Ready to run or ready to wreck ?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah,, I know the kind, but its good that you are able to help them with it,, most latch key kids will end up going in the wrong direction in life if they can't get answers to there problems from some one,,these kids dont want there parents to help, they just want them to be interested and mabye find the time to watch now and then, sad but true!if you have the time and want to help them thats all good, they will look up to you and thank you for it later in life. well, most of them anyway!

lol, I was running my ntc3 the other day, and the kid across the street who's like 3 years old or something, had a little zip zap r/c from radio shack...I knew he got it cuz of me.

If he was much old like maybe 10 years old, i'd let him drive my ntc3, just turn down the setting on the throttle so it won't go very fast....i've done that with a few neighborhood kids before.

Originally posted by kwong2001
lol, I was running my ntc3 the other day, and the kid across the street who's like 3 years old or something, had a little zip zap r/c from radio shack...I knew he got it cuz of me.

If he was much old like maybe 10 years old, i'd let him drive my ntc3,
kwong, he DID get it because of you!, you need to tell him that when he gets older he can drive your car, and watch the expression on his face when you say it,, its priceless!!

RTR

Well, here is my experience.

I was really into RC Cars / trucks about 15-16 years ago. I had a kyosho ultima (first car) that I built - electric. It was about the same time the RC10 was getting popular in my area. I used to race it at local tracks & such. Then I got a oval street car. I was really into it for a few years. Then I went to college, got married, got a job, had kids, etc-- so I abandoned the hobby for a bunch of years.

RTR got me back into it. A neighbor of mine had some duratrax nitro cars - I started talking to him & picked up a copy of RC CAR action. I saw the T-maxx RTR and was amazed that it was built for me. They didn't offer such a thing when I got out of the hobby.

So I bought the maxx and ran it for about 4-5 months.. then I got a rustler RTR -- wasn't happy with the quality and am selling it on Ebay. I just ordered an RC10GT factory team kit.

RTR got me back in the hobby, and now I am going to build my first kit in over 13 years. I am really looking forward to it, and really enjoy the hobby. Thank goodness for RTR!

Rsgunther good luck with that RC10GT, I just got my RTR plus in the mail and I love it, great RC tons of fun, enjoy it, and enjoy building it, something I plan to do with my next RC. Another I would like to say real quick is that I know we don't like RTRs for certin reasons and we also don't like crappy RC's (duratrax) but if it was not for that duratrax( and a little help from you guys) I would no know how to wrench like I can now, Thanks again guys.

Here is my take on this.. I had problems on my rtr kit and that brought up questions that needed to be answered and all I got were comments like why did you buy that P.O.S.? or sell it and buy a serpent or an NTC3? what kind of LHS tells a fellow enthusiast that they made a crappy choice in nitro cars ? THey need to be encouraging them by telling them that eventhough the car or truck they bought may not be easy to tune; they still can make it run like a champ with proper tuning and a little patience. Kwong made great point; LHS need to have some sort of tech class to help out fellow nitro or electric rc enthusiasts!
Also, when I do get help they make it seem that they are all knowing and that all they want is to answer your questions with "uh-huh" or "sure". BUT when they know you want to buy a kit or a rtr they are sticking to you like white on rice. That's why I am happy to be part of great forum as RC NITRO TALK. Everyone tries to help everyone as much as possible.
HEY LHS try this one for once....HELP us figure it out not whine because we are asking.!!!!!

I haven't read through the entire thread but my first real R/C was a kit.A Rs4 3 type SS to be exact.I had been interested in the hobby for a long time before I could actually afford one myself.I read up on electrics at first but gave up because the start up was to expensive.I read an article in RCCA on the Type SS and was hooked on nitro before I even owned one.I searched tower for all the stuff I needed and my SS was on its way.The kit gave me a better understanding of how everything worked and made it alot easier to fix/mod it.Engine tuning was real hard to get the hang of though.I bought another Mag at Wal-Mart that had engine tuning tips and went from there.It was a month before I found my LHS and the forums too so I had to do it all by my self.

When I got my Savage21 RTR I tore the whole truck down before I even put a drop of fuel in it.My experience with the first kit and reading the forums taught me alot and I wanted to make sure it was assembled right.I've got to be pretty good freinds with the guys at my LHS and they get alot of people that just buy a RTR and bring it back the same day broken.They had to put stickers on all the kits in the store telling people this is not a toy and to buy wisely.One kids mom bought him a buggy and was back in ten minutes because "they buggy was broken".It turned out they didn't even put any fuel in it or even bought a glow igniter and didn't know why it wouldn't start!Just recently a guy brought back one of the new Schumacher trucks(the 3 speed one) totally destroyed!!!!He had bought it the same day and destroyed it within hours.he fueled it up and went WOT into a car.He didn't even follow the break in steps,he just destroyed it.He wanted his money back too LOL.IMO some people just don't have the skills or the patients for this hobby.People should at least read up the hobby before they decide to shell out hundreds of dollars for an R/C.

Rex2342

I agree with you Rex. But I think that Kwong's idea about have classes for newbies makes good business sense hobby shops should follow his suggestion. Because a happy customer will be a repeat customer and your best advertizer.

Back