RC Car Action World's Fastest RC Car Challenge!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Perhaps this would be a great opportunity for a "Team RCNT" entry???? There are a lot of creative minds lingering around here. Lord knows what we could come up with....

Candyman said:
Perhaps this would be a great opportunity for a "Team RCNT" entry???? There are a lot of creative minds lingering around here. Lord knows what we could come up with....

I agree. I think this would be a great opportunity to see what the creative minds of RCNT could come up with. It's not a whole lot of time but Ithink someting could come together in time.

The suzuki engines are well under 40 inches. It might be cramped, but they could definitely fit.

63mph RC10GT said:
The suzuki engines are well under 40 inches. It might be cramped, but they could definitely fit.

Um actually, aerodynamics will play a bigger part in it than anything else. You'll either have to lay the engine down, which would be somewhat aerodynamic, or keep the engine upright and it'd be like a brick wall going own the straight. It'd flip before it hit decent speeds....actually it'd be a brick wall either way with a limit of 40 inches.

Not to mention you don't want to have it wider than longer since that'll create a lot of stability problems.

Candyman said:

I was thinking of something like that. I went over my car i'm gonna use and might end up buying a new car. Thinkin super nitro since i can run bigger tires and my gearing doesn't have to be as extreme. I may or may not need custom gears/parts made.

If anything I was hoping to con a few local socal RCNT people into helping me out down there and entering in the team division...give some advertising to the forum if the car is seen in the mag.

Last edited:
Ok, here's a thought. Seems the leaning is to use a standard 4-wheel chassis. I was looking at the recent history of the land speed record. For the past 30 years, the holders of the land speed record have been vehicles that look basically like horizontal rockets. 3 wheels. Missle shaped body. Fins for stability. Why not design a thin roundbar tricycle chassis that can hold the engine, control system and other stuff. Then skin it in thin aluminum or lexan. Use very narrow wheels to reduce contact friction. Keep the body way down to reduce drag. As far as driveline. You could use something like a strengthened RC10GT tranny hooked to a nitro engine, or perhaps a turbine. If you use bevel gears for pinon and spur, the whole driveline can be basically mounted along the centerline of the chassis....

Why wouldn't you make a custom 40 inch long drag car out of carbon fiber, and with a Shumaker 3 speed tranny and a 1/8 scale buggy diff. Then take the biggest baddest outlaw onroad engine you could get your hands on(probably a Novarossi), and port it. Gear it for top speed obviously, and give her hell.

I can't see why you would need to put a differential in a dragster but that brings to mind another thought... Are they hosting this on the speedway or the dragstrip????

But anyways, here's what I forsee.. I think a lot of people are gonna be putting as much hp in 1/8 scale cars as can possibly fit. I would also bet somebody out there is gonna make a custom 4-speed tranny. At least that's what I would do if I had the means (and talent). I wonder if anybody will try to make a multi cylinder 2 stroker????? The only limit to this is funds and people out there have it.

You don't need a 4 speed or more than one gear for that matter. All that will do is add more rotating mass to the drivetrain. This isn't a drag race, it's a speed challenge. I'll bet they will have at least a half mile to do the run, so acceleration isn't the biggest deal, just need to concentrate on top end.

My RS4 has a 2-speed in it right now. I'll be converting back to a single speed.

As for where they're doing it at, I don't know. I'm unsure if a 1/4 mile will be enough for some cars. So it might be at a speedway. They are still trying to find a place where the cost won't be rediculouse.

kwong2001 said:
You don't need a 4 speed or more than one gear for that matter. I'll bet they will have at least a half mile to do the run, so acceleration isn't the biggest deal, just need to concentrate on top end.

I'd like to see you give your car full throttle for a half mile. That would probably be its only half mile as it would get pretty damn hot in that amount of time. especially if it is all bogged down from being geared sooooooo high for top speed. :2cents:

http://rcnitro.com/rn/articles/SuperNitro2_2.asp

I obviously needed to get up to speed a little sooner so I’d be able to get off the throttle in time to avoid hitting the bump. I replaced the 30-percent-nitro fuel with a 40-percent blend and headed out for another pass. It was getting dark and this would be our last run. At about 70mph, the engine was accelerating so strongly that it simply ripped all the teeth off the spur gear.

Again, you don't need to have more than one gear. It won't overheat the engine, you'll get up to speed just fine. There's a BIG difference between sport engines and race engines. I, and every nitro person going to the event will be running high end engines.

You can't get any benefit from a multiple speed transmission simply because you won't be able to lay down the power. You'll blow your gears before you hit speed. It isn't a drag race. They will probably have about a half mile of space to run the car.

A 4 speed would add a HUGE amount of added rotating mass. It's pointless. You want the drivetrain as free as possible. +100mph isn't an easy task to do.

Your best bet is to go off the line accelerating slowly and giving throttle at an even rate. Only when you get to around 70-80mph should you be at full throttle.

Well, did they ever do it? What were the results? Anyone know?

It's not until after June. They're still looking for a suitable place to hold the contest at.

I decided last week to pull out of it since my financial situation really didn't give me a whole lot of room to build something in the time frame given.

Back