Local Hobby Shop Problem.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Earn their respect Noob!!!!

1- Decide what parts you want to replace.
2- Research then here and on the net.
3- Go to the LHS and ask his opinion.
4- QUESTION HIS OPINION and why he recommends what he does.
5- Bring his recommendations here and research them
6- Go back to the LHS and purchase.
7- Disclose to the sales person WHY YOU MADE THE CHOICE YOU DID.

Not only will you learn more this way, you will also show the sales person that you have other sources of info and will ALWAYS use them before making a purchase. After you do this a few times he will understand that you are truly interested in learning the hobby and wont be spoon fed.

I will have to add that this MUST be done with TACT. You don't want to go in and act like a know it all or an butthead. His opinion and experance in the hobby will be needed at some time in the future. You will need to use phrases like,

Why do you like this .... (Part Name) rather then (Part name)

Hmmm. Interesting, let me check it out and get back to you.

I was doing some reading on....., and wanted to know your thoughts on...

Why do you recommend xxxxx over xxxxx.

I heard that XXX may be a better choice then XXX what do you think...

I value your input but I'm going to research it and see what I come up with.

Can I get you a soda?

Will you show me a few things at the track?

And my all time faverote...... I'm going to get the XXX here even if I have to order it but want to make sure I'm getting the best possible part. Lets talk about everything thats available, not just what you have in stock.

and My favorite....I saw this for a lot cheaper but I'd rather give you my business and help support the hobby....can you do any better on the price???

Yes My father liked to drag me to the swapshop on weekends to look for bargains.....

Plaidfish said:
and My favorite....I saw this for a lot cheaper but I'd rather give you my business and help support the hobby....can you do any better on the price???
I don't have to use that one any more, I forgot....
When I walk in they automaticly fire up their Internet browser and ask what price they have to match..... Its a given.... I will usually tell them to add a dollar or two for the shipping I would have to pay. Its a good compromise.

Can I buy you a soda, LMAO!!!!

I general get happy if they meet the price difference in the middle...I figure that's fair...I get instant gratification and they get my business.....

My shop already beats tower prices so I don't need to compare there...but if I find a real good deal online I'll mention it......I haven't had to buy from an online supplier (other than kingheadz) yet......

Humbolt that line will get you more than you would EVER think...

Well, I just got back in. Took a quick run down to the hobby shop for some bolts, a motor mount, a front and rear bulkhead and some new shocks. He suprisigly had a lot to say today. He was still generally condesending, but he was a bit more helpfull. I came in knowing I wanted the springs, a set of Associated for a small project I'm doing. He asked why and if I was sure I needed the springs and tried to sell me something else. I simply told him they needed to be Associated, the stock plastic ones for the T-Maxxxx so he finally got the right ones. I got the bulheads, he gave me what I needed, cause they don't sell titanium, gold plated super strong bulk heads. I couldn't find anything suitable to mount my motor, so I went ahead and popped for a nice roto start get up for my new RC10Gt. I am pretty sure he has now realized that I wasn't just some casuall customer looking for a quick laugh playing with a toy car. he knows that I am going to keep coming back for more parts- And thats the only thing that is really gonna affect how he sees me. Thanks for all the great posts guys, They really helped out.

Maybe I missed out on the result of your search for a new nitro r/c, but did you already get the rc10gt? Last I heard you were looking at a Duratrax?!?

What were the T-Maxx bulkheads for?

Last edited:
Well, as a beginner to the hobby, I was looking for anything with a heavy truck feel, Something that could take being bashed around by an idiot driver. I made a simple comment that I might be in the market for one and got FLOODED with offers, The Duratrax was at the top of my list, until I got some opinions on it. Recently RedHatMan gave me a great deal on an RC10GT set up that I could not let pass. So yep, got my new truck, got a rotostart kit for it and plan on driving the hell outta it.

You'll enjoy it, RC10GTs are easy to work on and easy to find parts for.

O, and the bulkheads. Thats kind of a stupid project I have in my head. i am determined to add some befier suspension to my HPI, so I am going to modify the stock chasis to accept a diffrent set of front and rear arms and bulkheads, then I'm going to TRY to get crazy with the suspension. In the famous words of some other guy, It's my "Floogleheimer"

If you think your hobby shop is bad, there is one here whos' motto is "if it has two wheels and flies, or runs on the water, DON'T BOTHER!".

Thankfully, we have 4 shops to choose from (in this little hole in the wall town).... And two more 60-70 miles away.

I just don't appreciate it when the owner tries to tell you that they are putting only a small markup on their merchandise when they really arent.

The one I worked for (mentioned above) had a markup of almost-double (100%, or MSRP, whichever was more). After I left it, the whole focus changed to cars-only. If you wanted planes, trains, boats or models, the attitude was (and still is, from what I hear), "go elsewhere and don't waste our time". If it wasn't for the other three (one is an indoor offroad track with an onsite shop), I'd start my own.

Back