So who burned some nitro today?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I finally burned some nitro today!! After 3 days of having my new O.S. 21 I finally got my THS manifold in to put it on my slash.. broke it in today and man this thing has some grunt!! With the 3.3 Iv never heard the slipper clutch slip.. after break in I started smacking on it out of turns a little harder and the slipper clutch was struggling..

Might be looking for an upgrade if anyone has recommendations?

I finally burned some nitro today!! After 3 days of having my new O.S. 21 I finally got my THS manifold in to put it on my slash.. broke it in today and man this thing has some grunt!! With the 3.3 Iv never heard the slipper clutch slip.. after break in I started smacking on it out of turns a little harder and the slipper clutch was struggling..

Might be looking for an upgrade if anyone has recommendations?

:hehe:...OS engines are no joke ,they are power house engines ,always have been!..:thumbs-up:

:hehe:...OS engines are no joke ,they are power house engines ,always have been!..:thumbs-up:
I could tell from startup that it’s even sounds like a much tighter “snappier” engine.. I was skeptical at first because I did a lot of research before hand.. what sold me was a quote I saw on Reddit.. “Traxxas makes rc cars not engines, buy the engine”

The weather finally calmed down enough to run a Nitro this morning. Got to try out my new TNR fuel. It’s great! The old HSP Hotrod ran better than it ever has before. Nice smoke trail and it ran cooler than with the Nitrotane I had before. Been waiting all summer for this.😁Nitro forever LOL 😝

779F0A11-77FE-40ED-86BC-5DB3ACA26BF8.jpeg

Making the most of some nice weather before the season's over for the year, trying to get everything in the collection out one more time.

Ran the HSP-3.3, got even more power out of it than before. It would easily keep its nose in the air as long as I stayed on the throttle.

Also ran the "Purple Power" HSP Truggy, the tune on this one almost sounds like a big 1/5 gasser instead of a 1/10 nitro.

The Nitro Stampede made some noise this morning. Running great! That TNR fuel is the best I have ever ran. Got 22 minutes of run time and engine temp was only about 200-205. Love the smell of Nitro in the morning 😁😎

22A9EA43-41E8-4ECA-9056-3052AF35DD63.jpeg

Ran my tethered racer in the bench vice today, starting was easier than I had expected by pushing a prop spinner electric start on the extended hub on the inside rear wheel and managed to set up the rc throttle to kill the engine on full stick forward.
On start No. three the engine locked and the coupling sheared in an instant! Bugger, after much head scratching I made a solid brass link and pressed the coupling inserts in, success! Then I couldn’t get the glow plug extender to fit the glow plug, the alternative kept falling off, eventually I managed to jam a female flat blade connector on.

I think the neighbours had had enough by then and I was beginning to get gassed in my shed!

Photo of chassis before the coupling sheared! Oh and I have now added a sub C glow plug battery at the front.

IMG_0383.jpeg

Last edited:
It’s good to do a shake down on the bench, it’s off to the track for the first time next week, I will be bringing lots of tools!

It’s good to do a shake down on the bench, it’s off to the track for the first time next week, I will be bringing lots of tools!

Can't wait to see it run! Is that an original build or is there a brand/model?

Ran the HSP 1/16 scale HSP Kingliness this morning.(Same as Exceed Thunderfire) These small ones can be a bit more picky about carb adjustments, etc so they are more of a challenge to get running. Crazy fun. Love the smell of Nitro in the morning 😂

View attachment 164845
Peace bro, love the tiny rig! I recently got a thunderfire I scored at a great deal running & am wondering if you have a site where u source parts from?? Haven't had much luck, got the car needing a couple things but got it going yesterday & broke it in, seemed like it had Never been fired up🤘🏼

20231007_211731.jpg

NitroRCX used to have a good parts inventory for those but they appear to be out of business. RC Hobbies Outlet shows some 1/16 scale parts on their website. I’ve never ordered parts from them but I have purchased trucks from them in the past. Great customer service, and quick shipping. They are in Canada so shipping is a little pricey.

NitroRCX used to have a good parts inventory for those but they appear to be out of business. RC Hobbies Outlet shows some 1/16 scale parts on their website. I’ve never ordered parts from them but I have purchased trucks from them in the past. Great customer service, and quick shipping. They are in Canada so shipping is a little pricey.
Copy brotha, noted, appreciate the info I'll check them out🤝🏼

Copy brotha, noted, appreciate the info I'll check them out🤝🏼

I'll also mention this vendor on aliexpress. Shipping takes a while but it's cheap, as are the parts, and they have a pretty inventory of some of the 1/16th hsp nitro components that can't be found anywhere else...

I'll also mention this vendor on aliexpress. Shipping takes a while but it's cheap, as are the parts, and they have a pretty inventory of some of the 1/16th hsp nitro components that can't be found anywhere else...
Amazing, really appreciate the input, have an amazing Sunday evening champ.
The link to the vendor doesn't work, just a heads up

Amazing, really appreciate the input, have an amazing Sunday evening champ.

The link to the vendor doesn't work, just a heads up

That's odd, it works for me... They're "Jz9193 store", might be worth looking up. There's also Juzi Store and JZXD store that have a few more items in stock but don't combine shipping.

And so as to not post in this thread with contributing some daily driving, found a super-snug fitting Viper body for my Sh.12 car:

Can't wait to see it run! Is that an original build or is there a brand/model?

I'm lined up to go to the track on Thursday this week. The 'car' is made up using old Mardave Marauder front and rear suspension and gear box from a beaten up donor vehicle. I replaced the drive shafts, (which were bent), which now run in phospor bronze bearings rather than the orginal plastic. I removed the centrifugal clutch and the primary gear from the engine now giving 1:3 reduction from the remaining crown and pinion gearing. The chassis is a plate of aluminum and the wheels are split rim aluminum clamping very home made 10mm thick tyres between them. (I hate making wheels!) I made a smaller brass flywheel for the Engine as the rest of the drive train offers a fair bit of spinning mass.

The idea is the steering is locked off straight ahead with fine adjustments on the threaded clevises and the I have kept the RC throttle on a single channel set up to make getting away a bit more manageable and for use as an engine kill switch, at least that's the theory!

I am still trying to work out how to start and launch the thing on the track. I need one hand on the car to hold it off the ground, one on the starter motor and one on the RC throttle, I think you will see an issue here, also I need to clear the starter motor from the 'infield' either before launch or very shortly after, whilst keeping hold of the transmitter for the throttle control. The starter battery may have to stay in the out field section!

Perhaps I can enlist help from another club member, or maybe a traditional push start, usually performed by another person?

Last edited:
Ran the HSP Hotrod again this morning. Fired right up and ran perfect. This was just a cheap truck that I picked up a few years back from RC Hobbies Outlet but the quality is impressive for the price. Love this truck!😎

D0F26C3E-A8D3-46B1-9ED9-DE49D348301C.jpeg

Thursday last week saw the first attempted run of my nitro tethered car at my local track.

First the positives,

• At first, it started easily using the 'push on spinner' airplane electric start on rear wheel, radio control of the throttle worked quite well until the carb worked loose, but I really do need to remove the spring centering device on the TX, 1/2 throttle caused the engine to scream when off load.
  • Engine seems to have sufficient power when using the now higher 1:3 gearing

On the bad side, (To be fair this was its first shake down)

• It was raining heavily, all my gear and I got soaked.
  • No grip on track, it was soaking, couldn't push start
  • When it was running it had no grip and wouldn't run 'straight' on the track against the tether. Any power and it would just spin out. Managed just half a lap of fish tailing plus a fair bit of water spray.
  • Changed tether connection point, (governed by centre of balance of the car, but seemingly affected by the wet track and lack of grip)
  • Broke lots of things!
  • Fixed lots of things several times (In the pouring rain)
  • Eventually I could start it but it wouldn't run for very long, likely/possible fuel starvation, I noticed the carb was very loose in mounting, (air getting in?), also I think I need to raise the gravity fed tank.
  • Drive shafts started to work loose in the couplings, very bad as this requires the rear suspension and gear box to be dismantled to access to tighten.
  • Newly fitted Mardave rear shaft UJ donuts can't cope with the torque of the starter motor via the rear wheels, (deformed/no longer round), even worse!
IMG_5211.JPG

Picture taken at home before run.
After staying to be sociable, watching others attempt their runs in the rain, we found that only the air-screw cars had any, (but not much) success.
Put on brave face, Licked wounds and after a couple of hours left for home!

Sorry no photos/videos of the action, I didn't have the time or the energy to get the phone out for the half lap it managed, I was feeling a bit flustered/deflated.

This weekend saw a lot of repairs and modifications, mostly to address the above but also other things I didn't notice on the day, next meet is in one month's time, then we shall see it fly, Queue, 'the sound of wild cackling laughter'!

The next car very likely to be electrically powered, must get the design on the 'drawing board' I will not be beaten by this game, 'Yet' :0)

Last edited:
Ran the Nitro Sport this morning. This truck has a special place in my heart. Was the 1st Nitro RC I ever ran. That was 8 years ago 😳Still running great. Love the Pro.15 I have 3 of them LOL 😝

B0B8A090-7C24-413A-9095-E380C9D04C96.jpeg

Ran the Nitro Sport this morning. This truck has a special place in my heart. Was the 1st Nitro RC I ever ran. That was 8 years ago 😳Still running great. Love the Pro.15 I have 3 of them LOL 😝

View attachment 173421
My first nitro too. I got mine in 2006 or 2007. My buddy got his as a first in 2003. I'm in the middle of putting new life into it.