Scratch build electric tethered car racer

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just gave it a tickle of throttle in the hallway, it gets away, freewheels very well no brakes which is a good thing on the track and has smacked into the skirting a few times. Time to box it up ready for the track before I break something.

One big fear I had was that it wouldn’t have the torque to get moving I can at least stop worrying about that.

I'd wanna be right above the center pole lol
Well that is an interesting point, we do have a pole with a place to stand, but more often than not we use the pole without, which means that the guy who helps the cars away by ‘walking’ the wire round for the first lap has to get out of the circle before the engine picks up otherwise you might get tied to the pole which would be nasty.

That would be scary 😱

Agreed, first the wire tightening around your legs, then the car come flying at your ankles.

I have managed to up load a short video to Youtube
I hope this link works!
Ha! just noticed the battery wires aren't tied down!

Last edited:
Agreed, first the wire tightening around your legs, then the car come flying at your ankles.

I have managed to up load a short video to Youtube
I hope this link works!
Ha! just noticed the battery wires aren't tied down!

So exciting. Was that full trigger?

Ah no! I have checked that I get full revs with the belt off, but it is not recommended to rev any wheel driven tether car at full revs off load incase the tires explode, in my case it is more likely to be the drive belt.

I should have videoed my few runs in the hallway where the skirting board substituted for brakes.

Excellent vid on the bench run up. "I love it when a plan comes together." (thank you A Team)

The wheel/tire assembly puts me so much in mind of Malcom Campbell 'Bluebird' images years past. Have you selected a name for this effort yet?

Excellent vid on the bench run up. "I love it when a plan comes together." (thank you A Team)

The wheel/tire assembly puts me so much in mind of Malcom Campbell 'Bluebird' images years past. Have you selected a name for this effort yet?
Thank you @ahr43 sofar so good, perhaps I should stop now while the going is good it would be a shame if it bombs out on the track!

Names? Well I think that will be dictated by the body that I build for it, I was thinking of the Breedlove style landspeed record cars I think they were trikes. So far ”the motorised angle iron “ is the front runner

IMG_5438.jpeg

I wonder if this car body would look ok with only three wheels? Rear wheels match my chassis 😁

Names? Well I think that will be dictated by the body that I build for it, I was thinking of the Breedlove style landspeed record cars I think they were trikes. So far ”the motorised angle iron “ is the front runner
The Flying L- Bracket
The Ground Rounder
The Roundy Rounder
Circle Me This
Twist and Shout
Spinnin' Daydreams
Freak on a Leash

The Flying L- Bracket
The Ground Rounder
The Roundy Rounder
Circle Me This
Twist and Shout
Spinnin' Daydreams
Freak on a Leash
“Freak on a leash” has to be a front runner, I like that

Super cool @Roog 👍
I’m loving the scratch build with all the photos! 😎
Thank you @Hammer Down i was worried it might be a bit tedious.

Perhaps I should build a regular rc car? Question is we’re to run it, back in the day, supermarket car parks were empty on a Sunday and I found it good for my first go at learning to ride a motorcycle

“Freak on a leash” has to be a front runner, I like that

Thank you @Hammer Down i was worried it might be a bit tedious.

Perhaps I should build a regular rc car? Question is we’re to run it, back in the day, supermarket car parks were empty on a Sunday and I found it good for my first go at learning to ride a motorcycle
I was going to suggest you buy a 1/10 crawler and turn it into something crazy.

And yeah, Freak on a Leash is my fav of those as well. It just popped in my head when I thought of the word leash.

Bought some foam, didn’t really want the foil backed stuff but it looked like it might sand better than the other stuff in our local hardware depot

IMG_5440.jpeg

After much cutting and sanding it now looks like this

IMG_5450.jpeg

It’s higher than it needs to be, I intend to trim the final shape to the right height

I have decided to go with the rough lay up with woven glass fibre mat and resin over the plug and see just how it looks.

Then sand it smoother and brush a top coat of resin for final finish and paint.

I recon it will look ok from a distant with your eyes half closed. :D :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Bought some foam, didn’t really want the foil backed stuff but it looked like it might sand batter than the other stuff in our local hardware depot

View attachment 181965

View attachment 181968

It’s higher than it needs to be, I intend to trim the final shape to the right height

I have decided to go with the rough lay up with woven glass fibre mat and resin over the plug and see just how it looks.

I recon it will look ok from a distant with your eyes half closed. :D :rolleyes:

Looks nice and even which is tricky to do, I think you've got this no problem.

Bought some foam, didn’t really want the foil backed stuff but it looked like it might sand batter than the other stuff in our local hardware depot

View attachment 181965

View attachment 181968

That looks great man!

I assume you're going to glue on foam to sculpt the cockpit hump?

You could make a mold off of that body to lay the fiberglass on the inside, so you have less sanding work on the nasty fiberglass resin. It should come out fairly smooth. But that may be more work than just smoothing the body.

Looks nice and even which is tricky to do, I think you've got this no problem.
I’ll tell you one thing. It’s a bit big!

Over hang at the front is just 1.5” and 2.5” at the rear it would have been nice to taper the rear more progressively but it really is long enough already.

That looks great man!

I assume you're going to glue on foam to sculpt the cockpit hump?

You could make a mold off of that body to lay the fiberglass on the inside, so you have less sanding work on the nasty fiberglass resin. It should come out fairly smooth. But that may be more work than just smoothing the body.

Thanks both, It sanded quite nicely and you are right I could make a mold from it, I’ll think about it!

Regarding the cockpit and little man, yes the plan is to glue accessories on. I sent my drawing to a modeller friend and he said the the little man would be vulnerable in an accident, I told him that I thought of the pilot as a bit of whimsy and expendable. Poor fella.

Last edited:
I sent my drawing to a modeller friend and he said the the little man would be vulnerable in an accident, I told him that I thought of the pilot as a bit of whimsy and expendable. Poor fella.
Did you tell him the whole car would be vulnerable in an accident? 😄

Question - would that tail rolling over like that be trying to lift the back end?

Did you tell him the whole car would be vulnerable in an accident? 😄

Question - would that tail rolling over like that be trying to lift the back end?
He has already expressed his concern about the potential speed of the car, this of course remains to be seen.

The body isn’t well thought out, if it’s an issue I’ll run it without. The air screw cars go round in a strange way, because the engine has to be mounted high up in their cars the centre of gravity is all wrong, the cars reach equilibrium running hard on the tether and the outside wheels only, the wheel driven cars I have seen tend to sit on their wheels but must be prone to the same issue.

When I fit the pilot I will tell him that it is a great thing he does for King and country and if there is an accident he’s buggered.

Back