Kyosho Rampage Ramble

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Panko75

RCTalk Champion
Reaction score
I wasn't sure if this should be in "short course truck" or "crawler" board, the Rampage technically neither, despite being sold as a "crawler".

The Rampage is almost in line with earlier attempts at "trophy trucks", like the Thundertech Pro2. The Rampage Pro has a live rear axle, rear trailing arms, and a box "cage" setup of sorts which holds the rear fenders and spare wheel.

As someone used to more "entry level" stuff, I was surprised at how well the Rampage Pro comes equipped. It comes with hex hardware, sway bars, slipper clutch, an aluminum motor mount, aluminum shocks with TiN coated rods, 2 spare wheels/tires, aluminum skid plates, and a sealed diff. Compared to the RTR model, the kit is a much better buy.

It's not like most SCTs which are generally built on a buggy chassis, the Rampage uses a MOA setup (like an older Tamiya or Nikko) and live axles, so the motor is mounted more mid-ship. That combined with the hard kit tires means that you need to go easy on the gas (or use a gyro).

While these are durable (mine took a nice 4 jump on grass without damage), they are not "bashers", go overboard on power and you'll strip the plastic gears in the gearbox. The hard tires actually make it easier to drive as anything grippy just leads to traction rolling.

The biggest drawback of the Rampage is the lack of aftermarket for it. I like it as it is, I would only beef up the gearbox. But those who like to funnel money into their RCs might be dissapointed.

For someone used to dogbones/universals/double kardashians/etc, I welcome the simplicity of solid axles. They just work, they're robust, they don't fall out and get lost. The MOA setup makes working on the diff/transmission a breeze. Handling suffers, but this wasn't intended for the track (although a spec Rampage class would be fun to watch).

For reasons beyond me Kyosho markets the Rampage as a "crawler". While you can install crawler wheels/tires on it and possibly make it into a decent "trail truck", it is not a crawler. It barely does tall grass as it is.

If you're patient, they've been on sale on Amain for as low as $180 and this is before coupons, Kyosho is one of the few RC companies that plays nice with discounts. Thats a pretty good price for what you're getting.

20240328_135941.jpg

20240328_135915.jpg

20240328_135913.jpg

20240328_140002.jpg

Have you found any upgrades for the gearbox?
As far as I know there aren't any out there. I run mine with a 4000kv brushless system with no problems so far. The catch is that the brakes/reverse are set to be gradual, so you can't throw it into reverse immediately.

I quite like the proportions of the Rampage. So much closer to the real trucks.

The Slash (and all the SC trucks that have followed) is too wide in my opinion. Easier to drive but looks like a mailbox on wheels.

A Rampage spec class sounds awesome. Sadly it’s not nearly popular enough for this, or aftermarket support.

I quite like the proportions of the Rampage. So much closer to the real trucks.

The Slash (and all the SC trucks that have followed) is too wide in my opinion. Easier to drive but looks like a mailbox on wheels.
Same here, I like the earlier SC8/SC10 bodyshells but the rest look like angry taco shells to me...or something out of "Cars". And if you drop a more scale body one one they tend to look short and stubby.

In "Spec Rampage" it wouldn't matter which electronics you use, a gyro might help, but it comes down to skill over anything else. Unfortunatly as you said, parts availability, cost, and lack of popularity would be problems.

Unfortunatly as you said, parts availability, cost, and lack of popularity would be problems.
It amazes me the Kyosho non-racing stuff doesn't get a little more love from the aftermarket suppliers. But at least it sounds like yours is holding up well. I think Kyosho have always done a good job at designing their RC's to hold up given their intended uses and stock configurations. My Kyosho Javelin I had when I was a kid went through tons of abuse. Even with a seriously quick motor in it, it never had a single break or issue other than the occasional dogbone disappearing act.

Kerp us informed about the dursbility of yours. I really would like to grab one one of these days, if for nothing else than to add to our Kyosho shelf queen collection. This is just a few of them.
20230305_103855.png

It amazes me the Kyosho non-racing stuff doesn't get a little more love from the aftermarket suppliers. But at least it sounds like yours is holding up well. I think Kyosho have always done a good job at designing their RC's to hold up given their intended uses and stock configurations.

Kerp us informed about the dursbility of yours. I really would like to grab one one of these days.
I don't get it either, I've been playing with a Fazer Camaro as well and while it isn't leagues ahead of a Tamiya TT02, it does just "work". It goes where you point it and it uses normal gearing. My only real gripe is the weird wheel hubs.

I think it comes down to Kyosho not being super popular outside of Mini-Z, and Kyoshos higher initial cost on most models, compare a $220 Fazer to a $120 TT02. Plenty of people probably look at the Rampage Pro and get a brushed Slash instead.

So far nothing has broken on the Rampage, but I don't really "bash" my non-Traxxas RCs. Building it as a shelf-queen would be a waste imo, you'd miss out on the driving experience.

I don't think its cost or any of that. Kyosho has had a huge supply problem for at least the last 10 years. And they don't seem to care to keep the non racing stuff in stock. It seems they have the mentality that they'll get more inventory out when they can get to it. That's kept a lot of people buying elsewhere simply because the other brands have kits and parts available.

As far as shelf queens vs driving them, I enjoy building them a lot more than driving them. And when you put a lot of time into building something, it is hard to take it out and tear it up. We have plenty of higher end bashers that fill the need to play. That and I know what driving my old Kyosho's is like. They were a blast back in the day, but compared to today RC's, they'd likely be a bit boring by comparison.

I don't think its cost or any of that. Kyosho has had a huge supply problem for at least the last 10 years. And they don't seem to care to keep the non racing stuff in stock.
I wouldn't doubt that, they've been bought and sold a couple of times so we're fortunate to still have them around.

For me, anything old gets shelved or sold off, everything else gets driven. I have plenty of old die cast cars to fill up my shelf.