Should i get a Revo???

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtnbiker94

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I currently have a Traxxas E-Maxx, but i don't really like the fact that it uses two batteries, as i don't have a dual charger. Also it doesn't get very good run times. It doesn't have enough speed for me either and i don't want to spend 260 dollars on a Novak brushless system. Now I'm considering selling the E-Maxx and buying a used Revo 3.3. My first ever RC car was a nitro Savage .25 and that didn't go very well. We didn't know how to tune the engine so it got all messed up, it always stripped spur gears and to change them you had to take out the entire engine(That's why i switched over to electric). Now that I've been in hobby for a few years I'm more confident that I'd be able to handle a nitro.
So I'm wondering if the Nitro Revo would be the right truck for me? Is it easy to tune? Is the maintenance fairly easy?

Any advice would be very helpful
Thanks, Tim

Revo are amazing for the price... I'm in the process right now of biulding one from scratch and i just love it..... So many upgrades and best suspension on the market for bashing and racing.... Very fast and fun... Def should get it...

I like my revos alot. I am bias because these are the only trucks I have owned... Both were purchased used...
As far as tunning, I wouldn't say they are hard but it seems like I spend more time tunning my mills than running the truck...
When you get one, seal up the carb and mill first thing... Seal it good and you shouldn't have two many problems... The spurs are easy to change. The only reason you may need to remove the engine for often would be the stock clutch... This is #2 on your bullet proof list... Go with a good three shoe clutch. I've been through 2 in four months...

As far as the truck goes its pretty easy to break down and maintenance and when the 3.3 goes just drop in a os or pico and your good to go... The 3.3 has done ok for me but I hear there are better mills out there for sure... Advice from a simi newb...

Last edited:
When and or if you get a used one you should buy it with the mind set that the mill will be no good anything otherwise will be a bonus! I love my revo it is easy to work on for the most part. I think it is a grate rig all in all the only prob I really ever had with mine is the one darn shock kept braking at the end of the shaft. I had to really beat the poop out of it to get it to brake to. I know there are much better rigs out there but like said for the price I is a nice semi begginer truck IMO anyway. Goos luck to ya!

When and or if you get a used one you should buy it with the mind set that the mill will be no good anything otherwise will be a bonus! I love my revo it is easy to work on for the most part. I think it is a grate rig all in all the only prob I really ever had with mine is the one darn shock kept braking at the end of the shaft. I had to really beat the poop out of it to get it to brake to. I know there are much better rigs out there but like said for the price I is a nice semi begginer truck IMO anyway. Goos luck to ya!

Thanks all the posts have been great help. What do you mean by the "mill" I'm a newb so i don't know many of the nitro terms.

I'm new and from mill I'm getting the drift that its you engine....jmo

Thats right... Engine,motor,mill

Not sure where "mill" came from though...

yeah that's what i was thinking but wasn't quite sure.

Why do you say that the mill will be no good??

He's just saying plan on it being no good... Its popular opinion that the trx 3.3 motor won't take alot of abuse so plan the cost of a replacment motor in your budget just in case...
You may get a good motor but you never know... I tend to think this way with any rc vehicle I look at. These motors run high rpm's and take alot of abuse. You never know what they have been through and alot of people (maybe not as much on this site) tend to be dishonest about the amount of fuel through the motors when selling... Just my local exp...

A lot of poeple come into the nitro world buying a used rig, simply because new ones are expensive and you can find used ones for cheap. Often times in the ad it will say: "runs good, just needs a tune" or whatever. Generally if your getting a used rig you should count on replacing the engine. Unfortunately a lot of people dont see this and they go crazy trying to get this engine that ran good, but needs a tune to run right, and end up going to electric or get out of the hobby all together. Buying a new engine is the best route, you know exactly what your getting, and you know exactly what its been through because your the one who broke it in, and runs it. Believe me its much easier to know your own engine than it is to figure out someone elses.

-AxialLST

100% yes you should get a revo, they are an awesome rig, easy to upgrade and work on, blast to drive jump and bash all over the place, and an all around durable rig, i have only broken 1 major part but thats my fault cuz my brakes failed. . .if you want the whole story just ask me (and it wasn't anything to do with the brakes that i had to replace) it was the chassis. . .long story. . .n e wayz as i was saying parts are EASY to come by and just about every LHS carries Traxxas stuff so it should be easy to get parts if you need them. . .and as was said in earlier posts plan on the engine being junk unless you know the person you are getting it from personally. . .and the best bet for the engine is a drop in picco .26 maxx or picco .26 JL RedDot. I have the picco .26 maxx in mine and will not ever EVER go back to a TRX engine, but as i said before. . .get it get it get it get it get it get it get it get it get it and u won't regret it

Go ahead get a revo 3.3....I love that truck..It holds on to the tuning pretty well...The only problem i faced was once, wen it wasn't shifting into 2nd gear...

Now, i will chance the exhaust n will extract more power from it..

Thumbs up for Revo

The revo is not as durable as most would tell you, I had to replace parts on It daily when I was using it for bashing. The 3.3 engine is no good at all IMHO. Now if your going to run it at a track and even race it it's wonderful, however you will want to get a better engine like the os 21 tm or picco 26. I got a new savage x 4.6 for bashing and it is almost indestructable and way fast, also with the new savage changing the spur gear no longer requires removing the engine, just a few screws on the tranny and it lifts off with the gear attached making a quick change. If your bashing go savage it's quicker cheaper and tougher. The revo will cost you more in the long run especially when you get a new motor for it to make it fun to drive, unless you like mediocre performance and restarting the thing every few mins.

The revo is not as durable as most would tell you, I had to replace parts on It daily when I was using it for bashing. The 3.3 engine is no good at all IMHO. Now if your going to run it at a track and even race it it's wonderful, however you will want to get a better engine like the os 21 tm or picco 26. I got a new savage x 4.6 for bashing and it is almost indestructable and way fast, also with the new savage changing the spur gear no longer requires removing the engine, just a few screws on the tranny and it lifts off with the gear attached making a quick change. If your bashing go savage it's quicker cheaper and tougher. The revo will cost you more in the long run especially when you get a new motor for it to make it fun to drive, unless you like mediocre performance and restarting the thing every few mins.
i have to disagree with you on this one, i have a revo 3.3 and i have had it for over a year now, and the only thing i replaced was the engine, not cuz it was blown or anything i just wanted more out of it so i installed a Picco .26 Maxx, and i had to replace the clutch with a 3 pc and a new primary clutch and i bash mine HARD!!!! and i have never broken anything, and a friend of mine has a savage 4.6 and i run circles around him all day long, i mean literally eat him alive and then come back for seconds, granted yes the savage is a durable truck, but the revo is a VERY durable little machine and as i said i have never replaced anything major due to failure, i have replaced stuff because of my own stupidity, (full bore into a concrete divider. . .don't ask) i had to replace a chassis but other than that nothing at all has gone wrong and as far as having to restart it every few minutes, thats just a tuning issue, if you have it tuned correctly it will run all day long and it WILL sit and idle for as long as you want it too. ..just my :2cents:

Don't get me wrong, I love my revo, but for me it would always break something daily , and the motor just would not run right ever, and yes I do know how to tune a nitro well, this 3.3 engine is the only engine I ever had a problem like this with that I couldnt fix. I am going to get a picco .26 red dot for it though and just use it at the track and bash the savage, since I have yet to break anything on the savage yet since I have owned it, thing is tough. On the revo I would have to fix something on it daily and it got old. I wasn't beating the crap out of it either, just driving it like it should be driven.:\

get the revo! i bought a used 3.3 off ebay. on the higher price side of 400 bucks, i got it and the motor mount was broke and the carb was completely clogged. it started right up and idled but didnt go far. take your time and find a cheap one on ebay dont just buy the first one you see like i did! when you get it tear it down and seal up the back plate and carb and clean and inspect EVERYTHING, even motor mounts and clutch shoes!

Congrats man. . .ur gonna love it. . .like u said take ur time and inspect EVERYTHING ON IT i didn't and i regret it, cuz i got mine used too. . .but i got it all straightened out now but all in all its a great machine and you will get lots of enjoyment out of it for years to come

Congrats man. . .ur gonna love it. . .like u said take ur time and inspect EVERYTHING ON IT i didn't and i regret it, cuz i got mine used too. . .but i got it all straightened out now but all in all its a great machine and you will get lots of enjoyment out of it for years to come

I wasn't the thread starter? i think you mixed me up with the thread started lol

great truck

I have a R3.3 and it's a great truck, I was fast as hell at first because it was my first nitro vehicle but once you get used to it ya gonna need more engine! It is a very easy to maintain truck. I haven't had any durability problems with the truck. Stuff breaks but i is usually due to something like haulin ass outta control and slammin into the house for instance:D. The only problem I have had was initially the conrod broke after breaking the engine in but it seems that alot of people have had this problem. I have upgraded the crap out of mine this summer cause it's been hot here in NC and I haven't really played with it alot. I took the opportunity to hook it up, too much to say. Got a new engine I'm going to try RB TM523 and i have my eye on another also Picco P3-28. You can never enough speed and power. Here's some pics, some good and not so good ones.

http://s278.photobucket.com/albums/kk99/SRAD750C/Revo Mods/?albumview=grid

Last edited:
Back