you need is your ID to go get it.

Back