G speed V4 chassis build

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iowa crawler

Hardcore RCTalk User
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
  2. Crawling
  3. Scale Builder
  4. Flying
Hey everyone
I am trying to get a slight diversion from racing and get back into rock crawling. The local hobby shop has comps on Thursday night and I have some cool trucks I miss driving.

I robbed my crawlers of servos ESC and receivers to race and a lot of that stuff got damaged so I just had to take stock and start fixing things.

After getting everything up and running a fellow racer asked me to help him build his first custom crawler.

So naturally I contacted Gabe Fleming at G Speed and he is starting his build. In the process I found he has a new version 4 carbon frame that has been out for less than a year. It has many new features and I had to have one. I can’t build a full truck but I have a roller that just needs some electronics and some love.

I ordered the new V4 frame rails and I’m going to strip my V3 roller and go over all the parts then build up a V4.
It’s going to be SCX10ii based with metal clone axles and hardcore RC links.
The trans is team garage hack 2.low and I am making a custom skid for that.
Should be a fun build.

Last edited:
Some history.
This is actually a rebuild thread . I am starting with the best crawler I ever had and fixing it.
This rig got over every obstacle and made a maneuver in my back yard nothing can else do. And now this rig I call the Creeper just because of the body. It can’t do it. I just think it needs new tires and shock rebuild. But I’m thinking I can make it better than before. So the V4 chassis upgrade from the V3 and some other things to reduce weight.

New body is kinda un cut

This is the maneuver that no other rig I have can make.

IMG_1377.jpeg

IMG_1061.jpeg

IMG_4722.jpeg

IMG_4665.jpeg

Last edited:
Putting together some parts
Waiting on the chassis.
I still have to make a final decision on the drive train. But I am leaning toward the TGH 2.low because it’s super light sits the motor low and has 40% over drive.

Tires are trenchers on method wheels

Motor ESC will probably be the Fusion pro from Hobbywing.

IMG_4743.jpeg

IMG_4742.jpeg

I got enough parts together to start building . As this is a rebuild the first thing I did was open up the axles and tighten the bolts that hold the ring gear to the locker. These tend to stretch and after tightening them once I replace them. Or get the 6 bolt locker from vanquish.

The V3 set up I was using has the 2.low trans . A super low light trans from Team garage hack that has 30% overdrive. So I can use stock axle gearing .
I also was running a SOA up front with a short motor.
Now I want to use the Hobbywing Fusion Pro because it has a built in ESC and it is super smooth.

First problem is the left side upper link is totally in the way.

Next so I need to try a different trans or go with servo on chassis.

IMG_4774.jpeg

IMG_4770.jpeg

IMG_4775.jpeg

IMG_4773.jpeg

IMG_4772.jpeg

IMG_4771.jpeg

I spent all day working around the 2.low transmission. It has 30% over drive built in so I don’t have to change diff gearing. The problem seems to be the fusion pro is to long. It just won’t work. Easy solution is a standard axial 3 gear and change the diff gearing for the over drive. The other option is the forward motor mount design. This has tow advantages one is the built in overdrive. The other is the motor mounts low and center.
It does require some custom drive shafts and link work but in the end it works.

IMG_4775.jpeg

IMG_4776.jpeg

IMG_4780.jpeg

IMG_4785.jpeg

IMG_4786.jpeg

IMG_4787.jpeg

IMG_4788.jpeg

I spent all day working around the 2.low transmission. It has 30% over drive built in so I don’t have to change diff gearing. The problem seems to be the fusion pro is to long. It just won’t work. Easy solution is a standard axial 3 gear and change the diff gearing for the over drive. The other option is the forward motor mount design. This has tow advantages one is the built in overdrive. The other is the motor mounts low and center.
It does require some custom drive shafts and link work but in the end it works.

View attachment 176793

View attachment 176794

View attachment 176795

View attachment 176796

View attachment 176797

View attachment 176798

View attachment 176799
Are those lower links on upside down?

Yes but that was just a mistake I fixed. The 2.low trans hit everything and I had them just rotated down for an attempt at clearance. I had to put the upper right link on upside down because the fusion pro was just kinda touching at full compression without shocks .

IMG_4805.jpeg

I have only tested my new G Speed V4 outside in my back yard and it was kinda wet and did not have a body. It did to line from the video on the first try and a couple other hard ones with ease. That was without the body and it was still not quite finished.
But you know how something goes together and just feel right? This rig is solid. I might go for slightly longer shocks from 80mm to 96. But I want to drive its first.

IMG_4813.jpeg

IMG_4814.jpeg

IMG_4815.jpeg

IMG_4816.jpeg

IMG_4817.jpeg

This is my climb the vice test . I do a better job driving with two hands. But it did just fine.

Back