Sct is taking over at the track

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sono

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Do you ever get a guy mumbling over your shoulder about stupid slashes there taking over ,yea i got hack out there..older guy grumbling about the fact there car and trucks are out dated and old just like them.... i use to run a losi truck in 1993 and it was cool.... but i wouldn't go buy a new t4 ...not with all the sick sct that are out and coming out..... it like night and day different's...the racing is the same for both classes ....but we know which one better.....SCT got me back in to RC and that what it all about ...making friend with all your fellow club racer...haven fun racing...:thumbup1:

I haven't raced since the early 80's when I ran a Cox Scorpion in ORRCA stock class. I loved the car but it cost me a mint to keep it in running condition. Back then stock meant STOCK! The only thing we could change was tires and we had to go to a forward only resistor/wiper speed control. To be competitive I usually replaced $10-$30 worth of parts after every race. There were stronger aftermarket parts available but we couldn't use them.

After seeing the Traxxas commercial on ESPN a few weeks ago I checked deeper into the Slash. It's hard to find anything negative said about this truck! I'm so impressed that I decided it's time to go racing again. Like you, the Slash is what is getting me back into racing. My truck will be here next week!

I'm a certifiable old fart. 53 years old. You won't hear this old guy complain one bit about something as great as a spec class with a truck like the Slash that can actually survive racing in stock configuration. The guys that are complaining need to just shut up and keep racing in their own class. They don't HAVE to buy a Slash but I'll bet they'd have more fun and save money if they did. I hate the idea of racing in a class where it's all about the latest high dollar gee whiz parts that the big name blood sucker R/C companies are hawking. Just ignore those guys and have fun.

The only problem I'm having with going racing now is the transponder that I'll have to buy. It's a $100.00 hit I hadn't planned for. Back when I raced transponders were mainly in airplanes. ;)

Joe

HEY, Easy on us old guys lol! I need to find a track closer than 1 1/2 hrs before I start racing again. If I do, it will be a mod sc class. But you won't hear any complaints out of me. I will be too busy :)ing!

I agree the slash and sc10 are what got me back in ,the whole scale look and durability of these trucks are unbeleiveable.

The Slash got me back into racing after many many years away from it. I use to race stadium trucks, buggies and even some stock touring cars but got away from it when the stock classes dried up. The SCT trucks are the most fun i've ever had in RC and I hope there will always be a stock class for these truck..

As for complaining.....The only complaining i've heard comes from the Nitro guys. A couple of years back there where a ton of Nitro classes but in the last couple of years there has been a huge movement toward electric and the Nitro classes are going away due to a lack of competitors. There has been some grumbling about the new SCT but my feeling is it's more the fact that they're electric than the fact that they're SCt's

Last year, I smoked a guy with a 3.3 rusty in a drag race with my brushless Bandit. At my work he was talking to me about how fast it was after I mentioned I was into rc. I asked if he ever ran on road with it, and that I had an electric Bandit that was pretty fast. He bet me $50 on the spot that he could beat me in a drag. I told him I would like to run with him for fun, but did not want to bet because it was hard to keep the thing on the ground at wot. He persisted and said that he would go 5-1 odds. So that weekend,I put my $10 down on the tailgate of his pickup, and proceeded to take a pass with 2s. He said it looks like they would be pretty even. I gave him a last chance to go even money for $10 as I was pulling out my 3s. He looked at the difference between the size of the batteries and got a little nervous. I got a great start (thanks to the castle link), and by the time his clutch fully engaged I had him by 20 ft. After I crushed him, I handed the bill back and said " go get an electric, here's a the down payment". 10 days later I was running in a parking lot with him and his vxl. No more grumbling from the nitro guy lol.

That is an awsome story.
My manager saw me driving my xl1 rusty around (neo1 3star)
He said he had a t-max that would waste it
so he brought it .........I brought my steel gear rusty xl1 with a 3.5r
I wasted him........later I learned my neo6.5 would do the job

Z- That's a great story. I did something similar with my Bandit VXL. A guy was running a Jato in the back lot here at work and I went out and talked to him for a while and the guy was a real jerk.

We talked about RC and he actually said to me " When you get serious about RC come talk to me and we'll get you into nitro. That's where the really fast cars are". I shook my head and said OK. The following day I brought my VXL Bandit and my 3S 5000 into work with me and waited. A couple of days went by and he was out back again. I took the bandit out, plugged in the battery and made a couple of light passes all while listening to his BS about electrics vs nitros etc.. After a few minutes I asked if wanted to line them up so I could see just how much faster the Nitro was. He said sure let do it..

Well we all know what happened next. We lined up and he took off. I feathered the throttle so I didn't flip over and stayed pretty much side by side with him for the first few hundred feet until I pulled the trigger all the way back and the little bandit lunged forward and pulled the front wheels in the air. I feathered it as best as I could and got out in front a good 10 feet or so but eventually flipped over.

Needless to say he was not happy. I went down and flipped the car over and drove back. He asked me just how much money I spent on the car and didn't believe me when I told him it was box stock except for anacondas on the rear. He swore I was trying to make a fool out of him etc etc.

Long story short. About 2 weeks went by and I saw him out back again. This time running VXL rustler. he learned his lesson....

Thats awsome John.
If you really want to put the power to the ground 2.2 with truck street tires is the way to go.like the HPI V-Groove
or Proline speedhawgs,roadhawgs or road rage II
PRO106200-2.gif

My co-worker has a xl5 rusty put a mamba 6900 in put Andacondas on all four to do speed runs with a 3s I got him to switch to theese type of tires and the speed runs are way more successfull just gear up a hair to make up for the diameter

Hey. I'm not gonna say that SCT's are taking over but at one point yesterday there was 8 Slash's out on local park track here and another few guy waiting to run theirs. I think I saw 5 cars that where not Slash's all day

I have run them all and the SC is the best ever.....Just yesterdasy here in Michigan the SC racers got called a bunch of retards who do nothing but bash on the track...(this guy was one of those uppity buggy racers who think all other classes should be banned)(he crashed and then blamed the marshal)(u all know the type)this SC is best thing since slliced bread....bumpin an rubbin just like in real racin...keep it growin

At my local track (Mikes Hobby Shop Carrollton, Tx) The SC classes have much more entries than any other class. We also have them split up into three classes.
Stock Slash - Slash Only & Bone Stock
Open SC - Blitz, Losi, Slash, etc.. 2WD Mod basically
4wd Slash - 4wd Slash only.
We had 19 total yesterday and the count was low due to the holiday travelers. The next class under is stock buggy with 18 entrants yesterday. I have raced them all too and have fallen in love with the SC trucks and my HPI Blitz!!

Even worked after being submerged in water

My wife drove her slash 4x4 into a ditch full of water yesterday. we waded in and put it back down on the pavement. It ran like new. How do you argue with that type of quality

My wife drove her slash 4x4 into a ditch full of water yesterday. we waded in and put it back down on the pavement. It ran like new. How do you argue with that type of quality

no real argument to make with sealed electronics, but do let us know longterm in the spring when metal parts start rusting and the steering and suspension starts binding up ;)

A little water won't hurt anything as long as it was dried and lubed properly.

i couldnt agree more. the sct are what drew me back into rc. after wrecking my truggy i got tired of racing and just put it away. now that sct is getting to be so popular, i am once again back in.

People like short course racing because it is more realistic that buggys and truggys. If RC ever has a chance of becoming a bigger "sport", it needs to have scaled racing of real cars and trucks. This is what SC provides and people are loving it.

The waterproofing of the slash is a HUGE bonus in my opinion. I love my SC10 and don't want a Slash, but stock versus stock, the Slash is hard to beat.

Your post got me to thinking. Maybe a Slash for the wife is the perfect gift!

People like short course racing because it is more realistic that buggys and truggys. If RC ever has a chance of becoming a bigger "sport", it needs to have scaled racing of real cars and trucks. This is what SC provides and people are loving it.
:thumbup1:

I too have been brought back in by the SC trucks. I used to race a more "scale type racing" where we had a touring spec class, which was very realistic, and it drew a lot of people to watch. I am sure some of you did the parking lot thing, and that was fun. As usual, people bumping up everything, and modifying the class out of existence happened. I hope that we can keep this a TRUE stock spec class, and not let it get out of hand or we will be back to the same "circle of life" that we always get into. I am up with some of the old guys and have seen this time and time again. So to everyone, keep it fun! I know I will be. BTW I have a box stock Slash 2wd, and love it just the way it is. Impressed none the less.:D