Tethered RC rocket car

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ahr43

Hardcore RCTalk User
Military Veteran
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Roog's tethered electric car project jogs memory of my starting a tethered project many years ago:

Roog's tether car

Tagging it the ahr43 RCR-1 (for RC Rocket Car #1), it was designed to become a straight-line tethered rocket car. At the time, early 2000's, there was an RC group in Utah running the Bonneville Salt Flats with tethered RC's. Sounded like a challenge so began my own project using a White Racing aluminum Rustler chassis. Twin aluminum tubing rails affixed to the underside of the chassis support a single rocket engine. No Rustler driveline. She was an all-fours free-roller. Still retaining a steering servo for reasons that escape me now. Guess so I could still claim it was "RC"?

Images are copies out of my RC album. Hesitated to remove them because not sure the album pages are acid-free and didn't want to disturb and possibly damage the photos. So they be kinda hard to see. But the memories are there. Often wonder how it would have run out. . . had I followed through.

Anyway, ROOG's build in projects thread is really a first-class effort. Worth a look see.

20240211_121100_resize.jpg

20240211_121848_resize_vintage.jpg

Roog's tethered electric car project jogs memory of my starting a tethered project many years ago:

Roog's tether car

Tagging it the ahr43 RCR-1 (for RC Rocket Car #1), it was designed to become a straight-line tethered rocket car. At the time, early 2000's, there was an RC group in Utah running the Bonneville Salt Flats with tethered RC's. Sounded like a challenge so began my own project using a White Racing aluminum Rustler chassis. Twin aluminum tubing rails affixed to the underside of the chassis support a single rocket engine. No Rustler driveline. She was an all-fours free-roller. Still retaining a steering servo for reasons that escape me now. Guess so I could still claim it was "RC"?

Images are copies out of my RC album. Hesitated to remove them because not sure the album pages are acid-free and didn't want to disturb and possibly damage the photos. So they be kinda hard to see. But the memories are there. Often wonder how it would have run out. . . had I followed through.

Anyway, ROOG's build in projects thread is really a first-class effort. Worth a look see.

View attachment 181372

View attachment 181373

A Rocket powered car, now why didn’t I think of this!
Light, powerful, short run time, it ticks all the boxes.
I wonder if the club will allow it?

Back