HPI-Killers AE MGT 4.6 & LRP .32 MGT Thread

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well now that I have a new ignitor, plugs and a recently acquired another 4.6 MGT I can go to one and try to diagnose then trial and error on the mysteriously non-working one...

---

Question, is it possible to mod the 4.6 into a dual tank setup to run 2 tanks without any performance issues when switching from the empty tank over to the full tank? Or possibly run the lines to draw equal amounts of fuel from each tank? The tanks are too damn small on these pigs!

In the early days of my first Savage I set it up for twin tanks.

Fuel_flow.jpg

Another question, what size are the stock 4.60 tires? Are they in the same class as 40 series tires?

I'm going to upgrade my tires and want to keep the same beast stance. Also do they make a beadlock wheel that fits the factory MGT tire size?

Headed out with MGT #2 for fomr pics and some Gopro FPV bash footage! Hahah hell yeah!

Alright folks since I have 2 of these MGTs I figured I would change the thread name and just combine both trucks into this thread known as 1 & 2. Got some pretty good running footage of #2 and hope to have a YT vid up tomorrow along with a Black n Blue JK vid up as well.

No super crazy dare devil bashing but it will be alright.

Leave it to a hippie to bring you pictures...
GOPR9279_zpsa140a0a6.jpg

DSCF9005_zps008169a6.jpg

All happend within 15 minutes of running it after hitting a jump WOT at work on asphalt, scratched it bad, dented 2 or 3 heat fins and put a 30* bend in the roll bar... Haha
DSCF9008_zps9b831efa.jpg

GOPR9296_zps2aa9f79d.jpg

GOPR9304_zps4a260bbc.jpg

Well now that I have a new ignitor, plugs and a recently acquired another 4.6 MGT I can go to one and try to diagnose then trial and error on the mysteriously non-working one...

---

Question, is it possible to mod the 4.6 into a dual tank setup to run 2 tanks without any performance issues when switching from the empty tank over to the full tank? Or possibly run the lines to draw equal amounts of fuel from each tank? The tanks are too damn small on these pigs!

I have found numerous threads on other sites that have the dual tank mod.

---------- Post added at 5:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 5:16 PM ----------

Another question, what size are the stock 4.60 tires? Are they in the same class as 40 series tires?

I'm going to upgrade my tires and want to keep the same beast stance. Also do they make a beadlock wheel that fits the factory MGT tire size?

Headed out with MGT #2 for fomr pics and some Gopro FPV bash footage! Hahah hell yeah!

Any 3.2 rim will hold the stocker MGT tire. I do not know the diameter of the tire for sure. The Maximizer's are a really good 3.2 beadlock wheel, from what I have researched.

Okay a bit of a pickle here... I have one Savox 1258tg servo that is in need of a home and I decided on putting her in my MGT #2, but where? I'm deciding between throttle/brake or steering, I dont use reverse much at all so thats out... Any ideas on where the upgrade is more logical??

Also what can I do to tighten the steering to give me all steering with no slop..? Theres gotta be a way to make her turn like a dream...

Thanks guys!

I'm not familiar with the MGT steering but most rigs with large tires need a very strong steering servo, servo horn and HD saver. Most of the time that will eliminate the bump steer.

HD saver? Do all rigs have them or? If it is built within the steering itself then I will replace it with the savox.

Okay a bit of a pickle here... I have one Savox 1258tg servo that is in need of a home and I decided on putting her in my MGT #2, but where? I'm deciding between throttle/brake or steering, I dont use reverse much at all so thats out... Any ideas on where the upgrade is more logical??

Also what can I do to tighten the steering to give me all steering with no slop..? Theres gotta be a way to make her turn like a dream...

Thanks guys!

The stocker servo's that come with the MGT's are total poo! I was lucky to get a gallon of use from the throttle servo's on both of my MGT's I am currently running the HPI SF-50 steering servo on my track rig. I have had good luck with these servo's and they are pretty cheap on ebay. I run them both on the steering and throttle. If your looking for a steering upgrade the Factory Team kit is the best way to go if you can locate one. I had to buy mine in individual parts and put it together. GPM makes one also that is probably better than stock but, GPM is kind of known for soft aluminum parts. I would think there steering linkage would be decent though. I have run one on a couple maxx rigs without any issue's. Plus they are only like 20 bucks on ebay I think. If you can get the FT one it has the servo saver built into the unit. Like the newer style #4907 maxx stock setup.

Just so happens I have a couple of those exact HPI servos lying around!! Are they the same 24t count so itll switch over fine? Would a "fast" turning servo help much for either throttle/brake or steering? Lol working on 2 rigs at once tonight so my brain is justa MOVIN!!

Just so happens I have a couple of those exact HPI servos lying around!! Are they the same 24t count so itll switch over fine? Would a "fast" turning servo help much for either throttle/brake or steering? Lol working on 2 rigs at once tonight so my brain is justa MOVIN!!

Yep there 24t count. I doubt you would need a faster servo for the throttle. Mine are pretty quick.

Is there a way to get this beast up on 2 wheels? I switched tires/wheels to the original MAXX pattern but not a clue if smaller tires help.. I also have the suspension pretty stiff on all 8 shocks, is this helping or not with the wheel stand situation?

A stiff rear suspension will help with wheelies. The best way to get more low end grunt out of a nitro would be gear down or get a better pipe tuned for low end power....a good tuned pipe makes a big difference! I have been out of nitro for a while so I'm not up to date on the pipes available anymore. If there's room a larger spur gear is the cheapest route to gear down.

I want to change out my exhaust header to relocate the exhaust to the side instead of the rear exhaust. What MGT comes stock with the side exhaust, the 8.0?..

I want to change out my exhaust header to relocate the exhaust to the side instead of the rear exhaust. What MGT comes stock with the side exhaust, the 8.0?..

None of the MGT rigs came stock with a side exit exhaust header. Team Associated makes there own side exit for both the 8.0 and the .21 and the pro.28 trucks. You have to be careful with there headers though, The .21 will not interchange with the .28 without serious dremel work. I will try and locate the proper part# for the .28 for you. I would recommend if you want the side exit though, to go with the Losi XXL or LST2 header. There are a lot more pipes to choose from if you go with the Losi header. The only down fall with the Losi header is that your pipe will hang out a tad past your chassis side guard. I am sure you can bend the header to a point to make up the difference though. I am currently running the rear exit RD Logics .28 exhaust on my track rig and I can tell you it performs great. It delivers a nice smooth power band on my LRP.32. I am thinking about doing a thread on different pipe setups and header combo's for the MGT and see which one performs the best. If you don't mind shelling out the cash the ECRM pipe with the Team Associated header combo will prob yield serious diff blowing power LOL! I do prefer the rear exit though myself.

None of the MGT rigs came stock with a side exit exhaust header. Team Associated makes there own side exit for both the 8.0 and the .21 and the pro.28 trucks. You have to be careful with there headers though, The .21 will not interchange with the .28 without serious dremel work. I will try and locate the proper part# for the .28 for you. I would recommend if you want the side exit though, to go with the Losi XXL or LST2 header. There are a lot more pipes to choose from if you go with the Losi header. The only down fall with the Losi header is that your pipe will hang out a tad past your chassis side guard. I am sure you can bend the header to a point to make up the difference though. I am currently running the rear exit RD Logics .28 exhaust on my track rig and I can tell you it performs great. It delivers a nice smooth power band on my LRP.32. I am thinking about doing a thread on different pipe setups and header combo's for the MGT and see which one performs the best. If you don't mind shelling out the cash the ECRM pipe with the Team Associated header combo will prob yield serious diff blowing power LOL! I do prefer the rear exit though myself.

I wouldnt be so mind set on changing exhaust locations if the AE header didnt swing out and around so far, I have to notch every body where the header swings or suffer burns and melting plastic on my header...

If I found more of a discrete tucked in header I wouldnt mind the rear exit exhaust.

I wouldnt be so mind set on changing exhaust locations if the AE header didnt swing out and around so far, I have to notch every body where the header swings or suffer burns and melting plastic on my header...

If I found more of a discrete tucked in header I wouldnt mind the rear exit exhaust.

My RD pipe setup is tucked nicely under the body prob better than the stock exhaust. The Associated side exit header does tuck in like it should and keeps your pipe exiting through the side plate as it should. I have researched on other forums that the Losi header provides better power increase's.

My RD pipe setup is tucked nicely under the body prob better than the stock exhaust. The Associated side exit header does tuck in like it should and keeps your pipe exiting through the side plate as it should. I have researched on other forums that the Losi header provides better power increase's.

This header pictured within your MGT Racer built thread? I may be interested, one of my pet peeves is hacking the body up to fit around things that could be improved with a sprinkle of magic pixie dust and common sense:hehe:

This header pictured within your MGT Racer built thread? I may be interested, one of my pet peeves is hacking the body up to fit around things that could be improved with a sprinkle of magic pixie dust and common sense:hehe:[/QUOY

Yah I think the pics should still be up bro.