Local Hobby Shop Problem.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tweak

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Ok, I hope someone here can help me out with a little problem I have been having with my local hobby shop. ( Edited, totally uncalled for and not wanted or needed here!...- NCNitro)

My Local hobby shop, witch I am not going to name is right down the street from me. Thru all means possible, I can not locate a decent shop ANYWHERE near my house. It is a fairl large hobby shop, got a nice selection and most of the people are nice. it is sectioned off into several diffrent genra's (sp?)
There's the R/c section, the electric section, die-cast, military, air plane etc.

Now I will get to the section in question. R/c, namely nitro. there are several people working in this shop. The lady that checks you out after you pick your parts, the guys over the other sections and then there is the guy over the Nitro division. We will call him... Doug, for all intents and purposes.

Now, Doug is an allright guy, allthough a little overbearing and... well- Mean.

He knows I am new to nitro racing, he knows I didn't know jack about it the first time I stepped into the store. Here is my problem. Doug is the R/c guy as mentioned above. He is the only person I can deal with when I go in the store. The first time I went in the store Doug looked at my smartech and litirally called me a "Noobie" yes, he actually called me that. now, I can take a joke. But he has adopted it as a nickname for me now, and I don't appreciate it. After the name calling sesion he asked me what I wanted. i told him I wanted a small fuel filter, a new tuned pipe, a new set of tires, a glow plug, some goos fuel, some after run and other misc. poop.

He then showed me an extra large fuel filter, I am assuming meant for a REVO'ish size rig. I told him I wanted a SMALL filter, so with a sigh of exasperation he goes and gets it. He then tried to sell me a Trinity tuned pipe, but told me I would need to buy a specail extender that loops around, from the right side of the eni\gine, across the front extending to the back. I pointed out one that I thought would look nice, and again he sighed and got it. It works fine, no extender needed, even tho he said they carry "nothing that will fit without modification to your engine." This was pretty much the tone of the entire conversation for the rest of the picking process. He was condesending, rude and generally uninformed on the stuff I needed.

I then got up to pay for the stuff, The chick rang me up, did not say a word to me, then just sat her ass back down to much on a huge bag of dorito's. So I meekly motioned for her attention. She came over and asked what I needed and I told her I was curious about thier track. She started to explain it to me, the prices and such, so I signed up. Ten bucks later I am standing by the door, she is too busy to pay any heed to me. I finnally get ahold of a NICE person (kinda a rare thing here) and ask him the all important question, Wheres the ****** track AT? So I go out and race a few laps, then go home.

Also edited, for continual use of excessive profanity...NCNitro
I come in a few days later and the same poop unfolds. Now, after this long ass chain of events, i am going to ask someone else for help. How, without sounding like an butthead can I tell this guy to show some decency? He just wants to sell the most expensive part to whoever he can, and he still calls me Noobie. Anything I ask, he just gives some mediocre answer then points out how he could sell me something to fix it. As I poited out before, I can't go anywhere else. I need to tell this guy to quit being such an ass and just act nicely to someone who could possibly mean a lot of extra business for him. I have already bought two new rigs and plan on keeping them in good shape.

HELP ME!

Last edited by a moderator:
he probally thinks that he can sell you the most expensive parts because you are new to the hobby. i would just ask him if he treats all his newcomers to the hobby this way and thats all. the same thing happened to me. i was a newb and went to my lhs and asked what a good bashing st. he told me a nitro evader st. so i bought it 2 months later without doing research and bought the pos, had nothing but probs. so i went down there again and asking what a good onroad is and i was looking at the rs4 3. and the guy said that the best right now is the nitro 4 tec, knowing better i walked out back when they where racing and asked all them what was a decent car. and nothing but complants about the 4tec. so i asked the guy at the lhs why he tried to sell me a POS. and of course he denied it. but all in all i didnt buy it. and now I'm starting to get a little respect for my lhs.

I had a similar experiecence locally. I finally got fed up after thousands and thousands of dollars spent. I finally gave up and told him to eat a bowl of them. I either shop online or shop out of town. Show him by not being a customer. Maybe tell his boss in an email that's why you do not shop there anymore. I would go that route, especially if he is calling you poop like Noobie. What a jerkoff.

bring someone thats knowes a bit more about them.. sounds like hes just out to get some cash.. not to help you.. i would say find out as much as you can on the items you want befor you go so when he feeds you the bs you can throw it back at him..

you want a small fuel filter.. he hands you the big one.. you want decent pipe he hands you expencive one that has to have a bunch of other poop..

he is just out for the cash.. sounds like he is on commission.. are you talkin about the one on 45?? or is it a different one?

sorry your lhs is an ass.. the one i normaly go to has over priced items.. and doesn't even really talk to you.. the owner is cool but the regular guy is like heres your stuff.. bye.. the only good one around here frikkin closed..

so when you comming to bash man?? knowledge is power.. the more you learn the less they can jerk you around..

I posted on the thred about bashing. Hopefully this weekend if USPS doens't fiddlesticks me again. This is the one on Belairre, ill go ahead and name the damn thing anyhow. It's M & M Hobby, Off of Chimney rock and belairre. It's the one with the big car on the pole.

[inwindow=300]http://www.mmhobby.com/html/main.html[/inwindow]

The guy in the blue shirt is what I am talking about. And ya, I think I'm gonna send them an email or two this week. I am going to go in there one more time when I get my RC10 and see what he has to say about it.

Tweak said:
I posted on the thred about bashing. Hopefully this weekend if USPS doens't fiddlesticks me again. This is the one on Belairre, ill go ahead and name the damn thing anyhow. It's M & M Hobby, Off of Chimney rock and belairre. It's the one with the big car on the pole.

[inwindow=300]http://www.mmhobby.com/html/main.html[/inwindow]

The guy in the blue shirt is what I am talking about. And ya, I think I'm gonna send them an email or two this week. I am going to go in there one more time when I get my RC10 and see what he has to say about it.

Be nice and professional in what you do. It will have a greater impact if you keep your composer and be honest.

Money always talks and if you can suggest you're taking your money elsewhere, they will change their tune.

Another good strategy would be to post here any upgrades or parts you're thinking of. We'll help you sort out exactly what parts you need. That way when you walk in there, you can go in armed with the info you need so they don't try to pull it over on you. After you go in and show them you are learning the right stuff, they'll start to treat you with a bit more respect. He may still call you Noob, but at least then it will be just a nickname and not a slam.

that sucks to have people like that. 3 out of the 4 guys at my lhs are rude like that, but dont try to sell me the really expensive stuff. I always try to get the one good guy. I would say just ask the guy straight forward why he is saying all of this stuff to you. Or just watch him deal with other customers and see if he acts like that to them also.

Good sugestions guys. And I have watched him deal with others, it seems to be the concensus that he's just rude. I think that I could probably talk with others in the shop. There is one really nice guy- He's on commision too, tho.

I'd look at the stuff you want online before-hand, then go in, tell them what you want, and if he trys to sell you something different, try to be polite and tell him, that that's not what you want. The if he insists w/ the name calling, tell him you don't appreciate it, and if he still does all this, I'd tell him to go fiddlesticks off, along w/ all the retards there...and I'd prob. end up doing something illegal in the process too, but then again, I have anger issues...

Mr Tweak, I'm just going to suggest something take it as you wish. There are all kinds of different people that read this forum, young and old. I see that you use an excessive ammount of profanity. This is not the only post that I've seen it in. Ease off of the f-bombs and such. To be totally honest I've got a mouth like a sailor, but its just you need to know where and when to unleash it. Just my .02.

Tweak, it's a shame when people in the hobby stores do that. It makes me look at my own LHS and be thankful for the people that run the place. Here is my suggestion ...

Since you are close to a few members here, geographically, maybe after a few runs with them they can go in there with you and just help out. I would also look for another employee and give him the sale instead of that person. The one thing I would do most is to keep your wits about you and take it up with the owner of the store. Explain the situation and see what he says. If all fails, PM me and hopefully I can helop in the situation. I can get you some help from my LHS since they have done and continue to do out of state as well as overseas shipping to customers that are referred to them by regular patrons.

It would be nice to look at a selection online and have a starting base to go from. The selection I have found online suprisgly looks a lot diffrent than anything they sell there, But they have a lot of big name parts, and I don't frequent the manufaturer's sites. I think it may take this guy a few visits for him to warm up to me, then maybe he will lay off. i think I made it clear last time about the nicknames, and I caught him calling another guy the same thing. Hopefully it will all just wash over. VbGagnon, Sorry about that. Next time just shoot me a PM please?

Tweak, about your swearing ... it makes me laugh because I remember the first time you introduced yourself, you said you just got out of the Navy as a SEAL. That's not what makes me laugh, what makes me laugh is that practically all of my friends that went into the service had mouths that would make any "old school" nun faint!

Even my brother in-law has a mouth like that. He was a career navy man. Went in straight out of HS and retired only 3 years ago with the rank of Master Chief (I think ... don't quote me) but over 30 years in the Navy then retiring in Vegas ... I think he misses the ocean and Lake Mead ain't cutting it. LOL

I guess shipboard life just does that to some people in general. Hanging around with hundreds of other guys for months on end can grate on your nerves. And the seals are actually worse. You should hear it when they take a nice run on the beach. It could make any grown man cry out in pain from the words spoken.

Sorry to hear that the asses are alive in Texas, but...

"Rob's R/C Hobbies" in Garden Grove, CA, Ships anywhere amd will match almost all prices. (714-372-3777) or website. Friendlist place I have ever walked into.

Tweak said:
I guess shipboard life just does that to some people in general. Hanging around with hundreds of other guys for months on end can grate on your nerves. And the seals are actually worse. You should hear it when they take a nice run on the beach. It could make any grown man cry out in pain from the words spoken.

Did I miss something here??

You are a retired Navy Seal and you are letting a pimple faced LHS attendent treat you this way :shrug:

Tweak just remember who you are talking to when you walk in there...this is some 40's lookin guy who works at a hobby shop.....I'm not saying he's scum, but obviously when you get someone who's at that time inlife they should be easing into the retirement frame of mind and you realize "hey I work in a toy store" he's got to get his power trip on somehow.....I've seen many men do that same attitude when I worked for Paragon Sporting in NYC.....think about it....the only time he feels justified is when someone knowing less than him comes and asks for help......OH goody I can bash the new guy is going through his mind......you lost the battle already by letting him get to you.....don't SEALs learn Psych Warfare and what not??? anyway if it bothers you and he sees it, you gave him what he wanted.....guys like that usually test the water before jumping in w/ both feet and the name calling......as soon as he said Noobie (which really sounds like he's just playin w/ ya anyway) I'd have called him techno weeny.....see it works both ways......IMO it sounds like he was trying to help you w/ the filter issue....I personally don't use those little filters....they clog too quickly it seems.....the larger ones (especially the stone ones) work better and will let you idle longer when you flip over......every one has to get over the learning curve somehow....sounds like a bash day w/ the Htown crew would be a big benny for you

I think the guy is an overall good person. he seems to know what he is talking about- He just likes to present it in a way that seems overbearing and sometimes rude. He obviously knows his job, as he has been with the shop for a looooong time. I think he was just pushing for quality parts. Either way theres a lot of good suggestions here, and I'm going back today to see if things have cooled down.

I know the place you're talking about, and, yes they do work for commission. The one off of 45 is owned by the other brother. Shopping online would be you're best bet, towerhobbies, and ebay are my favorites.

Back